What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Do we happen to know if there are any gap differences?

camo
If you go the Gem index of razors and go to that post you can compare your model to my 1st generation Featherweight blade gap. Post #250 should have that information you need to compare if you have some feeler gauges.
The gap should be the same I'm thinking & they just changed caps to make a mild razor even more milder with out folks knowing.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Well I found out today some interesting facts about the Gem Featherweight top cap. @Droo78 came across some Gem Featherweights that seem to shave differently and so he took some pictures to illustrate differences(Thanks Andrew for letting me use your photo's). I remember reading some folks recently thinking the Featherweight is over rated and it stumped me why, now we might have the reasoning to their thoughts. When the Gem Featherweight Generation #1 was ending its life cycle it seems that the G-bar and later on the in the late 1970's the Contour flip top models came out they used a deeper type of top cap Generation #2 to give a milder shave. More than likely the transition phase when the new model G-bar was coming on line they switched the caps from the original featherweight to reduce their inventory and saving some money.
Most folks would of not known unless they had both models 1st & 2nd Generations of Gem featherweight razors and in those days they did not have the internet to compare these small changes. I went on line at _Bay and sure enough there are 2nd Generation Featherweights for sale.( you might want 1st generation Featherweights that are a little more aggressive IMO)
From my shaving observations I have concluded that the G-bar & Contour were milder than the 1st Generation of Feather weights and other 's who had the Contour razor mentioned they are very mild for them to use.

Generation #2 Gem Featherweight on the left has grooves on the flip tab-Generation #1 on the right has the smooth flip tab.
View attachment 1091843

Generation #2 Gem Featherweight on the left with the deeper top cap--Generation #1 Gem Featherweight on the right with the narrow top cap.
View attachment 1091845
As we can see the the milder Generation #2 top caps were used on different models over the decades. So for me I enjoy Generation #1 and recommend it.
Picture below Gem Featherweight generation #2........Gem G-bar.............Gem Contour flip top. They also made a Contour push button model!
View attachment 1091846
So there we have some more facts on the Gem Featherweight we all enjoy. Generation #1 Featherweight on chart below.
View attachment 1091847
Have some great shaves!

Could you please also post this or link to it in the Micromatic Monday thread?

Ron R

Could you please also post this or link to it in the Micromatic Monday thread?
I would love to give @Droo78 thread but B&B has rules that prohibit this. His thread is on the forum _SD you started Micromatic Monday #2 that I visit. I can send my thoughts over to Micromatic Monday that is present here.

That's what I meant. This Micromatic Monday.
Maybe we can figure something out for the 2nd one over there. Definitely useful information. I'll have to look at my two Featherweights. But I think they are both First Gen.

Well I found out today some interesting facts about the Gem Featherweight top cap. @Droo78 came across some Gem Featherweights that seem to shave differently and so he took some pictures to illustrate differences(Thanks Andrew for letting me use your photo's). I remember reading some folks recently thinking the Featherweight is over rated and it stumped me why, now we might have the reasoning to their thoughts. When the Gem Featherweight Generation #1 was ending its life cycle it seems that the G-bar and later on the in the late 1970's the Contour flip top models came out they used a deeper type of top cap Generation #2 to give a milder shave. More than likely the transition phase when the new model G-bar was coming on line they switched the caps from the original featherweight to reduce their inventory and saving some money.
Most folks would of not known unless they had both models 1st & 2nd Generations of Gem featherweight razors and in those days they did not have the internet to compare these small changes. I went on line at _Bay and sure enough there are 2nd Generation Featherweights for sale.( you might want 1st generation Featherweights that are a little more aggressive IMO)
From my shaving observations I have concluded that the G-bar & Contour were milder than the 1st Generation of Feather weights and other 's who had the Contour razor mentioned they are very mild for them to use.

Generation #2 Gem Featherweight on the left has grooves on the flip tab-Generation #1 on the right has the smooth flip tab.
View attachment 1091843

Generation #2 Gem Featherweight on the left with the deeper top cap--Generation #1 Gem Featherweight on the right with the narrow top cap.
View attachment 1091845
As we can see the the milder Generation #2 top caps were used on different models over the decades. So for me I enjoy Generation #1 and recommend it.
Picture below Gem Featherweight generation #2........Gem G-bar.............Gem Contour flip top. They also made a Contour push button model!
View attachment 1091846
So there we have some more facts on the Gem Featherweight we all enjoy. Generation #1 Featherweight on chart below.
View attachment 1091847
Have some great shaves!

You astound me Ron.

So I was on the lookout for a Featherweight and visited a certain auction sight, and noticed the two different versions. I though which one should I get and said to myself "I know who will point me in the right direction"

So imagine my surprise when I read this post of yours today.....and as usual you helped me make my choice. I just purchased this after.....rading your post......1st Generation correct?

s-l1600.jpg

Ron R

You astound me Ron.

So I was on the lookout for a Featherweight and visited a certain auction sight, and noticed the two different versions. I though which one should I get and said to myself "I know who will point me in the right direction"

So imagine my surprise when I read this post of yours today.....and as usual you helped me make my choice. I just purchased this after.....rading your post......1st Generation correct?

View attachment 1091934
WoW, looks like NOS. You sure have a eye for excellent looking vintage razors like some of your Everready streamline models from what I recall.

Ron R

I went over to UK _bay to see their version of the Everready Featherweight(They called it "natural angle" model) and was produced for a short time in 1953 until the E-bar came out.
They have only one for sale if anyone is interested.

Everready featherweight or natural angle model (2).jpg
ER feather weight. (2).jpg

The revamped "slim V- flat top" was The Gem version in the USA is the one with the lines on the thumb clamp. It came out in 1953 also. The one I call Generation 2 Featherweight is The revamped "Slim V-flat top"model which became the G-bar later on.(basically changed the handle.)
Version #2 of a Featherweight wit the deeper cap.jpg

Picture above shows the Gem Featherweight the 2nd generation "revamped V-flat top" is what they called it. Mfg in 1953-55.

Ron R

MMMonday, April 27th 2020- Well I thought I would do some experimenting today with the Gem Featherweight Gen#1 head VS Gen #2 head and I have both heads other than the handles and that is basically the difference.(It's not a perfect shaving world in my Den) All I did was WTG 1st pass followed by ATG 2nd pass on the left side with Generation #1 the original Featherweight in all it's glory(toughest beard side under the jaw line for me also)with no touch ups to see how best to accurately gauge the shave. And on the right side I went with Generation #2 head(Gem G-Bar) with same procedure. WTG 1st pass and 2nd pass ATG to see if there is a difference. If you go to a 3 pass shave it is hard to mark a lot of differences because all I'm using is feel of my hand. And the winner for the closest 2 pass shave goes to Generation #1 head for the best performance with a new Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) that was placed in the Gen #2 head after first side completed. Cheeks were very similar in closeness on both sides but under the jaw lines Gen #1 (Featherweight Gen#1 was noticeably better for closeness).
Looks like a different MMMonday today with a 2 razor shave which is a rarity for myself but also had a little fun also. :lol: :out::001_wub:
Razor: Gem Featherweight Gen #1 -MFG 1950-53
Razor : Gem G-Bar with Gen #2 head that was also on the Featherweight later models from 1953-55/G-bar MFG 1955-58.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) great all around blade.
Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea" great scent with good lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- great bush that I have used a lot over the last 3 1/2 yrs.
Preshave: Showered- washed the face with regular hand bar soap.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2.
Post shave: Razorock "The Dead Sea" aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea Men balm.
Result :Gem Featherweight Gen#1 head)CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 tiny weeper= :thumbsup: good shave for a 2 pass shave.
Results:Gem G-Bar with Gen #2 head) CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 2 tiny weepers = :wink2: reasonable shave for only a 2 pass- I need a 3 pass with a G-bar for it shine IMO.

MMMonday Featherweight GEN1 VS GEN2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Today's GeMonday shave was a comparison between the first and second generation Gem Featherweight.
A well used Meijer branded SS Accu TEC blade was shared between the two razors.
Lather was provided by a wonderful thick creamy Tabac on a RazoRock boar brush.
The shave was finished of with a splash of Whitch hazel.
The second Gen was up first and handled the left side neck and the left cheek above my beard line. A two pass shave first WTG then ATG for testing purposes was used.
The blade was then switched to the first Gen Featherweight and the same procedure was used on the right side.
There were not drastic differences between the two but the remaining stubble on the left (second Gen) side was longer and slightly more noticeable. Neither side was socially acceptable with two passes and a well worn blade on my neck. However my cheeks (were the shaving is always easier) are perfectly acceptable.
I did a third pass to clean up the visible stubble for a socially acceptable end result.
I will do this comparison again on my next shave with a new blade to see how big an improvement that makes. Personally if I could only keep one of the razors I'd keep the 1st Gen. but I definitely like using both.

Ron R

Today's GeMonday shave was a comparison between the first and second generation Gem Featherweight.
A well used Meijer branded SS Accu TEC blade was shared between the two razors.
Lather was provided by a wonderful thick creamy Tabac on a RazoRock boar brush.
The shave was finished of with a splash of Whitch hazel.
The second Gen was up first and handled the left side neck and the left cheek above my beard line. A two pass shave first WTG then ATG for testing purposes was used.
The blade was then switched to the first Gen Featherweight and the same procedure was used on the right side.
There were not drastic differences between the two but the remaining stubble on the left (second Gen) side was longer and slightly more noticeable. Neither side was socially acceptable with two passes and a well worn blade on my neck. However my cheeks (were the shaving is always easier) are perfectly acceptable.
I did a third pass to clean up the visible stubble for a socially acceptable end result.
I will do this comparison again on my next shave with a new blade to see how big an improvement that makes. Personally if I could only keep one of the razors I'd keep the 1st Gen. but I definitely like using both.

Good review and close to the same results I had also. Gem Featherweight 1st Generation seems to be a great razor and some folks might get the different models mixed up. Thanks for doing the Shave off between the Gen 1 & Gen 2 Gem Featherweight models that you have in your Gem collection.
@Droo78 seemed to have similar results to both us, so it seems Gem Featherweight Gen 1 is a little more aggressive with better efficiency than Gen 2 Gem Featherweight.
We all seem to agree that we like both heads on these razors, I might have to add a extra pass to Gen#2 but no big deal.
Have some great shaves!

Good review and close to the same results I had also. Gem Featherweight 1st Generation seems to be a great razor and some folks might get the different models mixed up. Thanks for doing the Shave off between the Gen 1 & Gen 2 Gem Featherweight models that you have in your Gem collection.
@Droo78 seemed to have similar results to both us, so it seems Gem Featherweight Gen 1 is a little more aggressive with better efficiency than Gen 2 Gem Featherweight.
We all seem to agree that we like both heads on these razors, I might have to add a extra pass to Gen#2 but no big deal.
Have some great shaves!

It will be interesting to do my next comparison with a fresh blade and the same method of testing. I generally pay very little attention to how many passes a shave is and just shave until I'm done going over problem areas 4 to 5 times and maybe only going over others only 1 or 2 times.

Ron R

It will be interesting to do my next comparison with a fresh blade and the same method of testing. I generally pay very little attention to how many passes a shave is and just shave until I'm done going over problem areas 4 to 5 times and maybe only going over others only 1 or 2 times.
I found that doing a 2 pass shave will tell you about the razor aggression and its efficiency. Efficiency is really the most important to me and to a lot other folks. Imagine that you had a mild razor but the efficiency giving a BBS on a 2 pass shave, I have not found one but a few come close. They would never have to make a aggressive razor and we would all buy the few razors that did so we can conclude the Grail razor & blade is only out there for your beard type I have concluded.
Have some great shaves!

I'm glad you brought the 2 pass test to my attention @Ron R it is definitely a more accurate measure of a razor than my normal shaving routine. I never liked stopping at 2 passes if the shave wasn't up to spec. However I can do to passes, evaluate then finish up the shave after the evaluation. Don't know why that never dawned on me before.

I kept hearing about the squat heads. Today I finally realized I owned one. Squatty left, standard 1912 right. I guess the shorter handle is a related feature.
View attachment 1099692

Beautiful. Looks like it's in excellent condition.
Does yours shave the same as the other 1912s you have. Also does it have a different size thread on the handle.
Mine shave about the same. I have a flat top and curved top. Both have a smaller thread size.

Ron R

I assume it's a bit off-topic but did you ever place Ever-Ready (sic!) razors on this scale?
I do have have some Everready razors and they are a little different in rake angle and sometimes more aggression. Each brand of ASR Corp had little differences that made the brands popular to the shaving world IMO.
I did do a comparison test on the Everready 1914 Vs 1924 shovel head razor, I was still collecting for my razor collection at that time. These two Everready razors were very popular in their time Circa
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom