What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Sticky sharp is good, as long as its treated with the proper respect.

On knives, I have no problems. On razors, I’m humbled at the outset.

In that case, perhaps the SE2 is for you! lol

If Koenigsegg made razors, they’d probably use carbon fiber.

I have 220GB of the original Top Gear in my external drive. All 22 seasons and all specials and extras. Great show!

It is. It’s also added extra enjoyment when I spot Michael Gambon in a movie.

I like efficiency. The MMOC satisfies that so I dont feel I need more. I might like 'nicer' though. The MMOC is a utilitarian tool that looks, feels and acts like it was made by old school Soviets lol. It aint pretty but it works.

Most of the pics of MMOCs on Etsy and eBay look luxurious. Efficiency points towards both an SE2 and stropping a Proline P-30 edge down to 25 nanometers. The closest I‘ve got at home is 0.3 micrometer AlOx lapping film, but the finish from AlOx is more of a rough burnish than CBN or polycrystalline diamond.

The only thing I refuse to even tolerate from a blade is harshness. If they're smoother than a PTFE the first shave, I'm in. I'm confident they will be.

With a series of wet dry papers over glass and sub-micron polycrystalline diamond or CBN over whichever substrate hosts them best, no edge need ever feel harsh to you again.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If Koenigsegg made razors, they’d probably use carbon fiber.

Now you've voiced it, it might just happen!

It is. It’s also added extra enjoyment when I spot Michael Gambon in a movie.

No one else had a corner named after them. Although Tom Cruise came close haha.

Most of the pics of MMOCs on Etsy and eBay look luxurious. Efficiency points towards both an SE2 and stropping a Proline P-30 edge down to 25 nanometers. The closest I‘ve got at home is 0.3 micrometer AlOx lapping film, but the finish from AlOx is more of a rough burnish than CBN or polycrystalline diamond.

That just reminded me. I need to have another look for my Mito calipers that wandered away when I wasnt looking.

With a series of wet dry papers over glass and sub-micron polycrystalline diamond or CBN over whichever substrate hosts them best, no edge need ever feel harsh to you again.

I have one problem with that. A lack of enthusiasm lol.

thombrogan

No one else had a corner named after them. Although Tom Cruise came close haha.

I’d rather watch Gambon’s movies, so I’m glad his is the only named corner.

That just reminded me. I need to have another look for my Mito calipers that wandered away when I wasnt looking.

Here‘s hoping the shop elves return it in proper working condition.

I have one problem with that. A lack of enthusiasm lol.

That‘s the opposite of a problem. It only gets worse from there.

but it'll be itchy the next day if I do things like look down or perspire.

I've only gotten itchy face with blades that are not on the sharp end of the spectrum out of the wrapper.

For instance, a Sharp SS will get me BBS results but it doesn't cut my stubble clean. It will sharpen my stubble and when my stubble grows back, it feels like my face is being stabbed by little needles all over from the inside for about an hour or so.

I have experimented with these not so sharp blades and found I didn't get itchy face with them in not so efficient razors that barely produces BBS.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's the lack of sharpness of the blade or the bevel angle of the blade. Itchy face only happened with a few blades.

I've used other blades until they were down right dull and didn't get itchy face, so I don't know what's up with those blades.

thombrogan

Last night's shave:
RazoRock BlackHawk V2
Schick Proline P-30 (? +6)
Gentleman Jon's badger brush
Snurdle of KMF/shot of Aveeno Therapeutic/5 drops glycerin

A little more water added to the überlather. Brush had a little scritch returned.

First pass, steep ATG. No muss, no fuss. Results are what I wish happened on a non-buffing first WTG pass.

Second pass, shallow ATG. Felt better than Saturday night’s pass.

Third pass, shallow ATG semi-buffing clean up. Could feel the failure even before the alum. Alum said it wasn’t as bad as anticipated.

Getting myself to stop after pass one or two harder than anticipated. Will see if I can stop at pass two tonight.

thombrogan

Last night's shave:
RazoRock BlackHawk V2
Schick Proline P-30 (? +7)
Reduced sized snurdle of KMF/reduced sized shot of Aveeno Therapeutic/5 drops glycerin

In leaving out my Nivea Sensitive After shave balm, I realize it hasn't been listed in the involved hardware catalog.

Also; from Sunday night's shave; the area between my Adam's apple and edge of chin was BBS for close to 17 hours.

Achieved a milestone of restraint last night while simultaneously making it meaningless.

1 and 3/4 passes almost all shallow. A bit steep for edge of jawline, but only really needed bottom of sideburns areas.

So how I ruined it:

•Even though I searched for; and sometimes found; the sweet spot where seemingly bladeless cutting is found, I also shaved away at an all-blade all scraping shallow angle moreso.
•Post-shave was blast of cold water, alum, penance, and cold water rinse. Skipped balm after last rinse.

Dermatological failz0rz; educational victory

Don't know if the balm would made last night/this morning feel any better, but having the old neurons go out of their way to say "and this is why Esox's passages about shaving shallow without feeling the blade were so important!"

Don't know if balm will remain disarmed or return, but it'll be listed if it returns.

Like any form of quasi-practical enlightenment, it's annoying to know I can do this, but I'm just not good enough yet. Less annoying now that the missing component is less abstract.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
it's annoying to know I can do this, but I'm just not good enough yet.

The more blade exposure a razor has, the easier it is to achieve a very shallow angle. This is why I had a patchy BBS finish with my NEW SC. I didnt stray steep when shaving like that, but because it has little blade exposure, that very fine line is difficult to maintain.

My Grande is far easier to achieve the perfect angle with because it has more of the edge available to feel and use.

thombrogan

The more blade exposure a razor has, the easier it is to achieve a very shallow angle.

Being prone to all-or-nothing thinking and related errors, dichotomies like this intrigue me. Expose more blade to feel less blade while cutting. Are there Rigidity Cult robes available in a men's 2XL? I wanted the RazoRock Hawk V3 in open comb, but suspect their "A" baseplate will have more exposure. An email will be sent.

This is why I had a patchy BBS finish with my NEW SC. I didnt stray steep when shaving like that, but because it has little blade exposure, that very fine line is difficult to maintain.

The Yaqi double open comb is a lot like that. Rigid with minimal blade exposure. Shaving steep was nigh impossible.

My Grande is far easier to achieve the perfect angle with because it has more of the edge available to feel and use.

Mine's patiently waiting for me to drop this single-edge lunacy, but I'm getting closer to my face-scuffing goals and the chonkier AC-format blades are a big factor.

thombrogan

While I explicitly asked about blade exposure, the answer I received used the phrase "aggression." I'm hoping Italian Barber will sell me a Hawk V3 with the OC and "A" plates and then I'll see whether aggression is exposure or wiggly with a randomly activated spring trap. It will be awesome either way.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Being prone to all-or-nothing thinking and related errors, dichotomies like this intrigue me. Expose more blade to feel less blade while cutting.

More blade exposure lets you get the edge more parallel to your skin. Less blade exposure, like with my NEW SC, makes that more difficult and even with considerably more pressure on the cap, I need to concentrate like I'm trying to understand quantum physics to shave as shallow as I do with my Grande, mindlessly.

I'll see whether aggression is exposure or wiggly with a randomly activated spring trap.

To me, my R41 is "aggressive".

IMG_2786.JPG

I’d rather watch Gambon’s movies, so I’m glad his is the only named corner.

This one of the most memorable films I've seen.

the cook, the thief.jpg

Peter Greenaway's movies aren't for everyone but he's a master of his craft, the attention to detail in every scene astonishing. He's one of my favourite film makers, in my top 10, easy. This is perhaps his finest. Michael Gambon is terrifying!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

View attachment 1075370

Peter Greenaway's movies aren't for everyone but he's a master of his craft, the attention to detail in every scene astonishing. He's one of my favourite film makers, in my top 10, easy. This is perhaps his finest. Michael Gambon is terrifying!

I have that one on the way down and I'll watch it tonight, thanks!

thombrogan

Last night's shave:
RazoRock BlackHawk V2
Schick Proline P-30 (? +7)
Reduced sized snurdle of KMF/reduced sized shot of Aveeno Therapeutic/5 drops glycerin
Nivea Sensitive Balm

Getting better at teh shallow-angle feel-the-cutting-not-the-blade stuff. Not good, mind you, but better than the night prior. Maybe 53% were the right type.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Damn... I was just at Walmart and forgot!

I may not visit that store again until its socially acceptable to wear animal skins and carry an axe! lol

On the upside, I can still smell the CRS Sandalwood I shaved with two hours ago. Things have a way of working out.

thombrogan

More blade exposure lets you get the edge more parallel to your skin. Less blade exposure, like with my NEW SC, makes that more difficult and even with considerably more pressure on the cap, I need to concentrate like I'm trying to understand quantum physics to shave as shallow as I do with my Grande, mindlessly.

Oh snap! The more the edge is exposed, the less cap or comb material is in the way. So even though the exact angle of edge meeting stubble is a dynamic though undeniably steep mystery, arranging that meet requires less guess and finesse.

To me, my R41 is "aggressive".

I've only got the 2013-R41, the cuddly kitteh. If it had anything even barely approaching a flaw, it would be its very low level of rigidity and that would mostly be experienced as a negative for ATG passes.

If you buy or otherwise obtain a Yaqi Double Open Comb head (they were $4.99USD shipped by Wish via Amazon when I got mine), you can combine the 2013-R41 top cap with the Yaqi's gently curved baseplate and get a smooth shaver with more blade exposure than the Yaqi alone and more rigidity and less blade exposure than the 2013-R41 alone.

Or you can combine the Yaqi top cap with the 2013-R41 baseplate and get more blade exposure and blade flex than the 2013-R41 by its lonesome and a razor head that looks vaguely like the horned skull cover art on the album "Danzig II: Lucifuge"

Obviously hypothetical for now as that's money going towards your gold-plated ATT SE1.

Are you sure you don't want the SE2 for the increased blade exposure and homage to your fabled MMOC?

My to-see list floweth over. Thanks much!

Damn... I was just at Walmart and forgot!

I may not visit that store again until its socially acceptable to wear animal skins and carry an axe! lol

If you think that's too extreme for shopping at Walmart, you haven't really shopped there.

On the upside, I can still smell the CRS Sandalwood I shaved with two hours ago. Things have a way of working out.

Nice!

Should I ever slay my bottle of KMF pomegranate-grapefruit, I've got a puck of Gentleman Jon's sandalwood that smells awesome. By that time, I hope to be good enough at shallow ATG-only shaving to find out whether my extra irritation from it last time was my poor skills or the soap's additives.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Oh snap! The more the edge is exposed, the less cap or comb material is in the way. So even though the exact angle of edge meeting stubble is a dynamic though undeniably steep mystery, arranging that meet requires less guess and finesse.

Yessir.jpg

I've only got the 2013-R41, the cuddly kitteh. If it had anything even barely approaching a flaw, it would be its very low level of rigidity and that would mostly be experienced as a negative for ATG passes.

Mines a 2013ish model. Flaws?

IMG_2785.JPG IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2796.jpg IMG_2798.jpg

@Rosseforp might appreciate those being a machinist. Or, not lol.

Are you sure you don't want the SE2 for the increased blade exposure and homage to your fabled MMOC?

We'll see...

If you think that's too extreme for shopping at Walmart, you haven't really shopped there.

1wuoi7.jpg

By that time, I hope to be good enough at shallow ATG-only shaving to find out whether my extra irritation from it last time was my poor skills or the soap's additives.

Everything needs to come together. When it does, you'll know.

thombrogan

Mines a 2013ish model. Flaws?

It's not squared off or even optically flat, true, but it offers plenty of blade exposure, a thin-ish cap with less obtrusion than the EJ89/R89 for folks who don't boop combs, and deeply set scallops on said comb/safety bar for comfort.

It's not going to take market share from Above The Tie, Tartara, or Timeless where more precise construction should be expected/demanded.

@Rosseforp might appreciate those being a machinist. Or, not lol.

Would love to read his perspective, too.

Everything needs to come together. When it does, you'll know.

From last night's shave, even though it isn't BBS everywhere and there's irritation where I got it wrong (patches of everywhere), the best way for me to paw the razor came about and both where my skin was shaved BBS and where a wee bit of whiskers shyly peek out, my skin feels much smoother than normal. Also, despite feeling raw, there's just mild razor burn of fail and not usual blotches. EDIT - no, it looks like possums scraped a clearing in my neck and started burrowing…

Will see what next one brings.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's not squared off or even optically flat, true, but it offers plenty of blade exposure, a thin-ish cap with less obtrusion than the EJ89/R89 for folks who don't boop combs, and deeply set scallops on said comb/safety bar for comfort.

It's not going to take market share from Above The Tie, Tartara, or Timeless where more precise construction should be expected/demanded.

You dont need to spend more that $40 to beat the R41. The blade exposure is virtually identical to the Fatip OC.

R41-FATIP2.jpg

My 1940ish Gillette regent Tech has them both beat in the blade exposure department.

Regent.jpg

With a little BOSC fiddling, its also as rigid as my Fatip.

Will see what next one brings.

I use my R41 the same way, but because the blade has an inherently steeper angle through less blade curve, it still feels too steep. Because the cap is so thick, finding the angle of edge to skin I want is incredibly difficult.

R41.Angle.jpg

Because of the lack of blade support from the base, the only blade I can use is a fresh Feather and it still never feels secure.

Top Bottom