Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave:
Pre-shave: Alberto VO5 Extra-Volume conditioner
RazoRock BlackHawk V2
Schick Proline P-30 (24?)
Alberto VO5 Extra-Volume conditioner applied by hand
Nivea Sensitive Aftershave balm
Equate Moisture Advanced Care Body Lotion

All ATG, only steep around curve of chin. Lots of going over the same area multiple times with very slick, protective feeling urging me onward.

Alum block stung and shaved surfaces felt hot for almost an hour. Skin showing less razor burn.

Yesterday, I tried whipping up a similarly slick lather with two squirts of KMF in my big, gray bowl. It was a lot of work and a lot more water than expected to get what might be similar to dollar store conditioner. Won’t try on face until I’m sure these last, two exceptional shaves with conditioner were a fluke.

Seems easier to stick to a plan if the plan isn’t “take it easy until you’ve recovered from your stupidity.”

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Seems easier to stick to a plan if the plan isn’t “take it easy until you’ve recovered from your stupidity.”

hqdefault.jpg

thombrogan

In the future dreaming of dumb crap I don’t need realm…

The Schick Proline is taller than the Kai Captain Pink Mild
The Kai Captain Pink Mild is markedly more rigid than the Schick Proline
The SE-2 has more blade exposure than the SE-1

So logically… If she weighs the same as a duck…

But I haven’t tried the Vincent blades yet so I don’t know if the more acute edge bevel reduces the rigidity needed. And I haven’t tried the R41 with the dollar store conditioner yet.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Schick Proline is taller than the Kai Captain Pink Mild
The Kai Captain Pink Mild is markedly more rigid than the Schick Proline
The SE-2 has more blade exposure than the SE-1

Soon, I hope to be able to measure such things, and more besides lol.

Speaking of rigidity...

I was going to suggest that, possibly, with all the cool fun toys @Rosseforp has, if there might be a way to measure the rigidity of DE blades when loaded in a razor.

That was on my mind when a friend and I spent an afternoon with beer cans and his Mitu calipers and micrometer measuring blade thicknesses. He said he could, but didnt have the tools in his garage at home for it. I'm also not sure of his enthusiasm level, but it might be right up Dougs alley lol.

thombrogan

That‘s quite the rabbit hole to travel.

We know of plenty of folks using the R41 or Blackland Blackbird let alone the dual-rail Merkur 34-style jobbies as daily drivers. A disturbing amount of twin raily dailies are sold by Baili, Yintal, etc. That’s a tick against the necessity of rigidity for a CCS or even BBS.

Some of the R41 users won’t shave ATG at all and some use extensive prep to do so. That’s a tick in favor of rigidity.

A decent ATG-only shave done steep with little-to-no buffing can be had a with a FaTip Grande or RazoRock BlackHawk V2. Also another feather in rigidity’s cap.

I‘m suspicious that shaving shallow reduces the amount of forces hitting the edge at an angle that would cause its deflection. That could also explain why “mild” razors with insufficient blade exposure require so much work to use effectively even if they’re super-dooper rigid like a RazoRock BlackHawk V2 equipped with a Kai Captain Pink Mild. And also why a straight razor with a high hollow-grind; so thin it sings: can deliver a close, irritation-free shave.

Pitiably, I feel compelled to add another if/then speculation without disproving or confirming my previous suspicion. Definitely not big brain time. So, to indulge this anti-intellectual compulsion:

Rigidity is one of several means to reduce elastic behavior from a keen edge (so as to increase chances it will cut stubble instead of flesh). It’s beauty; again, only in my wild eyed speculations too devoid of confirmation to be useful; if that it’s omnipresent unlike keeping passes quick and short to reduce elastically loading the razor.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I was going to suggest that, possibly, with all the cool fun toys @Rosseforp has, if there might be a way to measure the rigidity of DE blades when loaded in a razor.
Of course what is needed is a Force Measuring Gage, a simple hand-held push-pull model such as this is what we used at work.
It is really just an accurate fish scale............

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
$98CAD all in. If they're as good as I think they are judging by that vid, I'll be happy enough with them. If not, I've wasted more on worse but it set my gold SE 1 back a step.
That is about what the surface plate I want is gonna set me back. Checking how much to send my SE1 out to get gold plated.....Lol
I DO have a buddy that owns a polishing and plating shop, Graybill Metal Polishing in Baldwin Park, Ca.
Checking my map, I think it is on the way to Standridge Granite Surface Plates in Sante Fe Springs, Ca.
Hmmmmm.

I like the attachment, makes measuring depths easy. I use depth mic's of course. Lol
This is similar to what we used at work, ours were certified waterproof so they cost twice as much. I can testify that these will take a beating, I have seen them fly across the shop, bounce off concrete floors, they keep working. Mitutoyo Digital Calipers

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I‘m suspicious that shaving shallow reduces the amount of forces hitting the edge at an angle that would cause its deflection.

Thats exactly why I use my Grande at the angle I do. When the edge encounters resistance, its forced into it at an angle that doesnt induce flex. If I drop that angle even a tiny bit and shave slowly enough I can hear a tiny 'ping' when the blade springs back to shape.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That is about what the surface plate I want is gonna set me back. Checking how much to send my SE1 out to get gold plated.....Lol
I DO have a buddy that owns a polishing and plating shop, Graybill Metal Polishing in Baldwin Park, Ca.
Checking my map, I think it is on the way to Standridge Granite Surface Plates in Sante Fe Springs, Ca.
Hmmmmm.

I like the attachment, makes measuring depths easy. I use depth mic's of course. Lol
This is similar to what we used at work, ours were certified waterproof so they cost twice as much. I can testify that these will take a beating, I have seen them fly across the shop, bounce off concrete floors, they keep working. Mitutoyo Digital Calipers

It's not easy to find, but it is in there:

Razor Plating - https://www.abovethetie.com/collections/razor-plating

I'm not sure if I'll use the depth attachment but its certainly a useful addition. The USB data entry thing I doubt I'll ever use, but its a nice feature to have.

My Mitu's have been through a lot in their life. Kinda sad they died alone and not in battle lol. The ones you linked I'd like to have, but at $246.12CAD plus shipping I just cant justify it anymore. I think I can buy them here for $230+13% tax at the tool shop. Too rich for me, unless I'm highly disappointed in the $100 ones I have coming.

When I reload, repeatable, consistent accuracy is the main goal. Being out .001" may not seem like much, but when you're dealing with forged steel under the stress of ~60,000psi I dont like a lack of precision, that makes me nervous. If I dont have confidence in the tools, the rest doesnt matter much.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
It's not easy to find, but it is in there:

Razor Plating - https://www.abovethetie.com/collections/razor-plating

I'm not sure if I'll use the depth attachment but its certainly a useful addition. The USB data entry thing I doubt I'll ever use, but its a nice feature to have.

My Mitu's have been through a lot in their life. Kinda sad they died alone and not in battle lol. The ones you linked I'd like to have, but at $246.12CAD plus shipping I just cant justify it anymore. I think I can buy them here for $230+13% tax at the tool shop. Too rich for me, unless I'm highly disappointed in the $100 ones I have coming.

When I reload, repeatable, consistent accuracy is the main goal. Being out .001" may not seem like much, but when you're dealing with forged steel under the stress of ~60,000psi I dont like a lack of precision, that makes me nervous. If I dont have confidence in the tools, the rest doesnt matter much.
Only $65 plus shipping for my SE1, but I also have a 1953 Selmer Trumpet that I want to get an estimate on...... my buddy just says, "how much ya got?" then he says he will leave you enough for gas to get home. Not like I need it gold plated. Lol
That sucks they died just sitting there, I have had computers do that before. Let 'em sit for a year and the power supply dies... Our mic's and calipers all had the USB ports, we never used them, had to write down the dimensions on a log. That really sucked, I don't miss that at all. There were days I spent almost as much time logging dimensions as I did actually making the parts.

Most of the parts I made had tolerances of +.0002" -.0000", so a tolerance of .001" to me is "Wide Open"...... I don't have to check those parts!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Dont forget, ATT is in the vendors forum. Oh right, he'll make sure you dont have to hitchhike haha.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Dont forget, ATT is in the vendors forum. Oh right, he'll make sure you dont have to hitchhike haha.
If I do get my SE1 plated, I would also get my NSC done. I prefer the patina. For my GC84-P, I like the satin polish.......
I havent' checked the vendors forum much, maybe it is time for a bit of moseying around.........

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If I do get my SE1 plated, I would also get my NSC done. I prefer the patina. For my GC84-P, I like the satin polish.......
I havent' checked the vendors forum much, maybe it is time for a bit of moseying around.........

Stainless needs to shine like a mirror and I'd be in front of my buffing wheel, shirt covered in compound, until it was lol.

thombrogan

Thats exactly why I use my Grande at the angle I do. When the edge encounters resistance, its forced into it at an angle that doesnt induce flex. If I drop that angle even a tiny bit and shave slowly enough I can hear a tiny 'ping' when the blade springs back to shape.

I like that explanation. Not as much as shaving steeply with the FaTip Grande, but your words clicked into place

thombrogan

Last night’s shave:
Pre-shave: Alberto VO5 Extra-Volume conditioner
RazoRock BlackHawk V2
Schick Proline P-30 (25?)
Nivea Sensitive Aftershave balm

Shave ended better than most of my non-VO5 shaves, but was rough and frustrating. First, I skimped on applying conditioner for the shave and didn’t skimp on applying pressur. Second, I had to redo jawline and neck several times. Even with more conditioner used for that, it was still a lot more work for a little effort. And that was with very little stubble having grown from the previous night’s shave.

Consolations: Got slightly better at shaving shallow around chin and the Nivea didn’t sting.

As it entered the spent razor blade juice bottle, the Schick Proline was plenty sharp for a skilled user. hope to develop that skill over the next few months.

Next shave to feature the Vincent PSI VT306B 50mm razor blade. The only razor blade with “PSI” in its name that doesn’t have rumors of its impending demise used to sales at auction sites. Also, whether it works well for me or not, I hope it keeps on keeping on because 50 AC-format blades for $9USD shipped is a bargain.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I like that explanation. Not as much as shaving steeply with the FaTip Grande, but your words clicked into place

I can shave steeply anywhere but my swirls with my Grande.

I even noticed that yesterday with my MMOC on the 2nd shave with a PTFE. I tried shaving steep throughout the entire shave but on my left side swirl I just couldnt. Even focusing and deliberately trying, because of the density of growth and the rapidly changing directions of growth I couldnt keep the edge in contact with my skin and the blade even left lather behind.

Shaving the same area very shallow, that doesnt happen. Its a bit frustrating if I'm completely honest.

thombrogan

I can shave steeply anywhere but my swirls with my Grande.

I even noticed that yesterday with my MMOC on the 2nd shave with a PTFE. I tried shaving steep throughout the entire shave but on my left side swirl I just couldnt. Even focusing and deliberately trying, because of the density of growth and the rapidly changing directions of growth I couldnt keep the edge in contact with my skin and the blade even left lather behind.

I feel bad because going steep was how I knocked out the wiry hairs the escaped the WTG/XTG/ATG mambo. If it’s a small touch up, it still is.

Sounds like you‘d need to more perfectly track the growth pattern for it to work.

Shaving the same area very shallow, that doesnt happen. Its a bit frustrating if I'm completely honest.

I do not like when a preferred way of doing something and an effective way aren’t the same.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave:
RazoRock BlackHawk V2
Vincent PSI VT306B (1)
Equate Motionsphere 5-blade (??? a lot)

The Vincent PSI VT306B felt unnervingly sharp - so much so that I switched to a standard, three-pass/three-directions shave. And felt like I barely cut a single whisker.

Grabbed the Equate Motionsphere 5-blade and scrubbed ATG with determined frustration and a few touch ups.

Mostly BBS with less irritation than normal. No alum, no Nivea balm, no problems. Just curious about what I did wrong with the Vincent PSI.

Up next: How long will the next Schick Proline last if I avoid shaving shallowly?

Top Bottom