What's new

Geo F. Trumper says NEVER to shave ATG - Whaaat???

It always amuses me when someone claims that shaving atg without irritation is merely a matter of prep and technique. If there is one thing that has been proven to be true on this forum, countless times throughout the years, it is that *Your Mileage May Vary*. Different skin types tolerate, or don't tolerate atg passes in widely varying ways. I do a four pass shave every day without irritation. Others can only tolerate a one pass shave every other day. And there are endless variations in between. It is not a matter of technique, it is a matter of what your skin and beard type will endure. My four pass BBS is not one iota Superior to someone else's one pass DFS. I do not have better technique. I have very highly developed technique that allows me to get the maximum benefit my face will accept. That is all anyone wants, and ultimately what matters is that someone is getting the best possible shave without irritation or ingrowns, in the most fulfilling way possible. If someone is getting a one pass DFS, without irritation or ingrowns, then they have maximized their prep and technique, and it is mere ungentlemanly elitism to suggest otherwise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It always amuses me when someone claims that shaving atg without irritation is merely a matter of prep and technique. If there is one thing that has been proven to be true on this forum, countless times throughout the years, it is that *Your Mileage May Vary*. Different skin types tolerate, or don't tolerate atg passes in widely varying ways. I do a four pass shave every day without irritation. Others can only tolerate a one pass shave every other day. And there are endless variations in between. It is not a matter of technique, it is a matter of what your skin and beard type will endure. My four pass BBS is not one iota Superior to someone else's one pass DFS. I do not have better technique. I have very highly developed technique that allows me to get the maximum benefit my face will accept. That is all anyone wants, and ultimately what matters is that someone is getting the best possible shave without irritation or ingrowns, in the most fulfilling way possible. If someone is getting a one pass DFS, without irritation or ingrowns, then they have maximized their prep and technique, and it is mere ungentlemanly elitism to suggest otherwise.

Indeed YMMV.

Boy, you take this too personal, relax. 😆

Have a great shave - have a great day.

This is just corporate weasel behavior. They're afraid if you shave ATG and get ingrown hairs or irritation, you'll flood their email box with complaints and not buy their stuff, which I don't .
Yes. Imagine P&G advertising the old Gillette slide today.

I can get a dfs shave without going atg, but I cannot imagine getting there by only going wtg. XTG is where the magic is at.

There are 3 points I disagree with:

Only use hot water. I get closer and more comfortable shaves using cool water.

Brush in a circular motion. I believe "back and forth" is just as effective. It's also easier for me.

Never shave ATG. Never? I believe an ATG third pass is fine, even necessary if you have coarse whiskers. But care and a light hand may be needed. I've done an ATG final pass daily since 1954 and never experienced any difficulty.

I only do one ATG pass. My face cannot handle more than one pass and I need to go ATG to get a BBS/DFS shave. So, YMMV is very true indeed.

Some dermatologists will recommend not doing ATG, particularly if you have sensitive skin or are prone to ingrown hairs & irritation. Some also recommend against doing multiple passes.

Key word there for me is "general" shaving tips.
I will always remember reading in GQ a letter from a dermatologist wrote about triple pass shaving and I was astonished. He said pass three was mostly for exfoliation and was what kept the skin healthy. I his recomendation was to go with. But I do second passes Across TG. My skin is sensitive I can't do a third pass

Although I routinely shave ATG with most shave soaps, I would never shave ATG when using Trumper cream. I guess they realize their products are not up to the task.

Great point! I routinely go ATG. I also find Trumper soaps sub-par. But that’s me.

As @BudgetShaverGuy says, you've got it bang on here.

But to go back to the OP, I think the majority of barbers would recommend only shaving with the grain. Of course, everyone can do as they wish, but there must be a reason for the consensus amongst professionals, beyond liability for in-growns or razor rash.

This is simply incorrect. Whether or not someone is able to shave against the grain is a matter of skin and beard type. No prep or technique will counteract a skin that is too sensitive for an ATG pass.

when i first started, i had problems with ATG but i kept at it and my skin got use to it. now with better technique and prep, i shave ATG with no issues. my beard is on the thicker side too.
beard.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
There's an old quote which goes something along the lines of "rules exist for the benefit of those who cannot determine right and wrong for themselves". I cannot remember who is supposed to have said it, or what context it was meant in.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well gents, you're all about 120 years too late for this rabb...I mean...debate.

The original instructions that came with my Gem Junior Bar lather catcher say to only shave WTG. If that's not good enough for you, the instructions suggest lathering up again and shaving WTG again.

Everything old is new again.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
That's the only proper instruction to be given that works for anyone and everyone. That is the point of the instruction. Case closed!

It's always so empowering to meet another reasonable person!

I feel a bit like King Canute. I'm sure whatever technology we shave with 120 years from now, they'll still be having that discussion. Gives us something to put on the internet.

O.H.

I have seen a number of guides referring to shaving with the grain only on the basis that against the grain may cause razor burn, irritation or ingrowing hair. It seems to be generic advice, put out by brush manufacturers too. When rushing through a shave, good preparation was not foremost on the mind so it made sense. Also a single pass was often considered adequate in early 20th century and hence ideal for the multi blade cartridge to be developed.

Although I routinely shave ATG with most shave soaps, I would never shave ATG when using Trumper cream. I guess they realize their products are not up to the task.
I think you might be right on this one. Thats my experience with the one I have and will never buy another.:eek2::straight:

This is simply incorrect. Whether or not someone is able to shave against the grain is a matter of skin and beard type. No prep or technique will counteract a skin that is too sensitive for an ATG pass.
Nope, on the contrary. It is the prep and the technique.

Naturally, I won't dispute that if someone has a medical condition, not allowing for a certain procedure, it is a totally different ball game altogether. That said, for a guy with a normal, healthy skin, even a sensitive skin, there is absolutely no reason why he should not be able to do the ATG. Prep, Technique and off course sharpest of the blades will cut any hair w/o irritation.

You want to trust the product or you want to use the product?

BBS is overrated and you are doing it wrong all the way.
You have poor understanding of this business.
Neither, my Qs was a rhetorical one. Been shaving for 30+ years.

Top Bottom