What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

Sermonizing on the patio this afternoon with: Anniversary Cavendish, a 50/50 blend of Anniversary Kake and Lane BCA (credit to @pault for this blend) in a MM/C&D Charles Towne Cobbler; John Cotton's 1&2 in an old St Claude GBD Number 5; and Dunhill EMP in the Askwith LE Morta.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
IMG_20200926_191548.jpg

Freshly reamed Mizzou is smoking better. Not overly sold on this tobacco though. It's nice, but it's like smoking a lightly topped Virginia in a pipe dedicated to English, and I might as well do that, as always have the Latakia element.

Also, being a lightly topped Virginia with Latakia, it kind of defies the normal rules of pipe selection. Smoke it in a Virginia pipe, and I might risk leaving a Latakia ghost, but smoke it in an English pipe, and I might too much Latakia coming through, and overwhelm the rest of the blend. It kind of needs its own pipe, and I'm not prepared to do that.

I will enjoy the rest of the sample, but won't be buying full tins.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
View attachment 1160411

Freshly reamed Mizzou is smoking better. Not overly sold on this tobacco though. It's nice, but it's like smoking a lightly topped Virginia in a pipe dedicated to English, and I might as well do that, as always have the Latakia element.

Also, being a lightly topped Virginia with Latakia, it kind of defies the normal rules of pipe selection. Smoke it in a Virginia pipe, and I might risk leaving a Latakia ghost, but smoke it in an English pipe, and I might too much Latakia coming through, and overwhelm the rest of the blend. It kind of needs its own pipe, and I'm not prepared to do that.

I will enjoy the rest of the sample, but won't be buying full tins.

Second bowl of the Gawith Hoggarth Perfection in the Bent Poker/Cherrywood

IMG_20200927_003718_edit.jpg

As anticipated, the Latakia (both in the blend, and the ghosts in the pipe) now completely drowns everything else out. I think I'll toss this into the reject blend jar. It will be more useful in there than as a standalone blend. It is a bit of an odd duck.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Sutliff RR in my prince shape military mount Peterson. I have had this pipe since 1971 or 1972. It was the first high quality pipe I bought after I got my first professional job out of college and the only pipe I still have out of my originals. I’ve decided to send it off for a the good makeover it really deserves. It smokes so very well after many reamings and re-cakes. It loves Burley as do I and it likely had its share of Edgeworth slices back then too.

Up this evening: Red Rapparee in an old Tinder Box Milano tall bulldog; PS LBF in a Stanwell Zebrano 40 billiard; Watch City Blue Ridge Special in the 2018 Larrysson LE.
Starting a couple of weeks of vacation this evening. Headed to the mountains of north east/central New Mexico for a week or so, nothing planned, a week of solitude, reading, and smoking.

Top Bottom