What's new

Most efficient yet mild razor

I hate this for you. A slant, and I own four, is literally the only razor of the 15 or so DE razors I have that gives me consistently smooth, irritation free shaves. Hell, I’m still struggling with the Mergress I bought a month ago.

For your slant, study the razor a bit and you will see the ”teeth” on the cap and the “teeth” on the guard make a nearly flat surface. Place the head of the razor, without a blade, against your palm and rock it back and forth and I think you will see what I’m talking about. You want this flat surface against your face. That is to say, dont “ride the cap” or “ride the guard” as some people describe. With a slant you ride both.

Also, be absolutely sure the blade is aligned. this is kind of hard to judge but if you hold the razor vertically and look down on the cap everything should be perfectly symmetrical from one side of the razor to the other. The blade should be parallel to the edges of the cap as well as the guard. With my slants I almost always have to loosen the handle a bit and slide the blade into the right position a bit.

Finally, my real breakthrough on a slant happened when I went to a Feather blade. A Derby was ok but a Feather was the bomb.

Good luck.

Really appreciated your advice here. I tried the slant again today and after 3 passes got a near bbs shave. I realised reading your tips that riding the cap was wrong for this razor and tried riding the bar more. Plus the blade was indeed misaligned; quite badly I might add. The culmination of correcting these factors produced a decent shave.

More work is to be done in getting the right technique with this razor, but I wanted to thank you for your helpful input!

X
Really appreciated your advice here. I tried the slant again today and after 3 passes got a near bbs shave. I realised reading your tips that riding the cap was wrong for this razor and tried riding the bar more. Plus the blade was indeed misaligned; quite badly I might add. The culmination of correcting these factors produced a decent shave.

More work is to be done in getting the right technique with this razor, but I wanted to thank you for your helpful input!

This made my day! Nothing more frustrating than trying a razor that others rave about than to have disappointing results. Sounds like you are on your way now. Glad I could help. I think Ive used slants almost exclusively for 10 years now - I like the experience and the results that much. It’s the one variable I seldom change, razor choice.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The game changer was the first shop at duplicating the WR1. The Lupo is the much more obvious and recent (and in my opinion, More successful) copy.

Interesting. Was not aware of that. Always good to learn new information. :)

As an aside, I was going by the name "Lupo" and by the description on the Italian Barber website:

"RazoRock Lupo DE Safety Razor
The RazoRock Lupo safety razor has an interesting story. Many of our clients were frustrated because there is a very popular safety razor in the marketplace that is almost impossible to obtain. On top of that, these razors were selling for over $500 a pop! A good client then made an interesting proposal. He said to us, "If I send you one of these $500 razors, do you think you can make some under your RazoRock brand and sell them for a lot less than $500?" We hummed and hawed but eventually, we agreed."

I know from talking to Tatara that prototypes were made in a variety of metals for testing... but so far none have made to market. I was asking about a Titanium razor but ultimately they can't see a Ti Tatara selling well. Bear in mind, I've asked about a shorter handle for a while... to be told they aren't interested in manufacturing one and now I have one on the way! So you never know.

I'm with you on that. I'm only interested in razors with small profiles now and have sold my larger razors (Timeless, Karve etc). I like the Calypso but do prefer a head with better blade support like the Tatara.

Well, small outfits are usually much slower to respond than bigger ones, the main advantage being that, many times, it is well worth the wait! Their SS version is around $170 US if I'm not mistaken... This should push a Ti version well into $220-$230 territory. Pretty sure Tatara, as wondenrfull as the razor is, based on most of what I've read from it's owners, is not a high rotation piece... That the Ti version would be even harder to sell is practically a no-brainer... Luckily, I'm wrong on these things most of the time! Lol!

The second line in your post intigues me quite a bit, I must say... I've been waiting on the Alu Karve OC (I was dead set on the F-plate, but willing to reconsider at this point) like, how to say it in english, the provervial "November Rain"? (Does it even make any sense? Lol, I hope it does...). Based solely on the pictures I've seen, the head on the Karve does seem pretty flat, low profile to me... Maybe not as much as the Tatara but still... And yes, nowhere near as tall as some of the Timeless designs... And the Karve should be plenty light too, lighter than the Calypso with a 3.25 in handle... Or maybe you were talking about an SS/Brass one... But did you find the size of the head to be an issue for you?

Thank you very much for your feedback!

If you are willing to take a walk on the Single Edge side, grab a GEM Featherweight Deluxe.

Shaved with mine yesterday afternoon and got a 4-pass (WTG/XTG/XTG/ATG with minor touch-ups) ZERO nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation, "Bride Approved" BBS that is still a CCS+ after >12 hours.
View attachment 1092206

Readily available and not expensive. :)

YMMV :)

Hmm... Very tempting to say the least! I don't live in the US, which makes acquiring quality vintage razors, DE or SE, a bit more complicated (shipping, returns, warranty, etc)... One of the reasons I mainly stick to modern. But you guys have been bombarding me with so many compelling choices and recommendations that I might just eventually take the plunge one of these days...

"Bride Approved" BBS that is still a CCS+ after >12 hours... That sure is a hard shave to beat!

Many thanks for your input!

The second line in your post intigues me quite a bit, I must say... I've been waiting on the Alu Karve OC (I was dead set on the F-plate, but willing to reconsider at this point) like, how to say it in english, the provervial "November Rain"? (Does it even make any sense? Lol, I hope it does...). Based solely on the pictures I've seen, the head on the Karve does seem pretty flat, low profile to me... Maybe not as much as the Tatara but still... And yes, nowhere near as tall as some of the Timeless designs... And the Karve should be plenty light too, lighter than the Calypso with a 3.25 in handle... Or maybe you were talking about an SS/Brass one... But did you find the size of the head to be an issue for you?

True the top cap of the Karve is low profile and flat, I found the baseplate itself quite chunky and tall making the head as a whole larger than I'd like. I just prefer designs like Tatara, Charcoal Goods gen. 1, Wolfman WR1, Carbon Shaving, etc with compact heads.

This is nothing to do with weight... it is just a preference. You may of course disagree, which is fine.

Karve OC F plate, I thought you were looking for a "mild" razor :eek2: I'm sure it would be plenty efficient!

True the top cap of the Karve is low profile and flat, I found the baseplate itself quite chunky and tall making the head as a whole larger than I'd like. I just prefer designs like Tatara, Charcoal Goods gen. 1, Wolfman WR1, Carbon Shaving, etc with compact heads.

This is nothing to do with weight... it is just a preference. You may of course disagree, which is fine.

Karve OC F plate, I thought you were looking for a "mild" razor :eek2: I'm sure it would be plenty efficient!

I appreciate your reply and thanks for the clarification. I know very well that just looking at some pics of a particular razor cannot possibly compare to actually using the thing. This is the reason I place so much value in actual user feedback from people who have actually shaved with it.

As I said, I was dead set on the F plate, but thinking now that a milder setup might be a better way go ("most efficient, no compromises" was my old battle cry. Now it's more something like "has anyone seen my car keys?" Lol!).

I'll still keep an eye out for the Alu Karve, even though it's starting to look like unobtainium to me more and more.

You mention some pretty amazing razors, a bit beyond my usual budget, but amazing no doubt. I hope I'll have the chance to try a few one of these days!

Many thanks for your reply and please, do stay safe!

I'll still keep an eye out for the Alu Karve, even though it's starting to look like unobtainium to me more and more.

I know what you mean, but it does sound like they will be restocking soon.

You mention some pretty amazing razors, a bit beyond my usual budget, but amazing no doubt. I hope I'll have the chance to try a few one of these days!

To be fair some of them are beyond my budget as well. I only own the Tatara and the Charcoal Goods.

Efficient but mild eh?

The only one that springs right to my mind is the Feather AS-D2. It's the epitome of mild but efficient.

Sorry if this has already been pointed out.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Efficient but mild eh?

The only one that springs right to my mind is the Feather AS-D2. It's the epitome of mild but efficient.

Sorry if this has already been pointed out.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

It has but I still appreciate your recommendation! Such a beautiful razor too!

For me: The Colonial Silversmith. I guess you could say it's a mid aggressive razor but it's the smoothest, most comfortable razor I've ever used and can get near BBS in 2 passes with no drama. It feels very safe and forgiving. Around the efficiency of the Gamechanger .84

Any outcome?

Well, at the moment I’d say my most efficient yet comfortable razor (I wouldn’t go as far as to call it mild) is the Fatip Piccolo Originale. This razor has shown me how uncomfortable my previous favorite razors can be (ATT H2 and Muhle R41). I mean, I'm not saying that they are bad, but the Piccolo is so much smoother!

I’m liking my Piccolo so much (been shaving with it for 2-3 months now) that I already ordered a Grande and I will be patiently waiting for the availability of the Storto (sadly, that might take a while but hopefully not too long).

The ATT H2 is still one of my favorite and most efficient razors. I find it even more efficient (yet smoother) than the venerable Muhle R41. Someone in this thread suggested I give the ATT M2 (mild) plate a try for a much milder, yet still very efficient shaving experience. It seems like a sensible recommendation, so I ordered me one of those. Since I usually have my shaving gear delivered to relatives in the US and then have it brought back to me during a family member or a friend’s trip, it looks like that one is also going to take a while… Damn virus, lol!

The Aluminum Karve is still very high on my list (it’s actually been there for quite some time now. Starting to wonder of these will ever be available again…). I’ll be definitively getting an OC F-plate (yup, that’s me) but will also get a C or a D for the efficient/mild experience.

The RR GC 84 OC is also high on my list, but I’m still a bit undecided about that one... Can’t quite put my finger on what it is that makes me hesitate about that one.

Also considering the Muhle R94 and the EJ 3ONE6, even though I have a very strong preference for open combs. Everything I've read about these two razors points to a very smooth, comfortable and yet efficient experience. These are a bit on the expensive side for me, but you can get some very, very interesting prices if you chose to go across the pond, with very reasonable, even free, shipping! So I’m also considering these two.

Finally, vintage… Been trying my best to resist vintage (have successfully done so for many, many years). But ever since I’ve joined this forum, I can feel my resolve about resisting vintage get weaker by the day… Maybe I should just give in… Lol!

And that how things stand at the moment! Thank you very much for your post, many happy shaves and please, do stay safe!

What would you say is the most efficient (gunning for efficiency, not necessarily aggressiveness) yet mild (smooth, comfortable, non-irritating, etc.) razor that you have ever tried?

Merkur 34c paired with Lord SS blade (closely followed by Astra SS & SP) have given me my best shaves- BBS quality, zero irritation.

Merkur 34c paired with Lord SS blade (closely followed by Astra SS & SP) have given me my best shaves- BBS quality, zero irritation.

The 34c is just a tad milder than what I like, but I agree that it is a fairly efficient razor that gives me very comfortable, irritation and drama free shaves. I especially like to pair mine with Kai blades for a little bump in the efficiency department. Kais are also very smooth and some of the longest lasting blades I’ve tried, YMMV.

Thank you very much for your post and I’ll be sure to give your blade recommendations a try as soon as I can.

Top Bottom