What's new

Razorock Hawk V3 in stainless steel

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I am looking forward to reading your comparisons about ATT SE1 vs. RR Hawk v3 OC.
Do you have SE2?
SE1 always gives me very close shave.
I think it is fair to compare RR Hawk v3 OC with SE2 rather than SE1.

I have a Windsor SE1, and a regular SE2. Not in love with the SE2, I'll say that, but it's a great razor. I just haven't found a blade that I can use in it.

Stay tuned. I'll return to the V3OC probably in a couple of weeks.

O.H.

Oh, I'm sure you will love them. They are probably the best AC blade, nice and smooth and they stay sharp for a while. I'd definitely recommend them for the Hawk. I use the OC V3 version, if that matters and there's a lot of "blade feel," but it's never unpleasant and the razor is super efficient with those Kais.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I love the Kai P!nk Milds in the V3OC, but do it wrong. That’s why it’d be a good idea for me to use guarded. I don’t and so far won’t, but probably should.

I tried the Kai Captain Titan Mild in my Vector the past week. Really really smooth. I liked the Kai blade I got from Try-a-Blade enough to order a couple 20-blade dispensers a couple days ago.

I had been strictly a Schick Proline user, which I still love too.

thombrogan

Some day, I’ll brave the Vincent PSI VT306B blades. Proline height, but a thinner bevel. A lot less expensive even with higher price of $12usd shipped per 50

Had my first shave with the Hawk V3 last night (face), then again this morning (head).

Welp... I'm pretty impressed. I wasn't sure what to expect since my only other experience (up until two weeks ago when I received the Vector) was with an El Jefe 1st Gen (awful). Anyway, I'm no stranger to AC (I own 10 AC straights) but the El Jefe is the only one to bite me and I assumed it was the format. I was wrong. Nevermind that the Vector is absolutely perfect, the Hawk V3 is a REALLY nice razor. The heft and balance takes some getting used to but after fidgeting with it in my hand for a few minutes, I figured it out and just went for it.

Thank you @hins2jw0 for this awesome addition to my collection. I'm pleasantly surprised by how smooth and efficient it is. I'm going to order the open comb as well. While I'm certainly not his biggest fan, Joseph has done it again and certainly deserves my money (very little as it were! What a bargain!) for this heirloom quality, high performer.

Just came in today. Hawk V3-A with Super Knurl. Looking forward to taking this razor for a few shaves. I’ve got a couple other razors that I’m working through at the moment but, it won’t be long until this one gets its turn.....

8E03949F-876C-4678-9FE2-B295BB32A00C.jpeg

8F65D084-190D-4D06-BAF5-0FC71CB2E0C2.jpeg

059CE2CF-BE2D-4C12-8F66-EDA89770703D.jpeg

I got an OC just because I received a notice and it was in stock. Have been sporting a beard On an off for the past year,first time in my adult life, now 55. It came and it tempted me too much so the beard came off with the OC, no pre trimming and so easy. Used it aprox 5 times, beard is back. But it is the best so far of any single edge I have. I like that it is the most aggressive so far, i do have a General and the original Hawk (plus tons of gems, shicks,pals,etc), those are very nice but too mild. My reference is a one pass R-41 shave, so good, either the 2013 or 2011. I use the 2013 more as i dont have to pay too much attention to the blade. The V3 OC is very good under my nose, it is difficult with the General and the Alum Hawk.

First shave today with the V3 Open Comb. I briefly owned the safety bar version but traded it for a Mongoose. The SB version just wasn't as efficient a razor as I had hoped. The Mongoose, interestingly enough, is not any more efficient than the Hawk V3 SB, but it's the only razor I've tried in which I can use a Feather Pro Super. Usually those blades are just too harsh, but in the Mongoose there's lots of blade feel but it's just comfortable enough - and it yields a super close shave.

Anyway, on to the V3 OC. I loaded it with a new Proline blade this morning, lathered up and performed my usual two pass + touch-up shave. As with the safety bar V3, the razor is well balanced and intuitive to use. It's very smooth with moderate blade feel and produced a very close and comfortable shave. Over the next week, I'm going to alternate between this razor and my Classic Shaving Enoch. Both now have Proline blades with one shave on them. The Enoch has become one of my favorite razors. It's a pleasure to use and never disappoints me - no cuts, weepers or irritation while always producing very close shaves. Based upon my first impressions of the V3 OC, I think it will be every bit as good as the Enoch, and maybe even better.

Old Hippie

Used it aprox 5 times, beard is back.

Heh. I hear ya. Now you can start shaving your head. Everybody wins: you keep playing with razors, plus you get to keep the beard.

And let's be honest, shavin' off yer eyebrows would just make people look at you funny.

O.H.

This morning I used the Hawk V3 OC on one side of my face and the Enoch on the other. It was a quick two pass shave, no touch-ups, because I was running late. The Enoch is smoother; the open comb on the Hawk is not at all uncomfortable, but it does provide quite a bit more blade feel than the Enoch. That additional blade feel makes me more cautious as I shave, and that translates to me as not as smooth. Maybe over time as I get more accustomed to the Hawk, that will change. I also like the balance of the Enoch better, but if I weren't using them side by side I doubt I would have noticed it. The surprise to me was in the results. I guess that additional blade feel on the Hawk had me believing that it was shaving closer than the Enoch, but that was not the case. While it's not a large difference, the right side of my face, which I shaved with the Enoch, is definitely smoother. From past experience of doing side by side comparisons, I am confident that this is due to the razor and not beard differences from side to side or technique variations (being a right handed person, do I shave my right side differently than my left?). Just to be sure, tomorrow I will repeat the process using the Hawk on the right and the Enoch on the left, but I will be very surprised if I get different results. The one thing that might change the results is if my technique with the Enoch improves as I have more experience using it.

thombrogan

Well, @bmwlaw , I think I did it. I’m a rank novice, by the way. When I’m paid to shave, I’ll stop being an amateur, but will probably still be a novice.

Found the sweet spot RazoRock designed for properly using the V3OC and the shave went better. Not as close, but better.

(being a right handed person, do I shave my right side differently than my left?)

I know I do. Weirdly enough, I always get a better shave on my left side, even though I'm right-handed. It's obviously got something to do with the angle, but for the life of me I can't figure out what. When I shave with my (non-dominant) left hand on the left side, I get the same results as with the right hand on the right side. Only the cross right-hand-left-side gives me consistently smooth shave on my neck. Oh well

I know I do. Weirdly enough, I always get a better shave on my left side, even though I'm right-handed. It's obviously got something to do with the angle, but for the life of me I can't figure out what. When I shave with my (non-dominant) left hand on the left side, I get the same results as with the right hand on the right side. Only the cross right-hand-left-side gives me consistently smooth shave on my neck. Oh well
Oh man. All this time I thought I was the only one who had this issue.

Old Hippie

Oh man. All this time I thought I was the only one who had this issue.

Not even close. I'm functionally ambidextrous, so I shave left with left, right with right and sometimes left with right, right with left. "Ambidextrous" doesn't mean they're exactly the same, but pretty much they ARE close.

O.H.

Top Bottom