What's new

New GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf

Hello,

Yesterday I received a Gillette Micromatic Clog-Pruf razor from a guy on ebay. The razor is in very good condition and I shaved with it last night. These are really nice looking razors! The shave itself was fine, but I have a sensitive face so I was very cautious and shaved with some timidity. As a result the shave was just mediocre and not on par with the shaves from my Ever-Ready 1914, but I'm sure it will be just as good once I gain confidence. But what is really wonderful about this razor is that it came with a very interesting history. The seller told me it is a 1941 Clog-Pruf. I wasn't aware you could actually zero in on an actual manufacture date of a specific Micromatic, as you can with a date code on a Gillette DE. But I think he meant that that's when his father received the razor brand new. And here's where it gets interesting. His father was a soldier in the U.S. Army and served all over Europe. He carried this razor with him the entire time. According to his son he sometimes shaved "dry" if there was no water. When he was in the Italian campaign he and several others from his unit were allowed to go into the Vatican where they saw the pope. They were in full combat gear, packs, rifles, etc., And the pope blessed them. So, according to his son this razor has been blessed by the pope and should provide shaves with no nicks or cuts ever (his words, tongue in cheek). I think this is a pretty cool bit of history to go along with this razor. That's why I buy and use vintage "things", because of the history. And he even sent me an old army photograph of his dad, just so I could see who the razor belonged to. I'll include his photo below.

Thanks
Cliff
IMG_0039.JPG

Attachments

• 1598389968197430077781.jpg
    1598389968197430077781.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 46
Great story. I love my Micromatic razors. This reminds me of my mother. She collected antique furniture and would find out the story behind each piece and put it on a little index card with the piece. When we were cleaning out her condo we found tons of notes with little stories about where something came from.

Great story. And the razor looks great! Clog-Prufs are either my #1 or #2 preferred Micromatic.

I am going to post a link to this thread on Micromatic Monday - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/micromatic-monday.547970/unread

Maybe we'll see you on Micromatic Monday. It's active all week, for any Gem blade ASR razors. There is also a (very quiet) Micromatic passaround. Try it if you haven't already tried the other Micromatics.

And give my regards to the Pope if you need to re-certify your Clog-Pruf!

Great story. I love my Micromatic razors. This reminds me of my mother. She collected antique furniture and would find out the story behind each piece and put it on a little index card with the piece. When we were cleaning out her condo we found tons of notes with little stories about where something came from.
Thanks. My mom DIDN'T do that and I wish she would have!

Great story. And the razor looks great! Clog-Prufs are either my #1 or #2 preferred Micromatic.

I am going to post a link to this thread on Micromatic Monday - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/micromatic-monday.547970/unread

Maybe we'll see you on Micromatic Monday. It's active all week, for any Gem blade ASR razors. There is also a (very quiet) Micromatic passaround. Try it if you haven't already tried the other Micromatics.

And give my regards to the Pope if you need to re-certify your Clog-Pruf!
Thanks Tanuki, I'm going edit my original post and say that Pope Pius XII actually SHAVED with this razor! I'll check out Micromatic Mondays. What is an ASR razor?

Cliff

American Safety Razor. After a variety of confusing branding and corporate consolidations, they made Gems, Ever-Readys, Treets, and Stars. Eventually I think they took over Pal.

Razors, blades, brushes, and probably other items. They had production in Brooklyn, England, then Virginia (maybe Canada too?). Their razors all used Gem style blades, under many configurations and brandings.

ASR lives on in Virginia as AccuTec making Personna blades in DE, SE, and injector formats. At least some Personnas in some countries may be made under license. It is still possible to buy Gem style SE razor blades branded Pal, Blue Star, Treet, and lots of private labels.

Here is way too much ASR info:

American Safety Razor. After a variety of confusing branding and corporate consolidations, they made Gems, Ever-Readys, Treets, and Stars. Eventually I think they took over Pal.

Razors, blades, brushes, and probably other items. They had production in Brooklyn, England, then Virginia (maybe Canada too?). Their razors all used Gem style blades, under many configurations and brandings.

ASR lives on in Virginia as AccuTec making Personna blades in DE, SE, and injector formats. At least some Personnas in some countries may be made under license. It is still possible to buy Gem style SE razor blades branded Pal, Blue Star, Treet, and lots of private labels.

Here is way too much ASR info:

Wow, that's amazing. How they managed to corral so many other companies in what some would call a free-for-all environment, is beyond me, and to still be at it? Amazing. Thanks for your response, very helpful, and I'll check out your link.

Cliff

@salish I hope you do join us on Micromatic Monday. That's a great razor and the background on it is super cool. However I have to point out that it's a GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf, in your original post you said Gillette Micromatic Clog-Pruf I'm assuming that's what the seller listed it as. Gem and Gillette were major competitors. I believe Gillette tried suing Gem but can't find that info. Maybe someone knows were to find it. Perhaps @Ron R or @Flintstone65 can enlighten us.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
@salish I hope you do join us on Micromatic Monday. That's a great razor and the background on it is super cool. However I have to point out that it's a GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf, in your original post you said Gillette Micromatic Clog-Pruf I'm assuming that's what the seller listed it as. Gem and Gillette were major competitors. I believe Gillette tried suing Gem but can't find that info. Maybe someone knows were to find it. Perhaps @Ron R or @Flintstone65 can enlighten us.
One of the GEM Historians that did a write up on some basic history mentioned that Gillette tried to slow the development Gem Micromatic TTO models because they were ahead in years of Gillette models and from his brief mention that they claimed patent infringement and razors are so much different. Gem was like 3-4 years ahead of Gillette's first TTO razor public offering- The Micromatics were developed in the dirty 1930's and more than likely saved the company from closing the doors IMO during harsh survival times.
If you look through the pages on this thread you will find it, there is so much information it is hard to find every historical mention!
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Thanks, I will definitely consider joining you guys for the Micromatic Mondays, thank you. The Gillette moniker was my fault, it was a typo. I was going to edit my original post to correct it but the system would not let me, so I just let it ride. Thanks again.
Cliff

One of the GEM Historians that did a write up on some basic history mentioned that Gillette tried to slow the development Gem Micromatic TTO models because they were ahead in years of Gillette models and from his brief mention that they claimed patent infringement and razors are so much different. Gem was like 3-4 years ahead of Gillette's first TTO razor public offering- The Micromatics were developed in the dirty 1930's and more than likely saved the company from closing the doors IMO during harsh survival times.
If you look through the pages on this thread you will find it, there is so much information it is hard to find every historical mention!
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!
Very interesting history, thank you. I'm learning more about vintage razors and all the companies I am left with the feeling that there was a dog-eat-dog competitive world out there. Especially with the Star/GEM/Ever-Ready/ASR connections, and of course, Gillette and Schick. And then a raft of also-rans with proprietary blades and sharpening systems. Pretty interesting stuff. Thank you.
Cliff

Thanks, I will definitely consider joining you guys for the Micromatic Mondays, thank you. The Gillette moniker was my fault, it was a typo. I was going to edit my original post to correct it but the system would not let me, so I just let it ride. Thanks again.
Cliff

Yeah I don't know why we only get 5 minutes to go back and edit a post.

Salish that is such a cool story. I have an old micromatic open comb with the letters HB stamped on the cap of the razor. I have always said if this razor could talk what interesting stories it could tell. This is my first micromatic and I absolutely love the shave it gets. You are in the right place to ask lots of questions, folks on here definitely know what they are talking about. Welcome.
EFD3B25A-0309-4A22-A4F5-039E7E7F03FD.jpeg

Thanks Vermonster. I've been very happy with the knowledge base here in this forum, given so freely and in a friendly way. Some great people. Just curious, do you know who the previous owner of your Micromatic is? Maybe they have some insight as to the initials?

I agree with you about this razor. I'm on my third shave with this razor and as my confidence increases the shaves keep getting better. I'm very happy with it. In addition to its sharp looks, it has a nice heft to it which seems to balance it well.

Cliff

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
This is the greatest appeal of vintage razors for me. The stories those old hunks of metal could tell and the places they've been...That's also why I love finding the sorry looking neglected ones that at first glance my seem beyond salvage. It is simply amazing to see how far gone a razor can appear to be and yet with a bit of elbow grease they become shiny and new in no time.

I’m not sure who the previous owner was. I bought it online from a seller out in North Dakota. It has lots of wear and tear on it but it has lots of character and mechanically it works fine. What amazes me is how old it is and it still gives a great shave. These razors were built to last a lifetime. I’m a history buff and it’s neat to shave with a razor every day that was made in the 30’s. I’m 48 years old and just got into wet shaving and gem razors. When I snagged my micromatic open comb I showed it to my wife and she said you are going to shave with THAT! Priceless!

This is the greatest appeal of vintage razors for me. The stories those old hunks of metal could tell and the places they've been...That's also why I love finding the sorry looking neglected ones that at first glance my seem beyond salvage. It is simply amazing to see how far gone a razor can appear to be and yet with a bit of elbow grease they become shiny and new in no time.
Great points, all of them. I love vintage things in general, for the reasons you've mentioned. Like someone said, if they could only talk👍

I’m not sure who the previous owner was. I bought it online from a seller out in North Dakota. It has lots of wear and tear on it but it has lots of character and mechanically it works fine. What amazes me is how old it is and it still gives a great shave. These razors were built to last a lifetime. I’m a history buff and it’s neat to shave with a razor every day that was made in the 30’s. I’m 48 years old and just got into wet shaving and gem razors. When I snagged my micromatic open comb I showed it to my wife and she said you are going to shave with THAT! Priceless!
That's funny, I can't blame your wife saying that, most people would, and most people also don't know they'll give as good or a better shave than a new razor. I didnt. I first shaved with an Ever-Ready 1914 razor about 10 years ago and I was amazed that a razor made a hundred years ago could work so well. I'm a pushover for history, also, and I languish in vintage stuff. I hunt upland birds and turkeys with Winchester shotguns made in 1914, waterfowl with another Winchester shotgun made in 1917, fish with a 1940's Granger bamboo fly rod and silk line, hike in boots I bought new in 1975, and use a 60 year old Trapper Nelson backpack. Not to belabor the point, but just about everything about me is vintage. Not everything was better back in the day, but on the other hand so much of it was.

Cliff

Top Bottom