What's new

My Grande Journey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Few people are aware of the huge and present danger facing mankind. Hardly anyone is aware that there is an ancient and terrible evil, watching humankind from the vastness of space. Almost no one knows that they are plotting to take over the earth and enslave the human race. Every day humans go about their business completely unaware that many of them are unwittingly aiding and abetting these fowl and evil beings. It is our duty at the great duck conspiracy resistance network to inform people of that most deadly and patient intergalactic invasion force known in this or any other universe. An evil so terrifyingly effective, that they already have control of vast swathes of our galaxy. This evil is in plain sight, this evil is none other than the Anatis or as more commonly known Ducks. That's right ladies and Gentlemen ducks, I kid you not. Though before you proceed any further, knowledge of the great duck conspiracy can bring great danger to your self and those you love. So before you continue any further, think to yourself, am I willing to take the risk? If the answer is yes then read on at your own peril. If not just shake your head, face palm and move on. This knowledge is not for the faint hearted you have been WARNED!!!!!!!!!!

How to take action and thwart the duck invasion.
1. Eat as many ducks and duck eggs as you can.
2. Fill in ponds and small lakes.
3. Share this knowledge with as many folks as possible.
4. Join one of our growing resistance groups.
5. Eat all the ducks food.
6. Ditch the MMOC

6806628248_f5d5c17e62_b.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Todays shave was so nice I forgot all about it. I just remembered it when I sat back with a belly full of glazed ham and felt my face haha. Smooth and supple. Not even a hint of dryness. It feels like I used a lotion, which I didnt.

MMOC/PTFE fliipped.

Wickham Club Cola/Nivea superlather

Basically a repeat of last shave. Nice and close, very comfortable. The blade is a bit tired though. I did have some slight tugging first pass.

So I was at Target today and remembered to check to see if they had the Aveeno Positively Smooth shave gel. I was disappointed to see they didn't have it or so I thought. They had the Therapeutic shave gel with all the men's products. I continued down the aisle and surprisingly found the Positively Smooth gel in the mist of the lady's shave products.

It doesn't say anywhere on the can that it is a women's product. The Therapeutic gel has a dark blue cap and graphics, while the Positively Smooth gel has a light blue cap and graphics. Neither can says for men or women.

I will use the Positively Smooth and if I like it, I will continue to use it. I just found the placement of them interesting.

Then I got to thinking how the women shave gels measure up to the men's shave gels. So I'll be checking out some of the women shave gels in the future.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Then I got to thinking how the women shave gels measure up to the men's shave gels. So I'll be checking out some of the women shave gels in the future.

I used this is Wawa once lol.

668310.jpg

The water/cream ratio had to be exactly right or it was way too dry or way too wet. It was a very fine line. It worked pretty good but it did lack some cushion. The scent, naturally, was bright but it beat no soap.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just checking in to say hi, and I saw the ham on page 153 and hit the 'watch' button. :laugh:

That ham was good lol. 8 hours at 350F the first day. 4 hours at 300F the second day and 2 hours at 200F the third day. Then, it was really good.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you for writing this journal. I binge-read it over the past two weeks or so and it's been a relentless triumph of guided spirit that left no cheek unshorn and no ox ungored.

I particularly like that it reinforced the blessings for rigidity for specific tasks and techniques while not forever castigating flexible blades to the Bog of Eternal Stench (unlike a few soaps).

As your enablers supplied tales of their experiences, I read a diplomatically discerning mind pounce on each anecdote and vigorously seek data points.

Every time it appeared you found the ultimate shaving accoutrement and I felt the urge to throw money its way for a similar product, I held off to read the evolution either away from said goodie or deeper into its use (hides FaTip Grande behind RazoRock BlackHawk…).

That said, I not only wonder whether your reintroduction to tubes of Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream will remain constant, but also want to read about @rabidus' experiences with the less therapeutic Aveeno shave gloop.

Thanks for the phat stack of shaving knowledge you've brought and encouraged others to share.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thank you for writing this journal. I binge-read it over the past two weeks or so and it's been a relentless triumph of guided spirit that left no cheek unshorn and no ox ungored.

I particularly like that it reinforced the blessings for rigidity for specific tasks and techniques while not forever castigating flexible blades to the Bog of Eternal Stench (unlike a few soaps).

As your enablers supplied tales of their experiences, I read a diplomatically discerning mind pounce on each anecdote and vigorously seek data points.

Every time it appeared you found the ultimate shaving accoutrement and I felt the urge to throw money its way for a similar product, I held off to read the evolution either away from said goodie or deeper into its use (hides FaTip Grande behind RazoRock BlackHawk…).

That said, I not only wonder whether your reintroduction to tubes of Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream will remain constant, but also want to read about @rabidus' experiences with the less therapeutic Aveeno shave gloop.

Thanks for the phat stack of shaving knowledge you've brought and encouraged others to share.

Thank you for your eloquent elucidation. :)

I try very hard to tell it like it is and I dont mind eating my words at a later date if the time comes. Rigid blades rule for me, but thats not to say they would for everyone. I will say that for anyone that has a hard time shaving ATG, I'm confident in saying an improvement in blade rigidity will help.

I like to learn and understand. When someone suggests something that catches my eye, or mind, I explore it as fully as I can until I do understand and grasp it, in at least theory if not practice. Blade rigidity as one such idea, that I didnt understand fully until put into practice. It was quite literally an epiphany. My use of an R41 just cemented the whole concept for me. Its like comparing a Ferrari 458 to a Go Kart the difference is so great to me.

I'm still torn on buying a RR Black Hawk, the light weight is whats stopping me. Sure, I could put another handle on it, but then the balance wont be right. The balance of my Grande is absolutely perfect. I couldnt have set the balance any better myself.

I picked up a new tube of Nivea Sensitive the other day and used it for the first time yesterday. It has a thinner consistency to it than my old tube did and a more pronounced scent, although, still mild and unobtrusive. It will get used on every shave with my various soaps and creams. I dont see myself not using it, even at this still early stage.

I'll try the Aveeno too, as soon as I build up the courage to face the onslaught of The Great Herds of WalMart that I am, apparently, invisible too. They walk right into me or stand in the way without a care in the world, other than themselves.

Thanks for reading!

thombrogan

Weird about the change in the Nivea. First, no tubes of it for USA people and then a reformulation so people in other nations can’t overly enjoy their advantage.

While I can’t insist everyone try the aluminum RazoRock V2 BlackHawk that’s been keeping me away from the superfun/comfortable/effective FaTip Grande, the Italian Barber RazoRock peeps have a pre-order on an all-stainless RazoRock V3 Hawk. So that’s all steel, new and improved, and likely less expensive than other AC-format stainless SE razors.

Should you survive Walmart, I’d be interested in your experiences with Aveeno Therapeutic Shave gel. I expected more residual slickness, but probably did things wrong.

Going to try ShaverAZ’s ‘Cremogena Plus’ tonight. 1 tsp Cremo, 1 tsp Neutrogena Sensitive shaving cream, 5 drops glyceri.

Looking forward to reading your further adventures

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Truth be told, my old tube of Nivea is almost 3 years old so it may have dried out a bit but I have my doubts. I seem to need a little more product with the "new" thinner version but the performance is the same and for the price, I dont care.

I've read from several people that are pretty experienced with the Black Hawk that its a mild shaver. By "mild" I read inefficient. I dont like using razors that are less efficient than my Grande, so thats another reason I hesitate. My Bullet Tip is as efficient as my Grande yet smoother. My MMOC is twice as efficient as either and just as smooth as my Bullet Tip so my razor search has pretty much ended with it. Now however, I see ATT is offering 24k gold plating on some of their new razors, but its not an option yet on the SE1/2. Spending $50 on a razor I'm pretty sure I wouldnt be happy with will only slow my buying a gold SE1, should that option become available.

Walmart. I'm forced to go eventually, but I put it off as long as I possibly can lol.

Glycerin! I forgot about it when I was in the dry store the other day!

thombrogan

Mr. Whiskers’ Hawk is a rare, limited edition stainless steel V2 with a tungsten carbide film; the coveted Diamond-Like Coating (DLC); protecting it from everything except envy.

Should you forego the risk imposed by the stainless V3, are you certain the ATT SE1 (with a generous amount of gold plating, naturally) will trip your Artist Club format trigger? That Blackland Vector looks wicked smart and the Colonial General in stainless doesn’t instantly induce projectile vomiting.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mr. Whiskers’ Hawk is a rare, limited edition stainless steel V2 with a tungsten carbide film; the coveted Diamond-Like Coating (DLC); protecting it from everything except envy.

Should you forego the risk imposed by the stainless V3, are you certain the ATT SE1 (with a generous amount of gold plating, naturally) will trip your Artist Club format trigger? That Blackland Vector looks wicked smart and the Colonial General in stainless doesn’t instantly induce projectile vomiting.

Thats what DLC means. I didnt think stainless steel needed any further protection lol.

I do like the Vector, but I've been known to drop my razors now and then. Dont want to do that with a Vector. I've also looked at the general, but would rather one in Brass. The ATT SE1/2, from what I gather will do all I could expect any razor too do, and from what I gather, better than the Brass General. I crave efficiency but what I hear about the SE2 being too much of a good thing may be true. I dont like gap, but it doesnt seem to bother me as much in an SE as it does in a DE. A larger gap combined with the thicker SE blade might pose a hurdle.

The shape of the cap is the one thing I think about most, which would be less an issue, not that it really is an issue, with the Vector. I like the flat caps on my GEM's. They're there for a reason and they work. Even better on the MMOC than the Bullet Tip. Finding and keeping the angle shouldnt pose any bigger an issue than using my Grande, but I feel a bit spoiled by the shape of the GEM caps. Once learned, they're deceptively easy to use.

I was talking with my nephew not long ago and he mentioned thinking about another razor. He uses an MMOC too, and likes gold, it must be a familial trait haha. I told him to buy a gold SE1 when, if, they become available and forget about it. I should follow my own advice right, or is it do as I say not as I do? Hmmm...

thombrogan

I didnt think stainless steel needed any further protection lol.

Protection from scratches plus it lowers friction. 3xx stainless is hard to rust (just need a can-do attitude), but easy to scratch.

I like the flat caps on my GEM's.

I don’t see them advertised anymore, but there was the ATT G1 and G2. Maybe send a letter saying you’re part of BOSC and human progress is contingent on them some gold plated G1 and G2 razors for you?

Finding and keeping the angle shouldnt pose any bigger an issue than using my Grande, but I feel a bit spoiled by the shape of the GEM caps. Once learned, they're deceptively easy to use.

Here‘s hoping whichever ATT single-edged top cap and SE1 and SE2 plates you choose provide even greater follicle-obliterating joy than your GEM-platform blades provide.

I was talking with my nephew not long ago and he mentioned thinking about another razor. He uses an MMOC too, and likes gold, it must be a familial trait haha. I told him to buy a gold SE1 when, if, they become available and forget about it. I should follow my own advice right, or is it do as I say not as I do? Hmmm...

If Above The Tie’s open comb is as soothingly smooth as the one on the FaTip Grande, the SE2 in gold would be the one to have. And, yes, being able to follow one’s own advice would be so great.

Top Bottom