What's new

Most efficient yet mild razor

I have the HD 34c, Muhle R108, WSP El Grande 2 DE OC, Rex Envoy, Tatara Masamune... the razor that gives me the closest shave is the Gillette Fatboy... every time.

I've had my eye on the Masamune for quite some time now... Most reviews are fantastic and the razor just seems exceptionally made. I've been holding on it since there are rumors that Tatara might come out with an Alu version (which I generally prefer very much to SS. I love light, maneuverable razors and it should be a little cheaper too!). We'll see... Thank you very much for your post

for me it's a Feather AS-D2 with Feather blade (so far). What I've learned is that blade choice makes a big difference in a mild razor like the Feather AS-D2. At the moment I'm trying different blades to find the perfect combination that works for me but I suspect this applies to all razors (YMMV)

The Futur is a razor that has intrigued me for a very long time. I've read many great things about it. I'm not sure if I'd be able to get along with it's head, it seems quite taller than I'd prefer. A while back I bought a Rockwell 6S and only shaved with it a few times. The shaves are ok but I just can't seem to get along with it's tall head... Maybe I should just give it another run see what happens... Thank you very much for your recommnedation!
Lots of people see the blade gap and think the Futur is agressive. Well it can be if you use any pressure but it doesn't have a lot of blade exposure so it actually feels mild to me. I usually have it set between 2 and 3. I don't need to turn it up any higher to get a great shave.

This Star DE is fantastic.

Attachments

• DF2B9E19-ACE8-466D-B16A-9E48EE6B1B48.jpeg
    DF2B9E19-ACE8-466D-B16A-9E48EE6B1B48.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 57
I've had my eye on the Masamune for quite some time now... Most reviews are fantastic and the razor just seems exceptionally made. I've been holding on it since there are rumors that Tatara might come out with an Alu version (which I generally prefer very much to SS. I love light, maneuverable razors and it should be a little cheaper too!). We'll see...

It's a wonderful razor. Where did you hear about the Al Tatara? I ordered the new short handle which should bring the weight down slightly (50g according to the email).

Just did a quick weigh on my kitchen scales

Original handle = 57g
Head = 30g
Total = 87g

New handle = 50g
Total = 80g

Last edited:
I’m going to say the Colonial Silversmith. It’s the razor I reach for when I want a guaranteed drama free shave. It’s practically impossible to nick/irritate myself with it regardless of which blade I use. Very efficient as well. Head-shaver here for reference.

It's a wonderful razor. Where did you hear about the Al Tatara? I ordered the new short handle which should bring the weight down slightly (50g according to the email).

Just did a quick weigh on my kitchen scales

Original handle = 57g
Head = 30g
Total = 87g

New handle = 50g
Total = 80g

I think I read about the Alu Tatara somewhere in here at BB, or prolly in another forum... Just a rumor so far, but no harm in keeping my fingers crossed, right?

Thank you for the specs. Hmm... This razor could work very well for me, as 90g seems to be my magic number.

My heaviest razor is the Rocwell 6C at around 100g. I find it a tad heavier than I'd like but my main issue with it is the size of it's head (too tall!). I have a strong preference for flat headed razors, much easier to maneuver around tight spots. My lightest is an Alu ATT Calypso at 40g I believe? Sometimes I wonder is that one is not "too" light, but I really enjoy the little guy!

Thank you very much for you post!

Check out the Feather Popular. It can go for as low as $9 on Amazon Prime. It's the mildest razor I own. Also, see if you can get your hands on a Schick Krona.

From what I've read, I think that razor might be just a bit "too" mild for me...

Recently I've been wondering if I haven't been sacrificing maybe a little bit too much comfort and “shaving enjoyment” (if there is such a thing) looking for the most efficient razor that will sure give a damn close shave in the least amount of time, passes and touch-ups… The most comfortable shave? Maybe not, definitively not… But not too bad neither…

Recently I’ve begun to wonder, do I really want the closest shave or the most comfortable one? Do I really need to make a compromise in here? Could it be that I can get, oh, say 90-95% of both, closeness and comfort? Which is the reason that pushed me to start this thread.

The only good thing about getting old… You start to take better care of yourself!

You know, you may be absolutely right… For $9 bucks I think this razor is very well worth a try (with Feather blades from what I’ve read). Thank you very much for your recommendation!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
From what I've read, I think that razor might be just a bit "too" mild for me...

Recently I've been wondering if I haven't been sacrificing maybe a little bit too much comfort and “shaving enjoyment” (if there is such a thing) looking for the most efficient razor that will sure give a damn close shave in the least amount of time, passes and touch-ups… The most comfortable shave? Maybe not, definitively not… But not too bad neither…

Recently I’ve begun to wonder, do I really want the closest shave or the most comfortable one? Do I really need to make a compromise in here? Could it be that I can get, oh, say 90-95% of both, closeness and comfort? Which is the reason that pushed me to start this thread.

The only good thing about getting old… You start to take better care of yourself!

You know, you may be absolutely right… For $9 bucks I think this razor is very well worth a try (with Feather blades from what I’ve read). Thank you very much for your recommendation!

If you are willing to take a walk on the Single Edge side, grab a GEM Featherweight Deluxe.

Shaved with mine yesterday afternoon and got a 4-pass (WTG/XTG/XTG/ATG with minor touch-ups) ZERO nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation, "Bride Approved" BBS that is still a CCS+ after >12 hours.
shave 20200425.jpg

Readily available and not expensive. :)

YMMV :)

I think I read about the Alu Tatara somewhere in here at BB, or prolly in another forum... Just a rumor so far, but no harm in keeping my fingers crossed, right?

I know from talking to Tatara that prototypes were made in a variety of metals for testing... but so far none have made to market. I was asking about a Titanium razor but ultimately they can't see a Ti Tatara selling well. Bear in mind, I've asked about a shorter handle for a while... to be told they aren't interested in manufacturing one and now I have one on the way! So you never know.

I have a strong preference for flat headed razors, much easier to maneuver around tight spots. My lightest is an Alu ATT Calypso at 40g I believe? Sometimes I wonder is that one is not "too" light, but I really enjoy the little guy!

I'm with you on that. I'm only interested in razors with small profiles now and have sold my larger razors (Timeless, Karve etc). I like the Calypso but do prefer a head with better blade support like the Tatara.

Top Bottom