What's new

Geo F. Trumper says NEVER to shave ATG - Whaaat???

Daily shaving does not play well for me if I do an ATG. I have a friend however that must have some really amazingly strong skin, because when he is shaving he is attacking his face like if he was in a sword fight. He only lather his face once and then start shaving from all angels fast and furious. It is always over within a minute. He says he never get sore skin. I have to apply some balm on my self after just watching him. He does not shave every day, but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My Grandfather was a Barber by trade and he was taught to never shave ATG. My father his son has never shaved ATG. He does 3 passes WTG, and 2 XTG nose to ear and ear to nose. I have always shaved ATG. Just do what works for you. Now my Grandfather passed away 30 plus years ago so times my have changed but he used to shave clients/customers with a Straight Razor. In his later years he used a Gillette Tech on himself, which I have and use from time to time.

My Grandfather was a Barber by trade and he was taught to never shave ATG. My father his son has never shaved ATG. He does 3 passes WTG, and 2 XTG nose to ear and ear to nose. I have always shaved ATG. Just do what works for you. Now my Grandfather passed away 30 plus years ago so times my have changed but he used to shave clients/customers with a Straight Razor. In his later years he used a Gillette Tech on himself, which I have and use from time to time.

This is such a wonderful example and proves that what works for one guy, not necessarily works for another and vice versa.

Also, it depends what the objective is. I can totally understand if someone is a daily shaver and has to do it every morning in a hurry, a DFS / SAS will do for most.

OTOH, if you're an evening shaver, a BBS is what you're after every time, as you don't want to have that 5 o'clock shade at 8am.

All that being said, IMHO only ATG pass will give you the BBS and the closest of a shave possible, because when you do the ATG with your skin stretched, your cut against the hair is the deepest.

Off course, as I'm not a barber I can speak for my self (my face) only, but even if I do 10 WTG/XTG passes, there is always stubble I feel under my fingertips. The only way I get a that smooth, buttery, silky BBS feel is when I go ATG, be it on the neck, cheek, jaw line, chin or upper lip. No amount of non-ATG passes could ever give me a BBS.

Nope, on the contrary. It is the prep and the technique.

Naturally, I won't dispute that if someone has a medical condition, not allowing for a certain procedure, it is a totally different ball game altogether. That said, for a guy with a normal, healthy skin, even a sensitive skin, there is absolutely no reason why he should not be able to do the ATG. Prep, Technique and off course sharpest of the blades will cut any hair w/o irritation.

Again incorrect and borderline nonsense. You are applying your situation to the entirety of males shaving. You cannot possibly know what another mans skin/beard situation might tolerate, certainly not on a day by day basis. Add to that that there certainly is no common ground on what ideal prep is (some folks do well with pre shave oil for instance, others get poor results) and who said that sharpest blades is the way to go? If that were the case, everyone should only use Feather blades. But the reality is you will find a pleathora of shavers who have their technique down perfectly and still like using blades in the medium sharpness range or maybe even "duller/smoother" ones. Because again, everyone has different needs.

It is nice for you that you apparently can do so, but don't generalize your situation onto everyone else.

Again incorrect and borderline nonsense. You are applying your situation to the entirety of males shaving. You cannot possibly know what another mans skin/beard situation might tolerate, certainly not on a day by day basis. Add to that that there certainly is no common ground on what ideal prep is (some folks do well with pre shave oil for instance, others get poor results) and who said that sharpest blades is the way to go? If that were the case, everyone should only use Feather blades. But the reality is you will find a pleathora of shavers who have their technique down perfectly and still like using blades in the medium sharpness range or maybe even "duller/smoother" ones. Because again, everyone has different needs.

It is nice for you that you apparently can do so, but don't generalize your situation onto everyone else.
It is always advisable to avoid being judgmental and take it personally. I tend to (try to) stick to that.

I don't express my opinion saying other persons point of view is "nonsense" (even if it is). It's called grown-up, gentlemanly discussion style. You can discredit an idiot without calling him an idiot.

I'll conclude that arguing with a fool makes two, so I won't push this any further.

Have a great shave - have a great day :)

Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes. Imagine P&G advertising the old Gillette slide today.

I can get a dfs shave without going atg, but I cannot imagine getting there by only going wtg. XTG is where the magic is at.
It's not possible to get a BBS without shaving ATG. It's simple; without ATG there still will be some stubble left. Then again there might be several definitions of BBS, one including a baby with very hairy buttocks.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It's not possible to get a BBS without shaving ATG. It's simple; without ATG there still will be some stubble left. Then again there might be several definitions of BBS, one including a baby with very hairy buttocks.
I did it once - out of how many thousands of shaves I wonder.

Thank you!

Top Bottom