What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Took the Agent 2 out today with the intention of not hitting anything! :lol: Working on getting used to the RMR so I cut the -0 zone out of an IDPA target and set it at 25 yards. Idea was to press the gun out as fast a possible and take a shot with the dot in the "hole". If I couldn't see the dot when I presented I took the shot anyways to see where it was going so I could correct. There were several holes in the cardboard but not as many as I expected. Long way to go but I am feeling more confident with this new fangled sight! :thumbsup:

Took the Agent 2 out today with the intention of not hitting anything! :lol: Working on getting used to the RMR so I cut the -0 zone out of an IDPA target and set it at 25 yards. Idea was to press the gun out as fast a possible and take a shot with the dot in the "hole". If I couldn't see the dot when I presented I took the shot anyways to see where it was going so I could correct. There were several holes in the cardboard but not as many as I expected. Long way to go but I am feeling more confident with this new fangled sight! :thumbsup:

25 yds is a long way for a pistol while being accurate.
I can hit the paper but I'm a long way from the 6" groups of 10yds.

nikonNUT

Just trying to make things tough :) I think the the "-0" ring on a standard IDPA target is 8"? I might be asking too much but it seems like a good drill? I also have to confess that I was shooting closer to 20 yards... Wanted to re-zero with my carry ammo and when I ranged the back stop and moved the table to 25 yards I was dang near out in the parking lot! :lol:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

As long as you work on trying to get better, you will. Dry fire drills, presentation drills, working on your trigger control, etc. are simple, but crucial, things that you can practice at home. I can't remember if I heard it from one of the guys on here, a YouTuber, or one of the guys at my range, but it was something along the lines of, "Practice is something you do at home. The range is to see how effective your practice has been."

As long as you work on trying to get better, you will. Dry fire drills, presentation drills, working on your trigger control, etc. are simple, but crucial, things that you can practice at home. I can't remember if I heard it from one of the guys on here, a YouTuber, or one of the guys at my range, but it was something along the lines of, "Practice is something you do at home. The range is to see how effective your practice has been."

This is true.
I have done some dry fire experimenting at home to watch the follow through and practice the pull without moving the sight picture.
Still, at 25 yds the slightest movement at the barrel is large movement at the other end.
Once I'm hitting consistent 6" groups at 10yds (a few visits in a row) I'll start moving it back some until I'm in the 20-25 yd range.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Still, at 25 yds the slightest movement at the barrel is large movement at the other end.
Once I'm hitting consistent 6" groups at 10yds (a few visits in a row) I'll start moving it back some until I'm in the 20-25 yd range.

Keep in mind what your objective is in terms of goals and practicality. Honestly, I can't imagine many scenarios where a civilian would need to take a 25 yard shot with a handgun. My local indoor range only goes to 17 yards. I rarely practice shooting past 10 yards. My concern is not being a competitive shooter though. My concern is self defense.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Keep in mind what your objective is in terms of goals and practicality. Honestly, I can't imagine many scenarios where a civilian would need to take a 25 yard shot with a handgun. My local indoor range only goes to 17 yards. I rarely practice shooting past 10 yards. My concern is not being a competitive shooter though. My concern is self defense.
Yep- even 10 yards is stretching it. About 10-15 feet is where most action will take place.

nikonNUT

I'm not saying I plan on taking a shot at 25 yards (good skill if there is an active shooter situation but I digress) as that is negligent and legally undefensable but while I learn the RMR and to "embrace the wobble" 25 yards will magnify issues quickly! When I dry fire (no trigger press) I'm working at 6 feet in my spare room bring the dot to bear on a 3/4" dot I stuck to the wall. I'm guessing 80 percent of the time the dot doesn't even come into play as things are close up and ugly and shooting from retention might be the skill needed... Still I want to be proficient in all aspects. Long range rifle work isn't gonna be common either but if I can be proficent at 600 yards then 100 to 200 is all the easier (maybe...).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'm not saying I plan on taking a shot at 25 yards (good skill if there is an active shooter situation but I digress) as that is negligent and legally undefensable but while I learn the RMR and to "embrace the wobble" 25 yards will magnify issues quickly! When I dry fire (no trigger press) I'm working at 6 feet in my spare room bring the dot to bear on a 3/4" dot I stuck to the wall. I'm guessing 80 percent of the time the dot doesn't even come into play as things are close up and ugly and shooting from retention might be the skill needed... Still I want to be proficient in all aspects. Long range rifle work isn't gonna be common either but if I can be proficent at 600 yards then 100 to 200 is all the easier (maybe...).

Good post and agreed. Speed and movement to 10. Slow and purposeful @25. But I absolutely rock at 15. :)

Yep, that's my main reason for sticking to 10 yds and getting proficient at that.
I may eventually branch into competing where 25 yds may come into play.
If I can only be VERY effective at 10yds. that's plenty. I'm pretty happy to shoot well at that distance.:)

nikonNUT

Took the TriARC out to re-check zero. Sig seemed a bit confused as to torque specs. One CS rep said 65 in/lb. The owners manual and the catalog said 85 in/lb. Finally got a strait answer when CS rep # 2 connected me to an engineer... "We were saying 65 but the optic was losing zero after 5000 rounds so we upped it to 85". Anyways! Busted out the torque wrench, tighted that sucker to spec, and 15 shots at 50 yards...
TriARC group.jpg

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Took the TriARC out to re-check zero. Sig seemed a bit confused as to torque specs. One CS rep said 65 in/lb. The owners manual and the catalog said 85 in/lb. Finally got a strait answer when CS rep # 2 connected me to an engineer... "We were saying 65 but the optic was losing zero after 5000 rounds so we upped it to 85". Anyways! Busted out the torque wrench, tighted that sucker to spec, and 15 shots at 50 yards...
View attachment 1079837

Holy moly! Unrested?

OkieStubble

Vicker's Blue Line sling cinched up tight to lock the gun in (old high power trick) but no bench or bag. And definitely not rapid fire!

3 pairs touching each other at 50 while standing unsupported is pretty darn good with a full size AR, much less a pistol with an arm brace.

Definitely a nice set up you have. Probably will be acquiring my own AR pistol soon. I get to carry a dept. SBR at work, but after seeing so many nice ones on here, I think I want my own. :)

I belong to a couple of private clubs. We easily do the 6 ft thing on any of our ranges. As far as the clays go, some are voice activated to throw. On the ones that have a remote to throw, we just have one guy pull birds and don't pass the remote around.

We don't go in the clubhouses and hangout. We stay outside and socialize from afar.

I go to one club or another every day. Other than a planned get together for clay's, I rarely see another shooter. I can shoot rifle or pistol by myself on most visits.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My range had just become accessible from receding flood waters when the Governor's "Stay at home " order went into effect , so the range is closed until April 13th at least. Can't win for losing!

Top Bottom