What's new

Beer of the Day - BOTD - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Untitled Art/ Hidden Springs Peanut Butter Cup Imp Stout. Smells much better than it tastes. Watery and way too sweet.

Untitled Art/ Hidden Springs Peanut Butter Cup Imp Stout. Smells much better than it tastes. Watery and way too sweet.

Haven't had too much luck with Untitled Art. They charge top dollar, and I still can't figure out what they're all about.

Here's their "website:" drinkuntitled - https://drinkuntitled.com/.

Apparently they're a collaborative effort between craft brewers and artists. I had a coconut cream pie stout from them once that was pretty decent, but most of their beers are way too sweet or over the top in ABV or bitterness. I like a website that provides some info; going to this one is like taking a stroll on a foggy, dark waterfront:001_huh:.

They do provide $15.00 six packs of sparkling water.....

Don

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Excuse my laziness, I took this photo with my computer.

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) Pure Brewed Organic Lager. Hands down the best lager I have ever tasted. It tastes clean if that makes sense. Pure is accurate. Just amazing.

Photo on 3-7-20 at 6.42 PM.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Haven't had too much luck with Untitled Art. They charge top dollar, and I still can't figure out what they're all about.

Another +1 on that. It always seems like many rave about them just because many want something to rave about. I haven't been able to get into their stuff, and the price point does not exactly entice me to try very often.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) Pure Brewed Organic Lager. Hands down the best lager I have ever tasted. It tastes clean if that makes sense. Pure is accurate. Just amazing.

I don't know if I can can go as far as "best lager ever," but it sure is a good one. There's not much from Samuel Smith that I don't like.

I don't know if I can can go as far as "best lager ever," but it sure is a good one. There's not much from Samuel Smith that I don't like.

In being fair to Jason, he never said that:001_smile.

There are better lagers out there, Jason. Trust me. Keep looking.

Don

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What would you consider the best lager ever?

That's really tough, man. "Lager" is so broad that it's like asking "what's the best piece of music written?" Just a few that come right to the top of my head:

Andechs Doppelbock
Spaten Premium (at least, that's what it's called in the US)
Ayinger Lager Hell
Ayinger Celebrator doppelbock
Ayinger Oktoberfest
Augustiner helles (I can't recall what it's actually called, right off the bat)
Saint Arnold 5 o'Clock Pils
Victory Prima Pils
Oskar Blues Little Yella Pils
Einbecker Ur-Bock Dunkel

I know I'm missing some big ones.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That's really tough, man. "Lager" is so broad that it's like asking "what's the best piece of music written?" Just a few that come right to the top of my head:

Andechs Doppelbock
Spaten Premium (at least, that's what it's called in the US)
Ayinger Lager Hell
Ayinger Celebrator doppelbock
Ayinger Oktoberfest
Augustiner helles (I can't recall what it's actually called, right off the bat)
Saint Arnold 5 o'Clock Pils
Victory Prima Pils
Oskar Blues Little Yella Pils
Einbecker Ur-Bock Dunkel

I know I'm missing some big ones.

Darn, none of those ring a bell from what I’ve seen in the stores around here.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Darn, none of those ring a bell from what I’ve seen in the stores around here.

I can't believe I left out Pilsner Urquell. I actually thought of it, but I just see that I left it off the list. If the Sammy Smith is around, I would like to think you could find Pilsner Urquell. If you ever get a chance to have unfiltered Pilsner Urquell (very, very rare outside the brewery in the Czech Republic), jump on it like a duck on a junebug!

Spaten Premium, Little Yella Pils, and Celebrator are fairly common, too, but that doesn't mean they are everywhere. I don't see Prima Pils around as much as I used to, which is a shame--same with any Augustiner (all excellent). Ayinger Oktoberfest is seasonal, so keep an eye out for it in the Fall (but Paulaner and Spaten brew theirs year-round). You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the Munich area lagers that are relatively common in the US: Paulaner, Spaten, Hacker-Pschorr. Weihenstephaner is another excellent, Munich area brewery, but you usually find only their (excellent) wheat beers. Unfortunately, Augustiner beers are very limited in the US, and Andechs is even more so. Come on down here, and I can set you up with an Andechs doppelbock (and also their excellent weizen)! Einbecker (from Einbeck) is pretty dadgum limited, too.

Saint Arnold is a Houston-based regional, so I'd be shocked if you could find it up there. Victory (Pennsylvania) and Oskar Blues (Colorado/Texas) are far more widespread, so you might have a shot there.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I can't believe I left out Pilsner Urquell. I actually thought of it, but I just see that I left it off the list. If the Sammy Smith is around, I would like to think you could find Pilsner Urquell. If you ever get a chance to have unfiltered Pilsner Urquell (very, very rare outside the brewery in the Czech Republic), jump on it like a duck on a junebug!

Spaten Premium, Little Yella Pils, and Celebrator are fairly common, too, but that doesn't mean they are everywhere. I don't see Prima Pils around as much as I used to, which is a shame--same with any Augustiner (all excellent). Ayinger Oktoberfest is seasonal, so keep an eye out for it in the Fall (but Paulaner and Spaten brew theirs year-round). You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the Munich area lagers that are relatively common in the US: Paulaner, Spaten, Hacker-Pschorr. Weihenstephaner is another excellent, Munich area brewery, but you usually find only their (excellent) wheat beers. Unfortunately, Augustiner beers are very limited in the US, and Andechs is even more so. Come on down here, and I can set you up with an Andechs doppelbock (and also their excellent weizen)! Einbecker (from Einbeck) is pretty dadgum limited, too.

Saint Arnold is a Houston-based regional, so I'd be shocked if you could find it up there. Victory (Pennsylvania) and Oskar Blues (Colorado/Texas) are far more widespread, so you might have a shot there.

That one does ring a bell. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the Pilsner Urquell. I’ve also had the Paulaner and Weihenstephaner Hefe-Weizen and both were excellent.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@Toothpick, I mentioned the hefeweizens, but they aren't lagers. Strictly speaking, they are ales. However, they really are their own animal. They sure are good, no matter what they are!

Pilsner Urquell is the original Pilsner. It's tasty and loaded with history.

Central Waters Brewing in Wisconsin has found a niche in barrel aged brews. They're potent and almost never are harsh.

DSCN1073.JPG

Aged about a year. Had some sediment, but it didn't really bother me. Very low on the whiskey-like burn that often comes with a barrel aged beer.

Don

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I got a few new beers to try in the coming weeks. What I’m looking most forward to is the Goose Island. It says it ages in the bottle over 5 years. So I bought 2 of them. 1 to drink now and 1 to save for about 4 years.

334954B0-44E0-4AA3-8374-5CA622CD1320.jpeg

A74F7EB9-6B4C-41BB-BD67-7DD0B9DD1538.jpeg

C44E5CF2-25EB-4130-BBEB-AC820868D45C.jpeg

AC47435C-B642-4650-BAAB-5FD0DCADD47F.jpeg

Popped into a local taproom for a break from being cooped up at home. Tried a few things, this one’s the Arrow Lodge Brewing “Hopdouken” hazy DIPA
B859C27B-FC0D-4529-B53A-20EF20E1AB05.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom