What's new

Geo F. Trumper says NEVER to shave ATG - Whaaat???

I was just browsing through the GFT website and could hardly believe, when I saw this:

Are we really all fools, when we do the "fool's pass"? 🤔

1589121973406.png

1589122076320.png

Some people’s beard simply cannot handle ATG shaving. GFT are playing it safe by instructing others to shave WTG ONLY, which is way safer for the general public. Also, the blade type was not specified. Multi-blade carts are made for a super close shave WTG.

If you can go ATG all the power to you and it’s your face, do whatever!

Multi-blade carts are made for a super close shave WTG.

If you can go ATG all the power to you and it’s your face, do whatever!

Give me a break pls. I am yet to see anyone older than 16 get a BBS with a cartridge razor. It might be great for shaving female legs, but not my face lol 😂 😂

I do go ATG on my upper lip and have no problem, smooth as silk... like anything else it's the matter of good face prep and proper technique, nothing else.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I’ve never had the problem, but could it be because shaving against the grain can potentially cause ingrown hairs? I’m not familiar enough with the physiology of ingrown hairs to know for sure.

Personally I am quite happy with the quality of my shave after going with and across the grain, but go against the grain just to give myself something to do :)

Edit: just saw in the small text, GFT states that going against the grain can potentially cause ingrown hairs. Never mind!

Last edited:
This is just corporate weasel behavior. They're afraid if you shave ATG and get ingrown hairs or irritation, you'll flood their email box with complaints and not buy their stuff, which I don't .

Hmm.. I used to feel that way as I thought I had particularly sensitive skin and even doing the 3 pass wtg + xtg + xtg shaving directions as recommended always gave me irritation and soreness in a few hot spot areas around my neck and just below the sides of my mouth.

I didn't think my skin could cope with atg but it was only after I tried going wtg + atg with my fatip piccolo (I use it with a very steep angle for better control of aggression and feedback) that I got BBS and little to no irritation, even with feathers, derby extras and astra sp blades. I can get a good shave with a de89 but not even close to the Fatip level of comfort or closeness.

So although I started with the mentality that a 'real shave' should leave you BBS I learned that that's not true nor anywhere near as important as a comfortable DFS. However since learning my razor and blades better I go for a full BBS wtg + atg with a quick touch up on the tricky areas and I do this every other day and it's more comfortable, more efficient and better for my skin than the standard 3 passes I tried for so many years.

Customers pay good money to have a shave at Trumpers in London. They want their customers to come back to them for another shave, without any complaints, hence they proceed to shave them cautiously. Note they use hot towels for maximum exfoliation which to some extent compensates for not shaving ATG in giving them a close shave, but it won't be BBS

Consequently, as a company Trumper's practise what they preach

Last edited:
Although I routinely shave ATG with most shave soaps, I would never shave ATG when using Trumper cream. I guess they realize their products are not up to the task.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Although I routinely shave ATG with most shave soaps, I would never shave ATG when using Trumper cream. I guess they realize their products are not up to the task.

Remind me not to buy them.

Not that I was going to anyway.

This is just corporate weasel behavior. They're afraid if you shave ATG and get ingrown hairs or irritation, you'll flood their email box with complaints and not buy their stuff, which I don't.

1589126179315.png

Suit yourself, right.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So, I started shaving with a Schick L1 in the years before cartridges. My Father shaved with a Schick J1, which I still own, and my Grandfather used a straight, which I still own. They taught me how to shave. It was always with and then against the grain and if you wanted the “Sunday go to Meeting” shave, you then added across the grain. That is how I shave and it works for me. As always, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been shaving against the grain since1964, when I switched from the electric my parents gave me in high school to a Schick Injector in college. Around 1973, I started 30+ years of carts. I can't remember if I had a problem with ingrown hairs using that injector (I was using canned foam I so probably had them), but with carts I was always digging in my face with tweezers and plucking them out. In using a DE for almost 11 years, I hardly ever get an ingrown hair unless the blade is dull, which is why I toss most DE blades after 2.

Truefitt and Hill also says not to go ATG and puts more of an explanation to it.

I do love going ATG but there is truth to the statement your face loves you when you don’t. 11am shadow is worth it ;)

Some dermatologists will recommend not doing ATG, particularly if you have sensitive skin or are prone to ingrown hairs & irritation. Some also recommend against doing multiple passes.

Key word there for me is "general" shaving tips.

Top Bottom