What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters
I like the Micromatic Trio of razors, 1924 shovel head (still Getting my technique dialed in with it), but love my 1912s (prefer the travel/“squat head” versions), as well as the lather catchers to be mild, smooth shavers (took the 1901 “NEW GEM” out for its maiden voyage this morning. I found it very efficient and smooth, even with an older blade and three day growth—the audible feedback is tremendously satisfying once you realize you’re just slicing and dicing facial hair and not getting cut or irritated in the process. I can live without the Featherweight (too light, I guess hence the name and funky handle)—with GEMs, the older the better.

Good morning gents - I figured I would piggyback off an existing thread to post my query. I recently acquired a vintage Gem that I'm quite pleased with in terms of its condition that I believe is a 1912. I want to clean it up and get it shave ready but I was concerned if the gold is a plating or not. I know certain cleaning techniques could adversely impact plating so I've only done a basic hot water and dish soap treatment so far. Any tips or guidance?

Attachments

• 20210107_111225.jpg
    20210107_111225.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210107_111236.jpg
    20210107_111236.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210107_111244.jpg
    20210107_111244.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210107_111304.jpg
    20210107_111304.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 27

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good morning gents - I figured I would piggyback off an existing thread to post my query. I recently acquired a vintage Gem that I'm quite pleased with in terms of its condition that I believe is a 1912. I want to clean it up and get it shave ready but I was concerned if the gold is a plating or not. I know certain cleaning techniques could adversely impact plating so I've only done a basic hot water and dish soap treatment so far. Any tips or guidance?
Nice Razor the 1912 models, the best way for gold wash type on razor is warm water with dawn dish washer soap with a tooth brush or a ultra sonic cleaner. You can use other methods but you might lose the gold wash if there is some.

Hi,
I am sure this has been discussed somewhere, so sorry if it is a repeat. But this thread alone has 32 pages, making it hard to find.

Anyway, here is my question: I have a Gem Contour II. It’s awfully fun to use, but it does leave a bit of fur behind. Not bad, as it just means stubble appears a little sooner (than say with my Merkur DE), and that is perhaps in style. But if I wanted a closer shave (without risking irritation) is there a next logical Gem razor?

For what it’s worth, I like the carbon steel blades. I tried the PTFE ones and they caused so much irritation I resorted to a prescription lotion! (Maybe I’m allergic to Teflon?)

thanks!!!

Hi,
I am sure this has been discussed somewhere, so sorry if it is a repeat. But this thread alone has 32 pages, making it hard to find.

Anyway, here is my question: I have a Gem Contour II. It’s awfully fun to use, but it does leave a bit of fur behind. Not bad, as it just means stubble appears a little sooner (than say with my Merkur DE), and that is perhaps in style. But if I wanted a closer shave (without risking irritation) is there a next logical Gem razor?

For what it’s worth, I like the carbon steel blades. I tried the PTFE ones and they caused so much irritation I resorted to a prescription lotion! (Maybe I’m allergic to Teflon?)

thanks!!!

I really like the 1912s and the 1st Gen featherweight. And if you want something a bit older and fancier the Gem Junior Bar is amazing but it is generally pricier.

Hey, fellas. I've decided to try out the single edge realm. Vintage for the purposes of $$$. Can I get some recommendations on a razor or two that, between them, would provide me a decent general idea of SE shaving? Maybe a Clog Pruf and 1912?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Hey, fellas. I've decided to try out the single edge realm. Vintage for the purposes of $$$. Can I get some recommendations on a razor or two that, between them, would provide me a decent general idea of SE shaving? Maybe a Clog Pruf and 1912?
Can't go wrong with those two - I'd try a 1912 first, as they are just a wee bit milder and they were made for something like 40 years so there's many available. Make sure you get shaving blades, not paint scrapers. When I grew up & started shaving the GEMs were an unknown - I didn't try one until I got the bug here at B&B. First shave wasn't good, the blade angle is different, but now I've a bunch and use them regularly

Can't go wrong with those two - I'd try a 1912 first, as they are just a wee bit milder and they were made for something like 40 years so there's many available. Make sure you get shaving blades, not paint scrapers. When I grew up & started shaving the GEMs were an unknown - I didn't try one until I got the bug here at B&B. First shave wasn't good, the blade angle is different, but now I've a bunch and use them regularly
Thank you very much. As I understand it there are many variations of 1912s...gem, ever ready, damaskeene, Junior...is there a particular one you recommend? If they are different I'd prefer one on the aggressive side I don't quite understand the jargon of the names and not one is different to another

Last edited:

Ron R

Gem SE are very nice razors, when buying one make sure the blade keepers are good shape and use a new blade preferably like the Gem Personna SS PTFE blade(I usually get 8-14 shaves with one). I would suggest a Gem feather weight or G bar Plus a 1912 or a Gem clog Pruf as a second one, 2 razors to enjoy for a bargain(antique stores more than likely have them,
saving shipping). The Feather weight or G bar are a nice easier going razor to learn with plus it is a little gentler with a new blade then use the mid range Gem razors for last 5 or 6 shaves.
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Thank you very much. As I understand it there are many variations of 1912s...gem, ever ready, damaskeene, Junior...is there a particular one you recommend? If they are different I'd prefer one on the aggressive side I don't quite understand the jargon of the names and not one is different to another

I've used a number of them, but am probably too insensitive to pick one as more aggressive. They all share the same head, its the handles that change up over the years. If you like a heavier, more aggressive razor, as Ron R's chart shows the Micromatic Open Comb is the champ. Of all the GEM SEs I have, the one model that is always out on the counter (next to the Schick Type M) is the MMOC

Ron R

I've used a number of them, but am probably too insensitive to pick one as more aggressive. They all share the same head, its the handles that change up over the years. If you like a heavier, more aggressive razor, as Ron R's chart shows the Micromatic Open Comb is the champ. Of all the GEM SEs I have, the one model that is always out on the counter (next to the Schick Type M) is the MMOC
The chart is kind of a reasonable quick reference to give folks a idea when I started out with Gem razors, Actually the Gem G bar was my first razor to use and it should of been placed a little higher on the efficentcy now that I have mastered them all. What we did learn as time went on that the 2nd generation Feather weight 1953-54 and the G Bar and the Flip top Contour had very similar heads or almost identical, in earlier models Gem would change top caps a little to give the razor a different aggression level but leave the base plates the same gap from my measuring.
Two common ways to change aggression for razors are base blade gap or top cap parameters. Gem choose top caps IMO for many models.
Basically changed the handles and left the head the same for marketing strategy but very similar shaves IMO. The 1st generation Feather weight shown on the chart has a slimmer top cap and set back further also to make it more aggressive and efficient IMO from a few of us testing them on just a 2 pass shave with no pickups and a feel test.
3 different models- almost identical heads.....................(L) 2nd Gen Feather weight1953-54 (R) 1st Gen Featherweight 1950-52
GEM Cap Styles 3 (2).JPG
GEM Cap Styles 2 (2).JPG

Pictures courtsey of @Droo78
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
I can recommend a GEM or Ever Ready 1912. I recently bought an Ever Ready 1912. Once I got the angle right (with help from colleagues at B & B), I got efficient, nick free shaves from my 1912. The Gem & Ever Ready razors are more akin to a straight razor in their feel and sound, but without the scary part.

Here I was hoping to learn what I have, only to find a list of models I can't identify by name :(.
I was given two by a friend, and must say I was wildly impressed by the shave.

I saw one in an antique store just yesterday with an ever ready brush for $35 and passed thinking it was over priced. The brush was a shredder and the razor looked great but for the blade and whiskers still in it. It was a TTO I'd say identical to @rabidus' post above, 3rd from the right.

I told myself a long time ago, Gillette only, curb the rad... my buddy giving me 2 GEMS, the antique store and this board aren't helping.

Can someone please i.d. what I've got here?... and is the Hickok case correct?...I was thinking it's a company gift or something?

Finally, I've only taken the gold one for a couple spins so far and love it. I'd expect the same shave from the silver or no?

16125789358148419376789262226153.jpg
16125790969836850490313606953934.jpg

20210130_160943.jpg

Top Bottom