What's new

Most efficient yet mild razor

One of the adjustable razors at a very low setting.

The Star DE razor from the 1950's, the Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip from the 1950's, and the Gillette Super Speed Black Tip from the early 1950's are other possibilities.

Pegasus, that was a doozy of an answer to a short question. Like being in the candy store, it's hard to decide. People sure have nice things to say about the Karve. I have to essentially repeat what I said about the PAA DOC. I have the cheap one, I think there's three versions. I don't remember what you're looking for, but I'm guessing it's perfection. I hear ya, if that's the case. I have purchased several myself (gold techs, 34G, EJ89, Future, slim, red tip, fatty, a couple slants, 1930's OC), and the best in my opinion is the PAA DOC. I don't feel the blade edge. I can shave fast and relatively safely, provided I don't slide the razor the wrong direction. The shave always feels good and two passes on a tough beard leaves smooth skin. Perfection. YMMV. Skin prep is important and if that's good enough, the razor might not matter much. I haven't tried a Feather blade with the DOC, but putting a very sharp blade with a comfortable razor is something to consider. Hello, Amazon...?

Pegasus, that was a doozy of an answer to a short question. Like being in the candy store, it's hard to decide. People sure have nice things to say about the Karve. I have to essentially repeat what I said about the PAA DOC. I have the cheap one, I think there's three versions. I don't remember what you're looking for, but I'm guessing it's perfection. I hear ya, if that's the case. I have purchased several myself (gold techs, 34G, EJ89, Future, slim, red tip, fatty, a couple slants, 1930's OC), and the best in my opinion is the PAA DOC. I don't feel the blade edge. I can shave fast and relatively safely, provided I don't slide the razor the wrong direction. The shave always feels good and two passes on a tough beard leaves smooth skin. Perfection. YMMV. Skin prep is important and if that's good enough, the razor might not matter much. I haven't tried a Feather blade with the DOC, but putting a very sharp blade with a comfortable razor is something to consider. Hello, Amazon...?

To be completely honest, I've never payed much attention to PAA razors in general nor the DOC in particular... Maybe it's something I need to correct pronto! I really appreciate your advice and will take a closer look at the DOC.

And sorry about the mile-long answer... Maybe I just have too much free time with this lockdown nonsense and all... Lol!

Cheers!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday May 18th 2020.

Razor: Gem Push button -Mfg 1958-65 I like the looks of this Razor and with it being black & gold sets it off to my eye. This razor is on the milder side of the Gem razors and can perform with good hand technique like any razor.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) - One of the best all around blades in my den.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- one of my favorites for scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi timberwolf whiskers 24mm - Very nice brush to apply lather to my face, soft tips & has not let me down.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + clean up.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave with witch hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm on beard area.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= :a17: Just a excellent shave with my Gem push-button.
1 1/2 hrs later after skin has hydrated I have a BBs shave, excellent.
GEMonday May18,2020 (2).jpg
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Mild yet Efficient? That'll be the Feather AS-D2 then.

The mildest razor I know of. I've not been able to cut myself with this and a feather blade as yet. Aside from moving it sideways It's nigh on impossible.

Despite that it's a veritable ninja in its approach to cutting down my whiskers. Nothing else comes close to its efficient but gentle touch. It's a real keeper.

Merkur 37C slant
Merkur 38B
Pearl SSH-05 close comb
Edwin Jagger De89 with Razorock stainless steel barberpole handle.
Game Changer .84-p with short handles.

For me this is probably the Winning razor made by Yates for the Wet Shaving Club. Sadly, WSC decided to discontinue production of the Winning around July of 2022. For me the Winning is somehow efficient despite being a "mild" razor. Used it this morning and got a near-BBS and completely irritatiion-free shave.

The Simple Clean Shave razor followed by the Winning razor, which in turn is followed by the Henson. All three are great performers while being mild.

For me this is probably the Winning razor made by Yates for the Wet Shaving Club. Sadly, WSC decided to discontinue production of the Winning around July of 2022. For me the Winning is somehow efficient despite being a "mild" razor. Used it this morning and got a near-BBS and completely irritatiion-free shave.

I asked Yates about it and they replied that they are looking at releasing a similar razor under their own brand.

I asked Yates about it and they replied that they are looking at releasing a similar razor under their own brand.
Yes, I also received a similar reply from Jake Yates. Yates produces quality products: I have the Winning and the 'Merica and they are both great razors in my opinion. I hope they will be able to create an improved version of the Winning at the "under $100" price point as I think it would be a great product!

My favorite modern razors that fit into that category are:

Blackland Blackbird SB
Pearl Flexi
Razorock Game Changer .84p

They are not the most efficient, but I can do as many passes and strokes as I please without getting a hint of irritation, cut, nicks or whatever. I'm waiting for my Karve Overlander to arrive and from what I've heard, it should also fit into that category as well.

Another clear vote for the Feather AS-D2 with Feather blade. As a mild yet efficient razor, I don't think it has competition. Perhaps the Tatara Masamune comes close but it is a touch more aggressive. These razors are for daily shavers, not the uncommitted crowd.

ERA SB4 - was actually milder then I wanted and I like mild-medium razors. But it was very efficient. I can’t wait to try the 5 plate soon.

GC-84p - my daily go to razor. Just love the way it shaves, buttery smooth while being quite efficient.

R89 with a shim - the shim really helps the 89 heads shave closer while remaining just as smooth. I have an old DE89 here that has a wider gap from the factory and narrower top cap that’s an amazing shaver.

Gillette Tech with a sharp blade. I suppose the Feather AS-D2 fits here as well but I don’t have enough firsthand experience to say one way or the other.

Red tip super speed with a sharp blade which I find similar to the 84p in shaving characteristics. Very efficient while remaining reasonably mild.

Top Bottom