What's new

*Fatip Slant*

I finally got the FOCS gold from Connaughts, had to use today
Fit was tight....had to push top plate out.
Put a Polsylver #2 in; I actually had to place it x 3 to get an even exposure...as much as posible.
MC Vetiver
Commodore 2
Proraso Red AS
Pre de Provance AB
Started w head...had a lot of blade feel, interestingly both sides. I haven't used the silver version lately but this felt more.
Did 2 passes and still had some left (unusual).
Decided to split face one side FOCS gold and the other I used the new RR Lupo (OC) w a Bic #3 or 4.
The Focs side I only did one pass....was burning too much, had to finish last pass w the other. RR side was smooth. Finally had to do another pass on the head w RR to get a decent shave.
Focs was subpar shave with my best blade, and caused significant irritation....
This is a major let down......
Will try one of the rusky Gillette or an Israely blade......hope it gets better......

Put a Polsylver #2 in; I actually had to place it x 3 to get an even exposure...as much as posible.
MC Vetiver
Commodore 2
Proraso Red AS
Pre de Provance AB
Started w head...had a lot of blade feel, interestingly both sides. I haven't used the silver version lately but this felt more.
Decided to split face one side FOCS gold and the other I used the new RR Lupo (OC) w a Bic #3 or 4.
The Focs side I only did one pass....was burning too much, had to finish last pass w the other. RR side was smooth. Finally had to do another pass on the head w RR to get a decent shave.
Will try one of the rusky Gillette or an Israely blade......hope it gets better......
Are you outside of UK? How long did it take to reach you?

I think 3rd try Gold FOCS with a Silver star 2 blade; it was UNUSABLE, had to abort. This half of head face was saved w a Muhle R41 and Astra SP 2. The other half was done w my "old" original Focs w Vikings Sword blade 8.
PAA Doppleganger, Omega boar, Speick AS and Balm.

No blood, some irritation on the FOCS side, and this side was not bbs. The Gold version....no clue why on earth it's rough....

20210124_210400-01-01.jpeg

Another smooth shave...

I don't find FOCS to be more efficient than the average, razor and not more efficient than Piccolo open comb. Steep angle just gives me a scratchy face feel due to the shape of the comb. Shallow angle feels more like scraping than cutting. Too bad, I really got on board the hype train for this one.

Edit: no blade chatter or uneven exposure on my razor. Actually had issue removing the blade off the guides.

For those that own both OC slant and CC slant, what are some of the differences that you notice? I have the OC slant and am interested in trying out the CC slant. I'm wondering if it'll provide a slightly milder shave which is what I'm looking for.

Coming back to the FOCS.

SOTD 01252021.jpg

Used the FOCS w/ Personna LB (3). I got great shaves with the Slant in the past but my initial impression tends to stick in my mind; it was a bit rough to start off and I got some irritations. Coming back to it, it shaves nicely with mid-high blade feel for me. Not the smoothest on the first pass but once most of the stubbles are gone, it's smooth sailing. Fairly smooth overall and it never bit me as it'd done before. Result was a close DFS with no irritations.

I think shaving with the Karve OC-D razor helped me use less pressure and slow down the shave. With a shallow angle and a little more pressure, this razor and the Karve can bite easily. These efficient shavers help me hone my technique for a better shave.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
MC Vetiver
Commodore 2
Proraso Red AS
Pre de Provance AB

Please believe me that I mean this is the nicest way, you're doing something wrong. To once again quote @Raven Koenes on the FOCS, "when the blade looks wrong it's right."

I also find using a little finesse to load the blade and base plate on the FOCS works much better than trying to force it, and also when taking apart.

Please believe me that I mean this is the nicest way, you're doing something wrong. To once again quote @Raven Koenes on the FOCS, "when the blade looks wrong it's right."

I also find using a little finesse to load the blade and base plate on the FOCS works much better than trying to force it, and also when taking apart.
I have used it 2 more, the blade actually can barely be moved, so it just goes down and sits there....
So I didn't move it these 2 last times and the shave was worse...well I aborted w the Egyptian blade..... . Not even sure I want to try another blade in it.... I have a plethora of razors I like that provide me w better shaves.....life is too short

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I have used it 2 more, the blade actually can barely be moved, so it just goes down and sits there....
So I didn't move it these 2 last times and the shave was worse...well I aborted w the Egyptian blade..... . Not even sure I want to try another blade in it.... I have a plethora of razors I like that provide me w better shaves.....life is too short

Very sorry to hear.
I personally like mild razors with sharp blades, and to me the FOCS is a mild but very efficient razor to me. Perhaps try Gillette Silver Blue, I find that one the most comfortable and smooth blade in all my Fatip razors, but most other blades I use have worked well also.

Perhaps just a YMMV situation, just surprised because I find this Fatip razors to work very well.

I hope you have better results in the future.

This new golden FOCS is defective. Blades barely fit, then pushing the top cap into the head meets resistance (even worse to take apart). Either one of the blade poles is off (more distant) or the center screw is off.......then the whole geometry is crewed and the product is horrible shaves...... GSB today and the prize: 3 bleeding spots (I never get those.....well very seldom like once a year).
Wrote to the seller......

I'm going to guess......I lost 28 BP.

I do have 3 other Fatip Slants that are OK and probably another 12 Fatips, all handles, colors, etc.... But this, the one I had more expectation.....might have been the very last. BTW Schone still is in my top 3 razors.

I have read so many negative posts regarding Fatip here and many other sites.....and thought it was inaccurate.....till it hits you in the face....and makes you bleed.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
This new golden FOCS is defective. Blades barely fit, then pushing the top cap into the head meets resistance (even worse to take apart). Either one of the blade poles is off (more distant) or the center screw is off.......then the whole geometry is crewed and the product is horrible shaves...... GSB today and the prize: 3 bleeding spots (I never get those.....well very seldom like once a year).

I do have 3 other Fatip Slants that are OK and probably another 12 Fatips, all handles, colors, etc.... But this, the one I had more expectation.....might have been the very last. BTW Schone still is in my top 3 razors.

I have read so many negative posts regarding Fatip here and many other sites.....and thought it was inaccurate.....till it hits you in the face....and makes you bleed.

Sorry I didn't know you had other Fatip slants and others that work for you. You're most likely correct about the one giving you trouble is detective in some way.

I hope the seller does the right thing and replaces your razor.

I would agree with you that your FOCS is defective. I also purchased a gold FOCS from Connaught, but my results were the polar opposite of yours. Mine is the best Fatip I've owned. Blades fit perfectly with no need for adjustment, the cap and base plate fit together without precision and the shaves are wonderfully smooth. I wondered if Fatip had improved ther QC or if I just got lucky. It sounds as if it's the latter.

I've generally had good results dealing with Connaught; I'm hoping to hear that they stand behind their merchandise and send you a replacement or refund.

So other than potential faulty models what are the current issues people are having with the slant? I've only read a handful of pages and it seems mostly positive reviews with only a few people pretty unimpressed.

I was thinking of picking one up as I love the piccolo but I may wait if there are obvious defect issues with the gold ones and that weird top cap pin showing through on the silvers..

What exactly is the golden coating? Is it hard wearing? And as I ride the guard/steep angle shave on the wtg pass and then reverse to riding the cap/shallow on the atg pass is there an unpleasant surprise awaiting me..? Lol

I'll add another data point regarding the FOCS and quality. I call mine a "three-legged FOCS" because at one of the four corners, the cap and guard simply don't meet up as well as the other four, and the blade rises up off the guard ever so slightly. A folded piece of paper can be inserted between the guard and the blade at that corner, but not the others. Not much of a difference to the naked eye, but in the world of razor geometry, it's a county mile.

I did another side by side test of this defect today by shaving one side of my face with the "good" side and the other with the other side of the razor. While the end results weren't that different, the shave was far less comfortable using the side with the defective corner. Using the good side, the razor is wonderful, smooth and efficient.

I noticed this issue upon receipt of the razor and contacted the vendor, who said he'd be happy to take it back for refund or exchange, but that my razor wasn't out of the ordinary for what he currently sees. I decided not to go through the process of an exchange and take my chances. I have the faulty corner marked with black ink so I know which side is which. It's not the end of the world. I'd love to buy another Fatip razor someday, and if I do, I'll inspect it carefully and exchange it for another if anything doesn't look perfect. YMMV! I'm glad I have this razor even with it's faults.

I'll add another data point regarding the FOCS and quality. I call mine a "three-legged FOCS" because at one of the four corners, the cap and guard simply don't meet up as well as the other four, and the blade rises up off the guard ever so slightly. A folded piece of paper can be inserted between the guard and the blade at that corner, but not the others. Not much of a difference to the naked eye, but in the world of razor geometry, it's a county mile.

I did another side by side test of this defect today by shaving one side of my face with the "good" side and the other with the other side of the razor. While the end results weren't that different, the shave was far less comfortable using the side with the defective corner. Using the good side, the razor is wonderful, smooth and efficient.

I noticed this issue upon receipt of the razor and contacted the vendor, who said he'd be happy to take it back for refund or exchange, but that my razor wasn't out of the ordinary for what he currently sees. I decided not to go through the process of an exchange and take my chances. I have the faulty corner marked with black ink so I know which side is which. It's not the end of the world. I'd love to buy another Fatip razor someday, and if I do, I'll inspect it carefully and exchange it for another if anything doesn't look perfect. YMMV! I'm glad I have this razor even with it's faults.
My FOCS does the same thing; one side of the corner has about 0.3mm gap (Estimating) while the other corner meets the plate. What this leads to is the "good" side and the "not-good" side and more blade exposure on one side compared to the other. I get more blade feel on one side compared to the other but it's not a huge difference. As I go through the shave, I get adjusted to it and I still end up with a good shave.

I think some slant razors struggle with this problem because unless the alignment is 100% correct, the slant torque will lead to some difference in each side. Regardless, I've had good shaves so I'm willing to just pass it by.

Top Bottom