What's new

Razorock Hawk V3 in stainless steel

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How are you finding Hawk v3 compared to v2 and Vector (if you ever shaved with it)?

Thanks.

Have shaved with the V2, V3-A and V3-OC.

In my opinion, at least so far, the V3-OC is the one that will probably end up in my permanent SE rotation. It provides the greatest range of shaving angles, higher efficiency, best hand and face feel. I still have to try the standard Hawk V3.

Regarding the Blackland Vector: I have not had the pleasure, yet, of shaving with the Vector. Based on my experiences with the Blackbird, Dart and Sabre, I have high hopes that the Vector will be a winner.

Hope this helps.

YMMV :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Finally turning to the Hawk after clearing away another project.

When they first went up I grabbed a Hawk v3 SB and Hawk v3 OC. I've also gathered a small selection of blades, Feathers and Kai guarded and not. Since this is a hobby I'm tempted to say, "I've also curated an artisan collection of blades..." but that would be too princess for me. [grin]

First impressions don't mean much but we gotta start somewhere, so...

Two shaves so far on the Hawk SB using a guarded Kai blade. I don't think I need to hook up the whole chain of goods-wagons for the full name of the blade, which in any event I'd have to go look up as I can't remember it. I am a bit amused that I've finally managed to put together an AC-format outfit that doesn't shave me too close. What's amusing is: I've managed to put together an AC-format outfit that doesn't shave me close enough. :001_rolle

I'll shave out the current guarded blade, because I've learned that any set-up will improve performance as technique comes more en pointe. I'll use the next eight or 10 shaves to let the technique evolve, and then I'll drop in an unguarded Kai (Captain Mild Pink, IIRC) and give 'er another whirl. I have a suspicion that an unguarded blade in the Hawk SB may be a good thing. When I get around to the Hawk OC I'll do the same thing; with a sense of irony that suspects the guarded blade might be of some benefit there.

We'll see. Once I'm a little more in tune with the Hawks I'll try the blade selections in the ATT Windsor SE1. I had been having some success with a guarded Feather there. Still not familiar enough with that razor to really feel much difference between the Windsor SE1 and the regular SE1, so obviously will need some time for technique to settle on that as well.

Looking back, that's more about blades than razors. The Hawks themselves are sexy little numbers. To me the OC just screams, "Put a nice blade in me and let me play in some hot lather." Glad I started with the SB Hawk, though. Beautiful razors.

Settling in to spend a little time with SE.

O.H.

That was a very amusing read, thank you!

I've found the standard V3 to be a rather mild but efficient shaver. It does 2 or 3 passes BBS with no drama whatsoever. I've used only Feather Pros in mine so far. Therefore I imagine a guarded AC blade may be in fact too mild to actually cut something.

Old Hippie

That was a very amusing read, thank you!

I've found the standard V3 to be a rather mild but efficient shaver. It does 2 or 3 passes BBS with no drama whatsoever. I've used only Feather Pros in mine so far. Therefore I imagine a guarded AC blade may be in fact too mild to actually cut something.

Cheers, eh! The actual shave is as smooth as with some of my slants (S2, Wunderbar) but it takes a little more dedication to get there. With a guarded blade the SB shaves me like a Gem 1912: Comfortably, mildly, but with some stubble remaining that requires attention and juuusst the right angle.

I've got some Feather Pro around, too. They worked out OK in the SE1 and SE2 -- so we'll see. Well, it only "worked" for me in the SE2 if I used an extremely steep angle. Good shaves, blade dead in three. Seemed rather uneconomical.

O.H.

#SquadGoals

The V3OC is a delight whether one shaves shallow, steep, or neutral. Bridle its lust for human flesh and it’s a lean, mean anti-whisker machine. Got mine maybe 3% tamed.

All of this goofy talk about "blade angle" is the hilarious mark of amateur shavers. After 64 years of wet-shaving -- just like my Dad and both Grandpa(s) -- any experienced shaver knowns when the razor is cutting -- i.e., it will "speak" to the shaver. Try listening....

Also, if you have any sensation, at all, in your face -- you can feel it cutting.

Old Hippie

Couldn't resist. Pulled out the v3 OC and stuck that guarded Kai blade in it. Where the SB gives me a mild but not-very-close shave at any angle, with minimal irritation...

The OC gives me a not-very-close shave at any angle, with a little irritation and lots of blade feel.

So far. :crazy:

Before y'all get wound up thinkin' I'm dishing the razor, I'm not. I believe it's a blade thing, so I have more options.

My next step will be to slip an unguarded Kai into the SB and see how that works. Then to try it in the OC. Then for grins I'll pull out the Windsor SE1 and see what differences I note.

Got some Feather Pro and ProGuard kickin' around, too.

And if it gets too fiddly I can take a break and whip out a Gem/Gem-ish.

One the one hand I only shave three times a week, usually. This is gonna take a while. On the other hand, what else am I doing right now?

O.H.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Very glad you’re smart enough to not compensate for a mild or dull blade with extra pressure and suffer only left over stubble with your frustration. My shave was off last night and I wrongly figured bloodshed would help.

Old Hippie

This morning I took a nice cup of coffee into the Shave Cave and lathered up a bowl of Old Hippie Red Cedar Shave Puck (OH Puck!). I slipped a Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink onto the pins in the Hawk v3SB, and took 'er for a ride.

MUCH better. Two passes and cleanup, ZERO irritation, smooth and comfy. I was correct; it was a blade issue. I'll keep the Kai Captain Titan Major Grey Super Duper Mild Bull-Moose Gonzo MG Chevy Datsun Pro-Touch Guard blades in case I ever get a razor that can use them.

O.H.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If I read the twitters with any accuracy (as in doublecheck if it’s something that also interests you), RazoRock expects to release the individual baseplates next month.

I‘d enjoy trying/using their V3A. My face would prefer the V3 and guarded AC-style blade for it, but it doesn’t pay for the toys - only for my actions.

When they first went up I grabbed a Hawk v3 SB and Hawk v3 OC. I've also gathered a small selection of blades, Feathers and Kai guarded and not. Since this is a hobby I'm tempted to say, "I've also curated an artisan collection of blades..." but that would be too princess for me. [grin]

First impressions don't mean much but we gotta start somewhere, so...

Two shaves so far on the Hawk SB using a guarded Kai blade. I don't think I need to hook up the whole chain of goods-wagons for the full name of the blade, which in any event I'd have to go look up as I can't remember it. I am a bit amused that I've finally managed to put together an AC-format outfit that doesn't shave me too close. What's amusing is: I've managed to put together an AC-format outfit that doesn't shave me close enough. :001_rolle

I'll shave out the current guarded blade, because I've learned that any set-up will improve performance as technique comes more en pointe. I'll use the next eight or 10 shaves to let the technique evolve, and then I'll drop in an unguarded Kai (Captain Mild Pink, IIRC) and give 'er another whirl. I have a suspicion that an unguarded blade in the Hawk SB may be a good thing. When I get around to the Hawk OC I'll do the same thing; with a sense of irony that suspects the guarded blade might be of some benefit there.

We'll see. Once I'm a little more in tune with the Hawks I'll try the blade selections in the ATT Windsor SE1. I had been having some success with a guarded Feather there. Still not familiar enough with that razor to really feel much difference between the Windsor SE1 and the regular SE1, so obviously will need some time for technique to settle on that as well.

Looking back, that's more about blades than razors. The Hawks themselves are sexy little numbers. To me the OC just screams, "Put a nice blade in me and let me play in some hot lather." Glad I started with the SB Hawk, though. Beautiful razors.

Settling in to spend a little time with SE.

O.H.

I am looking forward to reading your comparisons about ATT SE1 vs. RR Hawk v3 OC.
Do you have SE2?
SE1 always gives me very close shave.
I think it is fair to compare RR Hawk v3 OC with SE2 rather than SE1.

Top Bottom