What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
What'd you think of this one, Rick? I thought it was kinda harsh.

Don

I went back to my two previous Untappd entries to see how I rated this one before responding. I rated it a 5 both times and I'm standing by it. I need a break from the barrel aged Porters and Stouts now and again, and, yes, there is a bitter chocolate/coffee bite, but I welcome it as a changeup. Cracked another one open this evening to confirm...

Bad call to end the hockey game last night is what is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth!

2014 Deschute's Mirror Mirror Barley Wine
IMG_20200213_191514.jpg

Heavenly.

Know any good sites? I was just looking around. I found this one for as little as 18-20 bucks but it was out fo stock. One place had it $44 but you have to buy 6!
Ohio has decent enough beer selection I don't order anything. Unfortunately I can't offer any information on sites. I would love to find more Mirror Mirror from different years. This was the last one I was able to find. Some of their other reserve series I have been able to find. They age marvelously.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ohio has decent enough beer selection I don't order anything. Unfortunately I can't offer any information on sites. I would love to find more Mirror Mirror from different years. This was the last one I was able to find. Some of their other reserve series I have been able to find. They age marvelously.

I hear ya. I’m pretty much in the sticks. The local places around here all have the same stuff (same distributor that makes the rounds). Plus it’s more of a “good ole country boy” area so they cater to their market. Cheap beer and cheap liquor. Finding obscure stuff is hard.

The wife and I usually celebrate Valentine's at 2am on the 15th when I finally get home from dinner service. Luckily I had today off. I made dinner tonight and I went through the cellar and grabbed the oldest bottles. Patience has paid off!
Deschute's The Dissident. A Belgian Brown Wild beer. Definitely not for everyone but we find it tasty. This is the oldest sampling I've had of it. It's calmed down nicely at five years of age. The wife enjoys these beers as much as I do. She helps buy beers to cellar too. We always try to buy two or three or more per vintage so we can cellar but so many big beers taste better after a year or two.
IMG_20200213_211702.jpg
IMG_20200213_211711.jpg

Local Earth Fair is going out of business. On almost empty shelf, I found a 4-pack of Dragon Milk 20% off.
Thick, sweet, vanilla. Long dark chocolate finish. Raised a glass to the demise of another of my favorite businesses.

A growler from Lake Mills, Wisconsin. Slowly knocking it down.
DSCN1070.JPG

Down N' Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. This brewery does the dark stuff very well.

Don

066F3B9E-4D15-471A-8A3C-AF3D417E82CA.jpeg

Sierra Nevada 40th Hoppy Anniversary Ale

Solid west coast IPA. Really cool to see them still cranking great beer out for this long.

You can get Clown Shoes down in Florida? I didn’t realize they distributed that far outside of New England.
This place gets great brews from the US and Europe. I didn’t realize until that night that Clown Shoes is a metro Boston brewery. Need to visit, along with Tree House, when I get back up there!

This place gets great brews from the US and Europe. I didn’t realize until that night that Clown Shoes is a metro Boston brewery. Need to visit, along with Treehouse, when I get back up there!
Yeah, they started out very small in 2009 or 2010 and contract brewed at Ipswich Ale Brewing (north of Boston). As of a couple years ago, they merged with (or maybe were acquired by) Harpoon. So now that I think about it, that partnership is probably what gave them greater distribution reach.

I really enjoy their stuff.

tried the Live oak Weizenbock by mistake... it's really good though.

proxy.php

The wife drove to San Antonio with my aunt last November for my cousin's school recital and I asked her to bring me back ALL the live oak hefeweizen she can find (i think the live oak hefeweizen is probably the best hefe i've had). She comes back with six 6 packs of that weizenbock (she confused hefeweizen with weizenbock. An honest mistake) and three 6 packs of the live oak pilz. I sold the pilz since i don't really like that style.

still have some KBS leftover, this stuff is liquid gold
proxy.php

After years of trying to get my hands on this i finally got it. Hands down the best damn IPA i've ever had.
proxy.php

I'm currently drinking the notorious p.o.g from Stone. It has passion fruit , oranges, guava. Very good beer, you can drink this all day.
proxy.php

Also. Texas has passed the Bill so that breweries sell their beer to go last august, so that's nice!

A bit of a rant here, but i really hate this Milkshake IPA trend lately. I honestly thought they called them "milkshake" beers because of the maltiness, not the lactose. The worst part is that they don't tell you sometimes... i found out later.

still have some KBS leftover, this stuff is liquid gold

I'm currently drinking the notorious p.o.g from Stone. It has passion fruit , oranges, guava. Very good beer, you can drink this all day.

Was the KBS aged, MrLara? I think ageing really helps.

The Stone looks good; like a rich, unfiltered orange juice!

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom