What's new

Razorock Hawk V3 in stainless steel

Finally got to try out the Hawk V3-A after using a couple others razors for a few days, especially the Stirling prototypes. Anyways, loaded up a Schick Proline and went to work on 2 days worth of facial hair growth. I also changed out the handle that it came with, the Super Knurl and installed the 2 piece Halo handle. I love the Super Knurl but, I felt that the 2pc. Halo actually offered a bit more balance while still keeping a good feel and grip in the hands. My first impression is that it’s not an aggressive razor nor blade forward feeling. Not an intimidating shave by any stretch of the imagination. I will say that it is a smooth and yet efficient feeling shaver that produced a great shave. I still felt it towards the milder side but, it can cut and it cuts comfortably and decisively well. The Proline is about as smooth a blade that can be used in the AC realm. A good blade for trying out an unknown razor and just for one to get their footing and establish a base point on how a particular shaver feels. Then one can go from there with a different blade and search for the right combo that works. I’ll get a couple more shaves in with the Proline before making a switch and see if I can play with angles a bit to find some extra hidden efficiency or blade feel that can help in finding the optimum cutting angle.

No Wow factor or shocking revalation nor does it have to Illicit any of those emotions from one to determine if it’s a dealer or a klunker. I won’t say anything until I run through some shaves and some blades through it. Looks good, feels good and shaves good. We’ve set a base and I’ll go from there.

Happy shaves...

1F1C86F5-7083-47A3-ABC6-6C53DB14E13A.jpeg

This morning I used the Hawk V3 OC on one side of my face and the Enoch on the other. It was a quick two pass shave, no touch-ups, because I was running late. The Enoch is smoother; the open comb on the Hawk is not at all uncomfortable, but it does provide quite a bit more blade feel than the Enoch. That additional blade feel makes me more cautious as I shave, and that translates to me as not as smooth. Maybe over time as I get more accustomed to the Hawk, that will change. I also like the balance of the Enoch better, but if I weren't using them side by side I doubt I would have noticed it. The surprise to me was in the results. I guess that additional blade feel on the Hawk had me believing that it was shaving closer than the Enoch, but that was not the case. While it's not a large difference, the right side of my face, which I shaved with the Enoch, is definitely smoother. From past experience of doing side by side comparisons, I am confident that this is due to the razor and not beard differences from side to side or technique variations (being a right handed person, do I shave my right side differently than my left?). Just to be sure, tomorrow I will repeat the process using the Hawk on the right and the Enoch on the left, but I will be very surprised if I get different results. The one thing that might change the results is if my technique with the Enoch improves as I have more experience using it.
Since I can't edit the post above, this is just a note to say that the last sentence should reference my technique with the Hawk not the Enoch.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The individual baseplates haven’t been for sale yet, but their price jumped all the same. here’s hoping the introductory price is offered to folks who emailed.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Individual OC and A baseplates in stock, but introductory price is gone. Only a $5 difference and less than baseplates for comparable AC-format SEs.

Had my first shave with the “A” plate installed on my V-3. Definetely less aggressive than the “OC“ plate. Using a Feather Proguard blade was not cutting hair like it did when paired with the “OC“ plate. I may need to try a Schick Proline P-30 with the “A” plate, though it was too aggressive for me with the “OC” plate. Of course I will need to try a Kai Protouch blade which I have had the most success with so far.

The “A” plate was definitely more comfortable on my head however.

Finally got to try out the Hawk V3-A after using a couple others razors for a few days, especially the Stirling prototypes. Anyways, loaded up a Schick Proline and went to work on 2 days worth of facial hair growth. I also changed out the handle that it came with, the Super Knurl and installed the 2 piece Halo handle. I love the Super Knurl but, I felt that the 2pc. Halo actually offered a bit more balance while still keeping a good feel and grip in the hands. My first impression is that it’s not an aggressive razor nor blade forward feeling. Not an intimidating shave by any stretch of the imagination. I will say that it is a smooth and yet efficient feeling shaver that produced a great shave. I still felt it towards the milder side but, it can cut and it cuts comfortably and decisively well. The Proline is about as smooth a blade that can be used in the AC realm. A good blade for trying out an unknown razor and just for one to get their footing and establish a base point on how a particular shaver feels. Then one can go from there with a different blade and search for the right combo that works. I’ll get a couple more shaves in with the Proline before making a switch and see if I can play with angles a bit to find some extra hidden efficiency or blade feel that can help in finding the optimum cutting angle.

No Wow factor or shocking revalation nor does it have to Illicit any of those emotions from one to determine if it’s a dealer or a klunker. I won’t say anything until I run through some shaves and some blades through it. Looks good, feels good and shaves good. We’ve set a base and I’ll go from there.

Happy shaves...

View attachment 1112535
Any updates on your blade combo research. I have V30 on the way with a pack P30s. Should I get the feather pros? Supers?

Happy shaves...

View attachment 1112535
Looking at the pic above, I can't help the feeling that the razor head is so bulky and might feel awkward maneuvering it around some areas. I guess I'd rather keep the Vector.

Of course, this is speculative, as I've never used the Hawk. Just the feeling...

Any updates on your blade combo research. I have V30 on the way with a pack P30s. Should I get the feather pros? Supers?

I've used the whole range of blades (minus guarded) available from Kai, Feather & Schick. They all work and give decent to excellent shaves. I've had the best results with Pro Supers from Feather. A bit more blade feel with very close and long lasting shaves. This with just the "A" plate and no other Hawk base variation. As always, ymmv takes precedence in all shave cases....

I'd suggest you try this combo first. Schick ProLines are very good with a Hawk.

I have, that is what I got in my order. Super smooth blade and razor combo. However, after 3 passes it is not as close as I like it to be. Its DFS for sure and a great daily driver, but I want a little more when needed, I have heavy coarse whiskers. I will just have to order some pros and supers and see how they perform in V3.

I tried standard v.3 with Pro Supers and this combo is definitely more efficient than std+pros (albeit a bit more aggressive).

Razorock Hawk SS V3. This is a real good shaver. It’s not heavy on blade feel nor does it need to be to perform at a high level. It’s comfy, smooth and nicely efficient. I think sometimes we get lost in the thought that if we don’t hear whisker cutting music, that a particular razor just isn’t a good performer. For some that might be the case as hair growth and thickness can determine for one through trial usage what’s their best performing razor for their needs. Other times it’s user error in employing improper technique and not giving a razor a few shaves to evaluate its pros & cons. The RR Hawk SS V3 I think gets a bit of a sour rap because users say there is no blade feel and performance is lacking. I think it delivers a very nice shave especially when one compares it to its predecessors and a few other competitors which need not be mentioned. I like it better over the Hawk DLC as it feels smoother yet cuts more efficiently. I think it’s a great deal for anyone who wants to get in to the AC razor style format. Great quality, excellent alloy (316/316L SS) from a solid vendor who offers a tool at such an affordable price tag. Grab a plate or two and a couple of AC blade variations and it’s more than capable in giving great daily shaves....

4CADC159-9C94-40DF-A526-16C35FF10CEA.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razorock Hawk SS V3. This is a real good shaver. It’s not heavy on blade feel nor does it need to be to perform at a high level. It’s comfy, smooth and nicely efficient. I think sometimes we get lost in the thought that if we don’t hear whisker cutting music, that a particular razor just isn’t a good performer. For some that might be the case as hair growth and thickness can determine for one through trial usage what’s their best performing razor for their needs. Other times it’s user error in employing improper technique and not giving a razor a few shaves to evaluate its pros & cons. The RR Hawk SS V3 I think gets a bit of a sour rap because users say there is no blade feel and performance is lacking. I think it delivers a very nice shave especially when one compares it to its predecessors and a few other competitors which need not be mentioned. I like it better over the Hawk DLC as it feels smoother yet cuts more efficiently. I think it’s a great deal for anyone who wants to get in to the AC razor style format. Great quality, excellent alloy (316/316L SS) from a solid vendor who offers a tool at such an affordable price tag. Grab a plate or two and a couple of AC blade variations and it’s more than capable in giving great daily shaves....

View attachment 1195672

Concur with your findings.

Have the OC and A plates and have also found that the V3 is compatible with a wide variety of AC blades.

The V3 does a lot of things right, it's just surpassed by the Blackland Vector and Colonial The General.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :cool:

Concur with your findings.

Have the OC and A plates and have also found that the V3 is compatible with a wide variety of AC blades.

The V3 does a lot of things right, it's just surpassed by the Blackland Vector and Colonial The General.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :cool:

I'd agree with your statement concerning the Vector & General being better performing razors across the board.

I'd like to acquire the OC plate for the Hawk V3 just to see if it helps in the efficiency department and gets it closer to the aforementioned 2 razors.

Happy shaves..... :shaving:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'd agree with your statement concerning the Vector & General being better performing razors across the board.

I'd like to acquire the OC plate for the Hawk V3 just to see if it helps in the efficiency department and gets it closer to the aforementioned 2 razors.

Happy shaves..... :shaving:
In my opinion, the OC plate does get the V3 closer. A great razor, especially for the money. :thumbup:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've pretty much decided that for me the AC format just isn't what I want. I get pretty good shaves, though. I've tried a few razors but I'm not really engaged with trying endless variations to find what works best. I can say that the Hawk V3SB is a very nice razor, and in fact is the ONLY AC format razor I've tried that I like.

I also have the V3OC, which I thought I would like better because I tend to like OC razors better than SB. My problem with the V3OC is that the teeth of the comb are too far apart. They tend to straddle bumps and skin tags instead of riding over them as my OC razors with more teeth do. That of course leads to whatever they've straddled getting excised about a millisecond later.

O.H.

Top Bottom