What's new

Most efficient yet mild razor

My most efficient with no blade feel are in order 1.Paradigm Diamondback 2020 2.H&S Ti Efficient 3.Karve Overlander 4.Timeless Slim Ti Sb 5. Razorock Wunderbar

Can’t go wrong with any of the razors listed except the Wunderbar. No blade feel but the angle has to be maintained or that no blade feel will make you pay. Great for exfoliation lol

If it’s vintage its no doubt 1. Gillette Tech Hybrid 2.RFB 3. Hoffritz Slant 4. Diamond Goodwill #164 5. English Red Tip

Having both (and an R89), they are great razors. The NEW is so good, I bought a second one for no good reason!
Tomorrow I will create a topic with Gillette New modifications, I have them different and I'm not talking about the difference between a long and a short comb. The combs are all long, but the heads are different.

Tomorrow I will create a topic with Gillette New modifications, I have them different and I'm not talking about the difference between a long and a short comb. The combs are all long, but the heads are different.
Both of mine are the LC versions. I bought one from Back Roads Gold when he was redoing my Old Type. That one came with the common bar handle. The well used one came with the old press fit ball type handle with a big crack. While I had it repaired, I find I like using a 40's era ball end Tech handle with it. The markings on the plate are different on the one I got from Chris and the cap on that one is thinner as well from the well used one I bought (which ended up being free as the ebay seller failed to disclose the crack in the handle and said to just keep it rather than return it). A local jeweler brazed the handle for $15 so that's my cost on that one. To me, the both shave the same.

The NEW series are amongst the most affordable as well as some of the best Gillette razors ever made. The NEW LC is my first choice for someone who wants to try a vintage Gillette razor and if the person likes it and wishes to go deeper and try something else, I would also recommend the SC as well as the Goodwills and the New Improved.

While the New Improved isn't related to the NEW series, it's from where the inspiration of the NEW razors came and in my opinion, it's my favorite vintage Gillette to shave with. The #160 Goodwill is close second. I have to do a side by side shave with my British Goodwill alone with the US #160 to see if there's a noticeable difference or not.

Another clear vote for the Feather AS-D2 with Feather blade. As a mild yet efficient razor, I don't think it has competition. Perhaps the Tatara Masamune comes close but it is a touch more aggressive. These razors are for daily shavers, not the uncommitted crowd.
Still debating between these 3. So would one suggest the AS-D2, Masamune, or Overlander for someone looking for a mild yet effective razor?

Still debating between these 3. So would one suggest the AS-D2, Masamune, or Overlander for someone looking for a mild yet effective razor?
I can only tell you how the AS-D2 and Masamune have worked for me. I know nothing about the Karve. If you buy one, you'd be wise to purchase it from a site that will allow you easy returns because what I like for me or someone else likes for them may be completely wrong for you.

I have or have had all 3 of those razors. I find the Overlander the most efficient and use it most. The Masamune is nice as well but I typically use either the full Nodachi head or the Masamune base with Nodachi cap for a bit more efficiency. Returned the ASD2 as it was way too mild and felt like I needed to shave just after I finished shaving. Always amazed at the folks who claim this is an efficient razor…I didn’t find it remotely efficient.

An even better choice would be to consider the Yates 921-M….. fantastic performer.

The Yates recommendation doesn't surprise me as I have heard that the Yates with the M plate shaves similarly to the 'Merica (also unsurprising as Yates manufactures both). I find the 'Merica to be relatively efficient despite being fairly mild.

Based on my positive experiences with the Winning (also made by Yates) and the 'Merica, I am wondering whether the Yates with the H or EH plate might be my "grail" razor...

The Yates recommendation doesn't surprise me as I have heard that the Yates with the M plate shaves similarly to the 'Merica (also unsurprising as Yates manufactures both). I find the 'Merica to be relatively efficient despite being fairly mild.

Based on my positive experiences with the Winning (also made by Yates) and the 'Merica, I am wondering whether the Yates with the H or EH plate might be my "grail" razor...
The Yates H is my favorite razor. I find it shaves very similarly to the M plate but offers more efficiency. The EH plate for me added more aggressiveness without much more in efficiency. The H just hits the sweet spot for me and daily shaving. The Blackbird is my second favorite razor and provides similar shaves as the Yates H but with more blade feel.

Top Bottom