What's new

*Fatip Slant*

I think the vast majority of issues related to the Fatip Slant are mind over matter: If you don't mind it doesn't matter. Then there are issues like the blade getting stuck on the cap, or more blade exposure on one side no matter how hard you try to tweek it. Those are issues. Curiously, my FOCS had more blade exposure on one side, but if I turned the cap around it's perfect. I could tweek the side that's off and it aligned, but it was easier just to turn the cap around. That issue has curiously cleared up over use. Now it doesn't matter, it aligns either which way. Almost like it got broken in the more I used it. Then there is the pin ring on the top of some caps, or a little lift on one of the corners of the blade and baseplate. Those don't affect my shave, so that's mind over matter part with Fatips. I'm batting a hundred having well over 30 Fatips. Some have there own individual little quirks, but they all will align and shave wonderfully. It certainly sucks to buy one that is seriously flawed.

the beauty of Italian manufacturing: might not be perfectly done but boy isn't it great! :biggrin1:

my 2cents on the matter, I have 3 fatips and I don't have any issues of QC except for the grande cap where you slightly see the pin (not an issue really, barely noticeable, and I always thought I caused it by over-tighten it). Honestly, they are 30eur (or USD) razors. For the way these things are produced, it's to be expected that you get some lemons out the line.
Also, having some first hand experience from a similar kind of Italian quasi-artisanal production (shoes in my case, but still...), factories like Fatip work in a less structured and organised way that you would expect. It wouldn't surprise me if it's Mr. Fazzini in person inspecting razors by himself down the line when he can...

:w00t: That's funny, but yes! Tot Ziens

as I imagined, here he is...

proxy.php

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Piccolo
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Omega Evo Ovale
Soap: WK King of Oud
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Ambre

My new Fatip Lo Storto Piccolo is absolutely perfect. It is now, officially, my favorite Fatip. I have two shaving accoutrements that I've now deemed the best in the universe: My Omega Evo Ovale and my FOCS Piccolo. A friend said that if I swap my Piccolo handle for a Grande the razor would be my favorite. I swapped handles and it was not better than my FOCS Grande. :tongue_sm I love the Piccolo handle more. It's sporty. At least I gave his suggestion a try. I hope to have pictures next week.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
as I imagined, here he is...

proxy.php
That's an awesome picture. The machinist in the back ground has quite the beer belly. It's like yee-ha I'm a machinist! :w00t: Thank you, this picture is a treasure!

Look guys, here are the guys making your Fatips quality control and all! :w00t:

Last edited:
I get bladefeel with some blades and none with others so I would suggest to test it with your favorites. In my limited view I would say that it works well wit 3 out of 4 blades. So in this regard it’s not finicky but some choices are better than others.

what works for me:
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Personna Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum (dark blue, white, silver)
Polsilver

not so:
Gillette Wilkinson Saloon India
Gillette Nacet

I have been using Personna Lab Blue, my go-to blade. The only other blades I have on hand are some store-brand blades made by Personna in Israel. I can try those, but I am not terribly inclined to put time, effort, and money into a search for a blade that might work for me with this razor when I have other setups that I know work. How many uncomfortable shaves will that require with blades that don't work?

...My new Fatip Lo Storto Piccolo is absolutely perfect. It is now, officially, my favorite Fatip. I have two shaving accoutrements that I've now deemed the best in the universe: My Omega Evo Ovale and my FOCS Piccolo...I love the Piccolo handle more. It's sporty. At least I gave his suggestion a try. I hope to have pictures next week.
I went to a lot of extra trouble to order from G&C in Spain to get the Piccolo version. I like the looks, solid handle and compact size. It's supposed to be here Friday. I'm really counting on it to be one of the good ones!

I have been using Personna Lab Blue, my go-to blade. The only other blades I have on hand are some store-brand blades made by Personna in Israel. I can try those, but I am not terribly inclined to put time, effort, and money into a search for a blade that might work for me with this razor when I have other setups that I know work. How many uncomfortable shaves will that require with blades that don't work?
Totally up to you. I have 3-4 blades that work in nearly every razor that I own including the FOCS.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I went to a lot of extra trouble to order from G&C in Spain to get the Piccolo version. I like the looks, solid handle and compact size. It's supposed to be here Friday. I'm really counting on it to be one of the good ones!
I ordered mine from G&C. It arrived last week Thursday. Here's hoping it's every bit as good as the one I received. The twist Piccolo handle is absolutely beautiful.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I use Bolzano, Perma-Sharp, Silver Star and Wizamet Super Iridium in my FOCS and get great shaves.

YMMV

1st shave with my new FOCS with a Rapira Platinum Lux (3) blade.

It was a nice smooth shave. It seems not as aggressive as my German 37 but smoother. It is as smooth as my Maggard slant, but a bit more aggressive. So it seems to be in a good spot on my aggressiveness and smoothness scale, compared to my other go to slants.

Overall I was impressed with it. The blade alignment seems good and the blade is tight on the pins. I think i will try it with a Nacet blade soon. As I find my Maggard slant goes well with a Nacet.
20210129_064346.jpg

So which handle is better? The original one or the piccolo?
That depends on the person. The Piccolo handle is shorter, thinner, but made of solid brass. The Grande handle is longer, thicker, but is hollow. The Piccolo handle actually weighs a few grams more.

Fans of the Piccolo will say it is more compact and maneuverable, with better balance. Fans of the Grande will say the Piccolo handle is too small for them to handle comfortably.

I swapped the handles and it shaves well with both.
Generally speaking I prefer short handles (Piccolo, Tuckaway size). Yet aesthetically I prefer the FOCS with the Grande handle as it looks mighty top heavy with the Piccolo one.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
That depends on the person. The Piccolo handle is shorter, thinner, but made of solid brass. The Grande handle is longer, thicker, but is hollow. The Piccolo handle actually weighs a few grams more.

Fans of the Piccolo will say it is more compact and maneuverable, with better balance. Fans of the Grande will say the Piccolo handle is too small for them to handle comfortably.
Having said that, the Piccolo handle is better. :001_smile

Interesting. Sounds like the piccolo handle is better balanced.

Of the various Fatip handles, my favorite is one of the wooden handles. The Piccolo is just too short and narrow for me to handle securely. The Grande is a bit better, but it's still shorter than I prefer, and also lighter than I like. I added a steel rod to the hollow handle to provide added weight, but still it's the wooden handle that suits me best. I use it on a nickel Piccolo head, but I don't like the way it looks on my gold FOCS due to the chrome accents on the wooden handle. Now, if they would only make a wooden handle with gold accents, or if I could figure out how to gold plate the chrome/wood handle ...

Top Bottom