What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Those arent mine. Mine have a cracked glass over the dial. At least they havent yet migrated to Cali lol.
Found 'em in my toolbox downstairs! Lol
20200325_132436.jpg
20200325_132703[1].jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night‘s shave:
FaTip Grande
Personna Med Prep (1)
Gentleman Jon's badger brush
Shot of Aveeno Therapeutic/5 drops glycerin
Equate Moisture Advanced Care Body Lotion

Hello Grande, my old friend
Watch me mess it up, again
Shallow ATG with such gentle glides
Alum block informed me it was all lies
Even though I barely felt the blade
I scraped myself real good
As best I could
To the sounds of crunch crunch

And though the stubble left all spots
It’s poking back sooner than not
As though it only fears the Proline most acute
There‘s no dispute
It’s king of stubble violence

As newbsome as that sad attempt at a DCS was, at least I remembered shave first, then drink tequila. Tonight will be one or two steep passes with the FaTip Grande so that I’ll at least have the comfort of its comb if nothing else.

Also, were any Mitutoyo calipers recovered in Ontario province? Also, also thank you, tablet autocomplete, for wanting to say “Proline” as I typed “province.”

thombrogan

Also, also, also page 4 is my favorite because of all those E2 glamour shots.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hello Grande, my old friend
Watch me mess it up, again
Shallow ATG with such gentle glides
Alum block informed me it was all lies
Even though I barely felt the blade
I scraped myself real good
As best I could
To the sounds of crunch crunch

And though the stubble left all spots
It’s poking back sooner than not
As though it only fears the Proline most acute
There‘s no dispute
It’s king of stubble violence

one-flew-over-2.jpg

Also, were any Mitutoyo calipers recovered in Ontario province?

I will attempt a spelunking expedition into the basement and fight my way through the spiders and webs on my reloading bench to find out as soon as I manage to set fixed ropes for the descent as a reminder.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
ya gotta admit the Willy 'N Ethel comic is funny!

While also being something I've actually been told. Now thats funny lol.

Contrary to the belief of, mostly likely everyone lol, I'm actually very much 'the quiet type' in real life. Many people assume those that are quiet may be lacking in certain areas. Thats a mistake lol.

thombrogan

Last night‘s shave:
FaTip Grande
Personna Med Prep (2)
Gentleman Jon's badger brush
Bourbon-scented Cremogena Plus
Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm

Two steep, ATG passes mostly fully length and a little cleanup on the neck and right sideburn. Blade exposure controlled with gentle pivots on the comb. Stubbly most places and smooth on right sideburn and section of neck where wiry hairs usually hide.

The unexpected sting of the alum block said my Grande skills diminished while trying to get better with the RazoRock BlackHawk V2. Will see what next shave brings. Missing wide blade of Hawk V2 on tops of sideburns already.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The unexpected sting of the alum block said my Grande skills diminished while trying to get better with the RazoRock BlackHawk V2.

The Blackhawk is a more gentle teacher.
Pretty-teacher-smiling elkgroveins com.jpg

The Fatip is a bit more firm in giving lessons.
mean-nun.jpg

Only you can decide which is the better teacher. I had Nuns my first 5 years of school lol.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave:
Pre-shave: Alberto VO5 Extra-Volume conditioner
RazoRock BlackHawk V2
Schick Proline P-30 (23?)
Alberto VO5 Extra-Volume conditioner applied by hand
Nivea Sensitive Aftershave balm

”I shudder to think of the consequence
It’s blasphemy simple and true” ~Lamb of God

First pass shallow WTG. No buffing. Barely any reduction compared to steep WTG buffing with Grande in the past

Second pass shallow ATG. Lots of buffing and going back to make sure most areas were “clear.”

Conditioner provided a protective slickness I haven’t even received from Cremogena Plus. Felt comfortable the entire time. Never planted the blade once.

Rinsed off with cold water and then started feeling the price of my excesses. Alum stung me to reality

BBS with less visible razor burn than normal.

Further tries needed. With all the razors

@Esox, have you found your calipers yet?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The mission was a success, unfortunately, it turned from a rescue to a recovery.

IMG_3246.JPG

The dial is dead. It was a good soldier with a distinguished near 40 year career.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The dial is dead
Sometimes the rack just needs a little fiddling with. There are several ways to manipulate it with bobby pins and such. Mine came with instructions and a special tool, long ago lost. I bought mine in 1975 from Pacific Industrial, Santa Anna, CA. I believe they are still in business!
Mitutoyo Fix

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
maxresdefault.jpg

Sometimes the rack just needs a little fiddling with. There are several ways to manipulate it with bobby pins and such. Mine came with instructions and a special tool, long ago lost. I bought mine in 1975 from Pacific Industrial, Santa Anna, CA. I believe they are still in business!
Mitutoyo Fix

I've had it apart. The needle just spins. Theres something broken inside the dial case. I found them but I didnt find the case they should have been in, not a good sign. No idea what happened to them.

I called two tool stores here in town. They're suppose to be open according to business hours, but no answer at either one.

Not sure I want to drop $200+ on Mitu digis, but this one looks promising.

Amazon.com: iGaging ABSOLUTE ORIGIN 0-6" Digital Electronic Caliper Inch/Metric/Fraction IP54 Protection Bonus: Depth Gauge Base: Home Improvement - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDUD67G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=net0ac-20&linkId=c7565fd2a624fe9dcf4c0a26ede5f34a

Screenshot_2020-03-28 Amazon com iGaging ABSOLUTE ORIGIN 0-6 Digital Electronic Caliper Inch M...png

They seem to compare to Mitu's pretty well.

There are no sellers that ship that tool to Canukistan and I'm sold on the fraction display. Why do they make it so difficult to spend my money! Just take it! lol

5f4847a1ba6f7f0268b47310bf49db73.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Not sure I want to drop $200+ on Mitu digis, but this one looks promising.
I found the receipt on mine, 8/29/1979, $63.50. That was a lot of $$$ in those days. Mitutoyo and Fowler is all we used at work, for around the house and garage I wouldn't waste that kind of cash, Harbor Frieght has 'em for as little as $19.99......Pittsburgh Calipers , $9.99 for composite.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I found the receipt on mine, 8/29/1979, $63.50. That was a lot of $$$ in those days. Mitutoyo and Fowler is all we used at work, for around the house and garage I wouldn't waste that kind of cash, Harbor Frieght has 'em for as little as $19.99......Pittsburgh Calipers , $9.99 for composite.

Those really cheap ones cant be relied on for repeatable accuracy. He shows a good example of that in the video above and it would drive me crazy. They also need some work. They need to come apart and worked on a stone to make them square and smooth. There are a few vids around the net about that.

The igaging seem to work as well as the Mitu's for less than half the price. I would only use them seriously for reloading and an accurate tool is critical. They cheap ones would aggravate me no end lol.

The most respected tool store here in town has Wiha composites that are made in Germany, but reading a few quick reviews has shown variances in jaw surfaces as well as them being a bit wiggly. Measuring sharp case necks would quickly wear composite jaws I think.

Bottom line for me is, I dont like "cheap", especially when it comes to tools. Buy it right, buy it once. Or twice, every 40 years lol.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Bottom line for me is, I dont like "cheap", especially when it comes to tools. Buy it right, buy it once. Or twice, every 40 years lol.
I can tell you that Mitutoyo digital calipers were all that we used at work, the waterproof ones to protect the innards from cutting fluids. They would last an easy 20-30 years under heavy everyday use, and regular 6 month calibration. I wasn't sure what you were using them for, I bought all my inspection stuff for work, so they are all top quality$$$$. The Interapid test indicators I payed $95 for in the 1980's now cost $300............My thread mic's were $350 with 2 sets of measuring tips, now well over $1000. I have a Last Word dial indicator from my Grandfather with a patent date of 1915, still works fine.
I am starting to think that my Gerstner toolbox might be great display case for my razors............ I will certainly never use it for work again...........
I have been looking at 9" x 12" class A surface plates, but the shipping costs as much as the rocks themselves. Lucky for me, Standridge is only 40 miles away......... I will just pick one up at the factory.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I can tell you that Mitutoyo digital calipers were all that we used at work, the waterproof ones to protect the innards from cutting fluids. They would last an easy 20-30 years under heavy everyday use, and regular 6 month calibration. I wasn't sure what you were using them for, I bought all my inspection stuff for work, so they are all top quality$$$$. The Interapid test indicators I payed $95 for in the 1980's now cost $300............My thread mic's were $350 with 2 sets of measuring tips, now well over $1000. I have a Last Word dial indicator from my Grandfather with a patent date of 1915, still works fine.
I am starting to think that my Gerstner toolbox might be great display case for my razors............ I will certainly never use it for work again...........
I have been looking at 9" x 12" class A surface plates, but the shipping costs as much as the rocks themselves. Lucky for me, Standridge is only 40 miles away......... I will just pick one up at the factory.

Ordered.

$98CAD all in. If they're as good as I think they are judging by that vid, I'll be happy enough with them. If not, I've wasted more on worse but it set my gold SE 1 back a step...

Last edited:
Top Bottom