What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Pipes this fine fall evening: The last of a can of Carolina Red Flake mixed with a rubbed out coin of LBF to round out the bowl of the Larrysson 2018 LE; Kendal Plug in a twin bore Radice bent rusticated Apple; Esoterica Pembroke in the Franc Morta LE. New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA on the side.
How do you like the twin bore Kelly? I've never smoked one but I am intrigued.

I find it great for Virginia blends. I don't know if the Radice twin bores are any different from others, this one pipe is the only twin bore I have. It is a very smooth smoking pipe and it seems the Virginias smoke cooler; it may be my imagination, but it seems so. It is perfect for a couple of LBF coins folded and stuffed.

brandaves

Falcon day 2: Some PS Luxury Navy Flake today. Will update my Falcon review thread with the vital details.
20200925_095052.jpg

brandaves

Royal Yacht in a Bones Balldog...now I first smoked this blend in May and my thoughts then were 🤢🤮 I pulled it out today because I was feeling adventurous. I was surprised to find that I feel differently about it. I find the flavor very similar to Scottish Mixture which I like a lot 🤷‍♂️. I'm sure the blend didn't change much during it's short rest so I guess it was me. Or maybe it was the pipe I smoked it from back then? I don't know, but I can now personally vouch for the whole, "jar it and wait" advice. 😜
20200925_144820.jpg

here is the twin bore pipe in question.
proxy.php

It is also an Oil Cured stummel, which, as far as I know, only really matters during break in. It has a distinctive break in taste that is not unpleasant. And the stem fits better than my picture shows; that was before the initial smoke. It has a bunch of smokes by now!

brandaves

here is the twin bore pipe in question.
proxy.php

It is also an Oil Cured stummel, which, as far as I know, only really matters during break in. It has a distinctive break in taste that is not unpleasant. And the stem fits better than my picture shows; that was before the initial smoke. It has a bunch of smokes by now!
Sharp looking pipe!

brandaves

VaPer is a Virginia Perique Blend yes? What does the Perique add to the light and sweet Virginia?
You are correct. VaPer is a Virginia and Perique blend. The Virginia is generally sweet, citrusy, grassy and/or hay like. The Perique is a little spicy, sometimes tart, sometimes funky leaf. They generally play well off one another which makes them a popular combination and often cased in rum, another component that plays well with others two. Picking up Perique for the first time is often described as detecting a tickle in the nose. Smoke a straight Virginia and then a good VaPer right after and you'll find what the Perique provides. I love Perique. It's great with Burley (Haunted Bookshop), great with Latakia (Nightcap), great with Kentucky (RO Firestorm), and definitely great with Virginia...

In a va/per, the perique adds that spice and tartness. In culinary terms it rounds the dish out or adds another dimension to compliment the main ingredient. In this case, it highlights the citrusy grassy flavors by adding a little bottom.

And Haunted Bookshop was the very first time I've been able to smoke in the house (when Mrs. Rookie was home) in over 20 years. It was during the remnants of some hurricane or other, I was in the kitchen blowing the smoke into the oven's exhaust fan, but I was inside!

Oh yeah! PotD thread. Revelation Match in my Jet Stream. 1601086135044704788366256791261.jpg

Top Bottom