Astra SP (5)
Semogue 610 boar
MWF soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Witch Hazel
Avon Clint AS

The Process-
Late morning shave ... oh yeah. Wasn’t really sure which direction to go on my shave today, so I opted for a DE and The Fat. It whipped up a really nice lather, as usual. And although The Fat has a light scent, I really dig it. Plus my AS choices are wide open. This soap really has a lot going for it.

No leather this morning, it was all easy peasy. Went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Outstanding! That was it right there. I had the razor set on 5 and it delivered a close, comfortable shave and I am BBS for the win! Nice ... very nice.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. Splash of the witch hazel then a glug of the AS. Everything was right as rain. I really dig this aftershave, there is just nothing modern about it. No initial funk out of the bottle. Just the same classic scent start to finish. Man I dig it. A simple, classic shave that will rival any other. Life is good!

Home Front-
Dinner and a movie with the missus last night. We found a new cajun place for dinner. Kinda limited menu, but had the basics and it was really good. Saw Bad Boys For Life at the movies and it was a decent flick. Last weekend we saw Fantasy Island, which has an interesting twist. We have a small cinema, not a chain, and it has dirt cheap prices. Makes for a nice, inexpensive date night

D43973D3-4460-4E62-98A4-9B5FEDFF6E6C.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 353 SE: 6 SR: 394)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Soligen SR
Stirling synth
PAA Sangre de Drago soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Witch Hazel

The Process-
Late morning shave ... wha ... what?! That’s right friends and neighbors, stay-cation this week. I had some leftover vaca from last year that has to be used up before the end of first quarter. So here we are. Had to thit the Sangre de Dago again ... just because. This is a sample, so I scooped out just a bit and smashed it into the copper bowl. Got after it with the synth and whipped up a really nice, creamy lather. Man ... good stuff right there.

40 laps on leather and the Solingen was ready for action. Went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was a great shave that checked all the boxes. Yes and yes ... and I am BBS for the win! The soap does a great job and I am digging the scent. Dang it, this is going to have to go on my “to buy” list. It will make a great addition to the rotation.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. Splash of the witch hazel and everything was right as rain. Yup, no AS today. I wanted to try and enjoy the soap scent just a touch longer. No matching AS yet, but I’ll get it. I have the AA Bay Rum set and it’s outstanding, so I’m sure this set will be great as well. Life is good!

Home Front-
Pssst, I’m off work this week. At the moment the only hard plans are going to the toe doc on Wednesday. That won’t be fun. More to follow.

C55E30F9-E402-49D9-8FA9-532876F64DBA.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 353 SE: 6 SR: 395)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Soligen SR
Vulfix Badger
Stirling Triumph soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Witch Hazel
Stirling Triumph AS

The Process-
Didn’t hear the alarm clock this morning. Oh ... that’s right, it’s not set. To celebrate the day, I started with a late morning shave. It seemed like a good day to Triumph, so it got the nod. Thought I would see if my public shaming of Zenith and Vulfix brushes helped with an attitude adjustment, so the Vulfix is on deck as well. Went with a 30 second load time and that was plenty. I whipped up a really nice lather that smelled great. I don’t know why, but this soap has a familiar scent. The Vulfix did decide to behave and not shed any today, so there’s that. But it’s still not the most comfortable brush.

40 laps on leather and the Solingen was again ready for action. Went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. An outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win! Oh yeah, that was some goodness right there! I also enjoyed the scent all through the shave and didn’t go nose blind. Nice ... very nice.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. A splash of witch hazel and a glug of the AS. Who am I kidding? I hit that AS like it owed me money. And you know everything was right as rain. Oh man, I am so “That guy” and I’m owning it. That was a great shave and I smell awesome! Really enjoying the week so far, just keeping things random. Life is good!

Home Front-
Was goofing with the sewing machine yesterday and finished my razor pouches. I now have one for DE and one for SRs. Sometime in the future, I need to make a tool pouch, but that can wait a bit.

9ACF8AB6-9004-499B-B4F1-6129A471F1A3.jpeg

38F9173E-97E6-44BC-966C-EF642E31447E.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 354 SE: 6 SR: 395)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Fatboy
Astra SP (6)
Zenith Boar
RR The Stallion soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Witch Hazel
RR The Stallion AS

The Process-
Just a quick entry today, trying RR The Stallion. The missus likes the scent. I’m not sure what she smells. I guess I’m weird because I smell industrial cleaner. Ya know, the kind with some sort of synthetic citrus type scent. Got a good lather and the brush surprisingly didn’t shed. Scored an enjoyable BBS and wrapped up as usual. The AS is the same with that scent. Hmmmm I hope the dry down is a bit different. Life is good!

Home Front-
Toe doc today bummer.

9474BDE2-2C33-47C0-BD88-E06FB0A7778E.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 355 SE: 6 SR: 395)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette NEW LC
Eddison blade (1)
Stirling boar
PdP 63 soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Witch Hazel
PdP 63 AS

The Process-
Late morning shave ... uh yeah. I haven’t used PdP in awhile, it’s been in the the Dopp bag. So I dug it out this morning. The Eddison blades I picked up in a trade awhile back, so it got the nod today. I also grabbed the NEW, which hasn’t seen much action. The Stirling has broken in well and whipped up a nice lather with no issues. I had enough lather for the shave and post shave.

Went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. A very nice shave and I am BBS for the win! Not sure if it was my angle, the blade or what but the shave was not as comfortable as it could have been. But no nicks or irritation, so it’s all good. Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. A splash of witch hazel and a smear of the ASB. Everything was right as rain! A good change up to keep it interesting. Life is good!

Home Front-
So today is a chill day. I was having some issues with ingrown nails and the toe bro either hooked me up or jacked me up. I’m not sure which yet. Two toes had nail removed on both sides and a laser was involved. The little piggy lost the nail completely. Wrapping is so big that I can’t wear socks or shoes. So today I am just sitting around with cold feet and chewing Advil. Grrrrrr I hate being stuck in a chair.

881CA148-45C4-4027-B24D-CD9E15A9C138.jpeg

C137A530-4CE6-4565-9583-223250A6B91C.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 355 SE: 6 SR: 396)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Solingen SR
DsC Badger
Stirling Piacenza soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Witch Hazel
Stirling Piacenza AS

The Process-
Rocking the Piacenza today with a quick update. Very nice shave and I am BBS for the win! I decided the Eddison blades are not too great. I scored a BBS with it, but it didn’t last long.

Home Front-
Fee are doing better. Showered and re-bandaged last night and the swelling is down. Plus I can wear socks and my sandals today. At the vet now for some teeth work on a horse. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 356 SE: 6 SR: 397)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Fatboy
Wizamet (1)
Stirling synth
PAA Sangre de Drago soap (sample)

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Water splash

The Process-
Quick update. Decided to hit this sample again ... man this stuff smells great. A pea sized scoop in the Copper Bowl whipped up a ton of wet, creamy lather. Scored a great shave and I am BBS for the win! Didn’t use anything else, just to keep the scent a touch longer. That and gauge the post shave feel, which is nice. Yup, I have got to get this one. If the splash has the same characteristics as the AA Bay Rum, it should be amazing. Life is good!

Home Front-
Just honey-dos around the house today and taking care of critters. May try to work on a few things also. We’ll see.

Scored this off a BST. It’s used, but was a good deal. I like the scent off the puck, I think I might dig it.

514E4D19-D4DB-4E07-A386-E03B34DCEB34.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 358 SE: 7 SR: 399)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
DSC Badger
DG Darkfall soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Witch Hazel
DG Darkfall AS

The Process-
TGIF! I don't normally wish my life away like that, but I am glad today is Friday. The only change I made with the kit today was to up the brush to the DSC to see what kinda sloppy mess I could make. Off the puck and while lathering this morning, I still think I am getting a musk smell, but not as bad as yesterday. Maybe it has been sitting awhile and opening it up released the "tomb stench". Anyway this is the Icarus base and seems to be rather firmer than I have heard MilkSteak described. Threw a bit of water on the puck and let that sit while I got other things ready. Went with a 30 second load time and got to it. Whipped up a decent, thick lahter that held a good amount of water. Again had plenty for the shave and post shave.

40 laps on leather this morning and got after it. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. I did have the soap better hydrated than yesterday and that was a noticable difference. However, I still missed a smidge and ended up with a DFS for the win! I think this razor needs to go back to the stones. I'll put it in the queue. But ... I'll take a DFS any day.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. A splash of the Witch Hazel and followed up with a glug of the AS. Everything was right as rain? So today I decided to go big or go home. I shook the bottle up real good and hit the AS harder than yesterday. Now I get it. The splash opens up with menthol that builds and then fades away. Similar to a crisp fall morning that gives way to a nice warm day. Easing into a nice, warm and woody scent. I get it! Thankfully I had covered that musk smell. I guess it was in the soap and not the AS.

So ... I took a pause here while writing and did a little digging. Here is a review that I found.

" Icarus was introduced this past spring of ‘18 and proved to be so popular that DG decided to continue using it for seasonal offerings while continuing to maintain their normal stable of soaps in the original Bison base. Icarus still uses Bison tallow and lanolin but has added the addition of goat’s milk for what many consider to be enhanced performance and currently the best performing artisan soap on the market. Since the original release Scott has switched up sourcing the ingredients, notably the goat milk, in order to decrease what many described as an animalic funk that invaded the scent of the original release. Since then there have been mixed responses with regard to the funk."

"... I took Scott’s advice and left the container open for 24 hrs before using."

What?! See folks ... I am not crazy at all (am not!). Other people smell an animal funk. Thank goodness! Ok, so when I get home tonight, I am going to air that stinky goat out for a full 24. What a freaking mess. But anyway ... Life is good!

Home Front-
So ... I think tonight I will be taking a look at that soap sample pass-around box.

12B89B39-B62F-4CD5-9047-F48B59D8B4E1.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 358 SE: 7 SR: 400)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Reynolds SR
Stirling boar
Stirling Triumph soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Witch Hazel
Stirling Triumph AS

The Process-
Quick update. Outstanding shave, I am BBS and smelling great! Life is good

E294F276-8606-4204-90A7-896F3FF43B5D.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 358 SE: 7 SR: 401)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Reynolds SR
Stirling boar
Krokos soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Witch Hazel
Florida Water AS

The Process-
Late morning shave and mixing the kit up a bit. Thought I would try a soap I haven’t used in awhile. Krokos has a really light scent, but I kinda dig it. I scored this one a long time ago in a trade because the original owner had a reaction to it. Anyway, it whipped up a really nice lather. The lather was light and wet, but not airy. When on your face, it doesn’t feel as heavy as some soaps, if that makes sense. The Stirling did lose one hair which is kinda a bummer.

40 laps on leather again this morning and it was go time. Went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was a great shave and I am BBS for the win! Nice ... very nice!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. A splash of WH and a splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Good stuff right there. Nice dry down and I smell great. Life is good!

Home Front-
Nice weekend. Dinner out with the missus on Friday, but no movie. A late lunch with my mom and some family that came into town on Saturday. Just working on a few things around the house today. I think that’s all I’ve got.

Shave Count (DE: 358 SE: 7 SR: 403)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Reynolds SR
Stirling synth
Wickhams 1912 Frankincense soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Witch Hazel
Florida Water AS

The Process-
On deck today we have a sample of Wickhams 1912 Frankincense. I am really digging the scent of this sample. It was green off the tub and I wasn't real sure about that. So I threw a bit in the bowl and go it. Once lathered, it's kinda green (light) and spicy. Really nice! Yup, I'm digging it. Started with a damp brush and started working it in the bowl adding a drop of two of water as I went. Then wet my face and got to it ... Whoomp there it is! A very nice, wet lather to work with. And that scent ... man oh man. It didn't fade the whole shave. Very nice indeed.

So 40 laps on leather and it was go time. I went with my standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Man I was really into that shave ... lost in the scent. I didn't even notice the slickness and what-not. I'm told it's nice. I was just really lost in the moment. An outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win! That's what I am talking about right there!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. A splash of WH and a healthy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! That spash wasn't an awesome pairing, but I got to continue the spicy. Maybe I should have opted for Avon Spicy. Anyway, this shave was kinda bittersweet and one I probably should have avoided. The shave itself was great, but I went to check on pricing and availability of the soap and it appears to be discontinued. Oh well ... a good shave non the less. Life is good!

Home Front-
I'm sure there is/was something going on.

1EB9BC88-6DCA-4D25-963C-95E13BAA98B4.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 361 SE: 8 SR: 405)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Wizamet blade (7)
Semogue boar
RR The Stallion soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
RR The Stalion AS

The Process-
Didn't get to work from home today, so an early morning shave again. Don't know why, but the last two days have been tough getting up. And with that, the Slim got the nod. I kept the same software and changed up the hardware. The Semogue did a really nice job and kinda surprised me. The soap/AS today was not as sharp, maybe opening and using a bit helped. Or maybe my nose is adjusting, who knows.

I went with my standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Another quick easy peasy shave and I am BBS for the win! Man I dig those kinda shaves.

Wrapped everything up with just a splash of water and a quick pat dry. A splash of WH and of the AS and everything was right as rain! Yeah, the scent was definitely more muted today and I noticed the dry down which is nice. So ... maybe my first impression was a little too harsh. Maybe. Life is good!

Home Front-
Had to come into the office today as we continue to prep our users to work from home. It has been another crazy busy day ... my goodness. I will be glad when this work day is over. Auto and foot traffic in downtown Dallas was really light again today. I think it may be kinda sinking in now.

6B16657C-C904-44DD-8769-01E743EDA5CA.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 362 SE: 8 SR: 408)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Henckels SR
Vulfix Badger
SV 70th sample

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Generic Witch Hazel

The Process-
Late morning shave and it was glorious! Decided to go a bit luxurious today with an SR, badger and SV. I have not tried their products before and was really excited to. Added a bit of the sample of my copper bowl, threw some water in there and got to it. The lather builds quickly into a nice yogurt consistency and smelled great. The scent is on the brighter side of the spectrum, and that’s all I got for ya. I couldn’t pick out anything specific. This one also whipped up enough for three passes and a post shave lather.

40 laps for the razor and it was go time. I may have mentioned it before, but the hinge pin is a bit loose. I will fix that later today. I went with my standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. An outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win! Man that was NICE! That JNat edge is still holding up well and delivers a nice smooth shave.

Wrapped everything up with just a splash of water and a quick pat dry. The soap rinses cleanly and still had a bit of slickness to it. Let that dry then hit it with a splash of the WH. I didn’t opt for an AS because I don’t have anything close to it. Checked the post shave feel a few times and it was very good. This is a really nice soap and I’m glad I got the opportunity to try it. A big shoutout to @Dave in KY for his generosity. Life is good!

Home Front-
So ... anyone have any recommendations for home workouts with no weights?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Home Front-
So ... anyone have any recommendations for home workouts with no weights?

Yes, make your antagonistic muscles fight each other. Pit your triceps against your biceps and take turns letting one side barely win. When you get the hang of it, try finding other combinations throughout your body. Like medial delta and upper traps versus pecs, lats, serratu, intercostals or glutes and hams versus abs and quads etcetera. Once you’ve got the feeling, you may crank up the resistance against almost every sets of groups - just not the neck.

It‘s not as efficient as weights, but the advantage is you can get stronger anywhere and any time you don’t mind looking terribly silly.

6F32DFB3-362E-4FD6-8115-D1DFE3FF74AC.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 362 SE: 8 SR: 409)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Henckels SR
Stirling Boar
Stirling Piacenza sample

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Generic Witch Hazel
Stirling Piacenza AS sample

The Process-
Late morning shave ... oh yeah! Mixed up the kit, for the most part and got to it. I am a big fan of Stirling products. The sell pre - post shave all with matching scents. They use proven ingredients and the price point is a winner in my book.With that, Piacenza got the nod. I whipped up a really nice lather that smelled great.

40 laps on the razor and it was go time. I went with my standard shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. A very nice shave with the scent carrying throughout the shave. Very pleasant, relaxing and I am BBS for the win! Man ... that was a good shave.

Wrapped everything up with just a splash of water and a quick pat dry. A splash of witch hazel and then followed up with a splash of the AS. Everything was right as rain! Yup ... I am going to have to add this to my “must buy” list. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 362 SE: 8 SR: 411)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Torrey SR
Vulfix Badger
Stirling Executive Man sample

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Generic Witch Hazel
Stirling Executive Man AS sample

The Process-
Another late morning shave and quick update. I kept catching whiffs of the AS yesterday and had to do this one again. The only change was the brush and I’m not sure why I did that. Another great BBS shave and I am ready for this 80 degree day. Life is good!

D2B24C90-B272-47A3-AFA2-061C0ECAB676.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 363 SE: 8 SR: 411)

Pre Shave-
Shower and go

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Wizamet blade
DSC Badger
SV 70th sample

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Generic Witch Hazel
Avon Clint AS

The Process-
Late shave today. Slept in a bit then mowed and edged the yard. Cleaned up with a really nice shave. Decided on an easy shave and grabbed a DE. The DSC got the nod and I was going for big lather. The SV 70th didn’t disappoint either, it whipped up a ton of really nice lather.

Went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Each pass had more than enough lather ... it was decadent. The Slim made easy work of that stubble and I am BBS for the win! Man ... that was a really great shave.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. A splash of witch hazel, followed by a splash of the AS. Everything was right as rain! I don’t have anything that matches the soap I used, but Avon Clint is good anytime. Life is good!

282F7158-99A1-4665-9C2A-706957BDD9CD.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 363 SE: 8 SR: 412)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Torrey SR
RR 400 synth
DG Darkfall soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Generic Witch Hazel
DG Darkfall AS

The Process-
Late morning shave with some weirdness. The end result was nice but getting there ... hm. I was really wanting to like this soap and upon first sniff, I thought I might. I know the vendor changesd milk suppliers due to QC issues and I picked this up 2nd hand. But it does have the goat funk issues. The 72 hour lid off thing may have dissipated it, but I sill smell it. Anyway, lathered it easily enough with the Plussoft knot. Not sure what I think about this knot. I may replace with a boar if I am still employed after the pandemic. Any thoughts on a TGN boar?

Went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with a tad drama to report. The lather was nice and wet enough to sling off the brush. But not some OMG super awesome slick, can’t live without at any cost stuff. Anyway I drew blood by trying to remove a mole. What the?! That never happens ... but it did. It bled pretty good through the entire shave too. Awesome! I did score a BBS, but the whole thing was just kinda weird.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. Still bleeding. A splash of witch hazel ... still bleeding. Followed that a splash of the AS ... still bleeding. Then with a bit of direct pressure and everything was right as rain! Goodness. Anyway the AS starts out menthol and then settles into a warm acent ... I don’t know, maybe bin the soap and use the AS with MWF. Glad I had a chance to try it, but the set and vendor are not a repeat purchase for me. Life is good!

Home Front-
Winding down staycation week ... :(

Top Bottom