What's new

New GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf

Hello,

Yesterday I received a Gillette Micromatic Clog-Pruf razor from a guy on ebay. The razor is in very good condition and I shaved with it last night. These are really nice looking razors! The shave itself was fine, but I have a sensitive face so I was very cautious and shaved with some timidity. As a result the shave was just mediocre and not on par with the shaves from my Ever-Ready 1914, but I'm sure it will be just as good once I gain confidence. But what is really wonderful about this razor is that it came with a very interesting history. The seller told me it is a 1941 Clog-Pruf. I wasn't aware you could actually zero in on an actual manufacture date of a specific Micromatic, as you can with a date code on a Gillette DE. But I think he meant that that's when his father received the razor brand new. And here's where it gets interesting. His father was a soldier in the U.S. Army and served all over Europe. He carried this razor with him the entire time. According to his son he sometimes shaved "dry" if there was no water. When he was in the Italian campaign he and several others from his unit were allowed to go into the Vatican where they saw the pope. They were in full combat gear, packs, rifles, etc., And the pope blessed them. So, according to his son this razor has been blessed by the pope and should provide shaves with no nicks or cuts ever (his words, tongue in cheek). I think this is a pretty cool bit of history to go along with this razor. That's why I buy and use vintage "things", because of the history. And he even sent me an old army photograph of his dad, just so I could see who the razor belonged to. I'll include his photo below.

Thanks
CliffView attachment 1145686
Congratulations! The ClogPruf is my favorite SE razor. Mine is in brass without plating. The only thing I found is to be careful with new blades. If I slip, I pay with blood. Have fun with your new ClogPruf!

Congratulations! The ClogPruf is my favorite SE razor. Mine is in brass without plating. The only thing I found is to be careful with new blades. If I slip, I pay with blood. Have fun with your new ClogPruf!
Thank you. I'm on my third shave with it and I'm liking it. Thanks for the tip on the new blades.

Tomorrow is Micromatic Monday. Definitely have to give us a full report. I’m glad you are liking these Micromatic razors. I don’t have a Clog-Pruf but I do have 2 open combs. It still gets me how good these old razors shave. I have been using treet carbons and the Ptfe coated stainless blades. I hand strop them every time I shave. If I had to make a call on the blades MAYBE the carbons are a smoother shave. Not sure yet. I think a lot of it has to do with the lather I am making and that’s a whole different story! What the heck , we are having fun right? Keep us up to date brother.

Tomorrow is Micromatic Monday. Definitely have to give us a full report. I’m glad you are liking these Micromatic razors. I don’t have a Clog-Pruf but I do have 2 open combs. It still gets me how good these old razors shave. I have been using treet carbons and the Ptfe coated stainless blades. I hand strop them every time I shave. If I had to make a call on the blades MAYBE the carbons are a smoother shave. Not sure yet. I think a lot of it has to do with the lather I am making and that’s a whole different story! What the heck , we are having fun right? Keep us up to date brother.
Sure, I'll give it a go tomorrow with the Clog-Pruf. I have an old Schick razor coming either today or tomorrow but I'll hold off on using it until later this week. I have maybe a half dozen GEM ptfe blades I've been using with my Ever-Ready for the past few years so I'll need to order some new blades soon. I'll keep the Treet blades in mind.

Cliff

Top Bottom