What's new

How do you hold your brush!?!?

Just sharing old observations watching professional barbers performing their craft.
All are free to use or disregard the information.
If one person can get another shave or 20 out of a brush they love my work is done.
Enjoy your brushes and shaves my brothers.

Right, but the difference is that when I’m shaving myself I can feel in my face how much I’m splaying or stiffening the bristles when just holding the handle. I imagine if I were shaving someone else I wouldn’t have that feel and would need to control the brush with my fingers. Especially if I used long-loft brushes, which I do not. So I can definitely see why a barber would need to do this. But I’ll be all right keeping the soap off my fingers. I haven’t actually killed a brush yet.

Well, Nork should be Semogue territory shouldn't it ... lots of Portuguese folks there.
Mariza's concert at the NJPAC was packed with them, great atmosphere.:thumbup1:

Back to topic:
I guess a professional barber would never ever spent that kind of money on an item that simply gets "used up" like we are typically discussing here on B&B. They'd probably roll their eyes if you mention "Manchurian 2-band"
:em2100:
They get a box of cheap brushes from professional barber supplies.
e.g.

And whatever they get, they will make it work. If the brush has a high loft and is floppy then supporting the hairs with the fingertips might be needed to have some control to maneuver it around in the customer's face.

And yeah, I prefer 2-bands with a good backbone and handles from natural materials.
No fingertip support needed for my brushes:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Well, Nork should be Semogue territory shouldn't it ... lots of Portuguese folks there.

Back to topic:
I guess a professional barber would never ever spent that kind of money on an item that simply gets "used up" like we are typically discussing here on B&B. They'd probably roll their eyes if you mention "Manchurian 2-band"
e.g.

And whatever they get, they will make it work. If the brush has a high loft and is floppy then supporting the hairs with the fingertips might be needed to have some control to maneuver it around in the customer's face.

And yeah, I prefer 2-bands with a good backbone and handles from natural materials.
She really is talented! I'mimpressed not only by her, but the musicians that she works with, the Spanish/Classical guitars are amazing!
Not sure who was the manufacturer of the brushes in the barber shops back then, or from whom they were purchased. But I will say, some of THE BEST FOOD I HAVE EVER EATEN WAS ON OR OFF OF FERRY STREET IN PORTUGUESE RESTAURANTS!

My mother got out of the Army after WW II and decided to move from Washington D.C. to New York. Well, the conductor said, "Next stop Nor ork" in Penn Station, and she got off the train. She found a job and a place to live before she found she was in the wrong city, so she stayed.

By the way, she was drafted into the Army. Her first name was Frances, and she got "greetings from the President," so she went and they took her.
That is a very cool story!!! Now I have sooooooo many questions!? She was certainly there when lots of members of my family was there. Did she ever have hotdogs at Ralphs at Independence Park or JJs or Tony's at Branchbrook Park? Italian Hotdogs from Dicky Ds or Rutts Hut? How about the San Genero Festivals?
You're bringing back lots of memories. 😊

Back to topic:
e.g.

I follow. Do you think the quality of the boar brushes, back in the day, for professional use were as good or better than the onestoday?

Isn't it something to go to a barber for a shave, sit in the chair and have a wondrous experience of comfort, relaxation and joy!
And then read here that most believe they are cheap, inexpensive boar brushes.
What does that tell you my friends!?
I'm curious, I'd like to hear from all ages, especially those that went as children, with their fathers or grandfather's or anyone that can relate to what I'm saying.
Peace.

That is a very cool story!!! Now I have sooooooo many questions!? She was certainly there when lots of members of my family was there. Did she ever have hotdogs at Ralphs at Independence Park or JJs or Tony's at Branchbrook Park? Italian Hotdogs from Dicky Ds or Rutts Hut? How about the San Genero Festivals?
You're bringing back lots of memories. 😊

I went to Rutt's Hut one time. There was a great Italian Hotdog place in Belleville called the B&T. I saw John Kennedy speak from the balcony in Newark City Hall. I saw the Ten Commandments in Lowe's Theater. I used to go to Olympic Park.

My father grew up in a duplex on Summer Ave.

I went to Essex Catholic HS. from 67-71.

I lived in Belleville. Nutley, the town next to us, was the first town to pass pooper-scooper laws.

Last edited:
I went to Rutt's Hut one time. There was a great Italian Hotdog place in Belleville. I saw John Kennedy speak from the balcony in Newark City Hall. I saw the Ten Commandments in Lowe's Theater. I used to go to Olympic Park.
No ****! I know all these places.
My Pop used to play baseball at Roseavelt Stadium. He was a catcher for the Newark Bears, he knew Yogi! Yogi and Phil Rizutto used to have a mens clothing shop on Ma in st. Or Martin Luther King Blvd. We left Newark not long after the riots in the 60s and moved to Parsippany.

I went to Rutt's Hut one time. There was a great Italian Hotdog place in Belleville called the B&T. I saw John Kennedy speak from the balcony in Newark City Hall. I saw the Ten Commandments in Lowe's Theater. I used to go to Olympic Park.

My father grew up in a duplex on Summer Ave.

I went to Essex Catholic HS. from 67-71.

I lived in Belleville. Nutley, the town next to us, was the first town to pass pooper-scooper laws.
Dickie Ds, Rutts Hut and Jimmy Buffs.

Lemme guess, you missed my point. ☺
Ok, I missed your point. Which one?

...My point is, I remember ALL the Barbers holding the brushes NOT BY THE HANDLE BUT WITH THE HANDLE CRADLED IN THEIR PALM WITH THEIR FINGER TIPS HOLDING THE HAIRS THEMSELVES.
Their fingers would always get the lather on them and they would wipe it on the side of your face or on his towel and continue to fill my Pops face till he looked like Santa. All this, of course, after my Pop haD that hot steamy towel taken off to soften his beard.
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS!?
No, I don't remember this. I have never been to a barber for a shave and never will. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. Anyway, I read about it some time ago and tried it with several brushes, including the one "professional" style boar with a high loft from Omega. The same results every time I did, and I said to myself "wrong way to do it". Mind you, I never shaved anyone else in my life, let alone 20-30 people a day. So, I have no idea why barbers hold a brush that way.
The fact that "Their fingers would always get the lather on them and they would wipe it on the side of your face or on his towel" makes me think it is possible they have been doing it wrong since forever, and no one dared to tell them. You know, just because they are "Italian barbers" and they must know best.:laugh:
Was this your point?

Or maybe this:
...One of my points is, I see sooooooo many videos of guys lathering their faces while holding just the handle and then complaining or throwing criticisms on how the brush is to floppy or splays to much.

Ummmm, try holding the brush like old professional Italian barbers from Down Neck, Nork, NJ. and it may clear up that problem. It's the way my Grandfather, Pop and I hold it...
"ALL the Barbers" at "Down Neck", your Grandfather, Pop and yourself have floppy brushes so you have to grab the brush by the knot to compensate.
Good advise I believe, for anyone in that situation, instead of ranting online about their floppy brushes.
I think I got it now.

...Just an old observation and habit to share...
Good advice, thanks for sharing.
No roasting from me.

No ****! I know all these places.
My Pop used to play baseball at Roseavelt Stadium. He was a catcher for the Newark Bears, he knew Yogi! Yogi and Phil Rizutto used to have a mens clothing shop on Ma in st. Or Martin Luther King Blvd. We left Newark not long after the riots in the 60s and moved to Parsippany.

My mother used to go to Bears games. I used to go by the Rizzuto Berra bowling alley once in a while, but never went in.

I was there when Shea Stadium opened in 1965. I recall Yogi didn't like Harmonicas in 64. I was at the John Glenn tickertape parade in 62. My mother went to Times Square on VJ day.

Did you ever go to the ice skating rink in the old reservoir?

Life was different then.

Last edited:
My mother used to go to Bears games. I used to go by the Rizzuto Berra bowling alley once in a while, but never went in.

I was there when Shea Stadium opened in 1965. I recall Yogi didn't like Harmonicas in 64. I was at the John Glenn tickertape parade in 62. My mother went to Times Square on VJ day.

Life was different then.
Yes, life was different then.
My Pop coached Baseball at Newark College of Engineering/NJIT for over 20 years as the pitching coach.
He was at the dedication for Yogi's museum at Montclair State.
I remember the bowling alley, Pop rolled there Many a time. He had at least a half dozen bowling balls when he past at 81, 10 years ago. Newark was different back then. Life was different back then.
A barber shop was different back then.
I remember.

Did you ever go to the ice skating rink in the old reservoir?

Life was different then.
The FIRST pro baseball game I ever saw was at Shea Stadium, 1970. I was 11 almost 12. Tom Seaver pitched the whole game against Pittsburgh, we had seats first deck up in right field, I watched the whole game staring at Ron Swobada and Roberto Clemente! Clemente was killed the next year with exactly 3000 hits. I'll never forget that game or being at Shea.
It's gone now. So is Yankee Stadium.

Yes, life was different then.
My Pop coached Baseball at Newark College of Engineering/NJIT for over 20 years as the pitching coach.
He was at the dedication for Yogi's museum at Montclair State.
I remember the bowling alley, Pop rolled there Many a time. He had at least a half dozen bowling balls when he past at 81, 10 years ago. Newark was different back then. Life was different back then.
A barber shop was different back then.
I remember.

Wow, my brother was on the NCE baseball team somewhere around 65 to 67. Then he went to work at McDonald's in Belleville because it paid better.

First, I do recall barbers using that method of holding a shaving brush. My father also used that method and I did when I first started shaving. The reason I was told was that it was to expel some of the lather held in the brush. However, back then the shaving brushes were much smaller and you could easily cradle the brush.

Second, I worked in Newark NJ for five years. One of our favorite lunch places was a restaurant called Hobbies.

Rut's in Clifton brings back some great memories. Loved the Ripper they served there. The first time I heard that they deep fried a hot dog I thought that was crazy. But it sure was good.

The Ironbound section sure had some good Spanish and Portuguese restaurants in it. The Spanish Tavern and Fornos were among my favorites.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
First, I do recall barbers using that method of holding a shaving brush. My father also used that method and I did when I first started shaving. The reason I was told was that it was to expel some of the lather held in the brush. However, back then the shaving brushes were much smaller and you could easily cradle the brush.

Second, I worked in Newark NJ for five years. One of our favorite lunch places was a restaurant called Hobbies.

Rut's in Clifton brings back some great memories. Loved the Ripper they served there. The first time I heard that they deep fried a hot dog I thought that was crazy. But it sure was good.

The Ironbound section sure had some good Spanish and Portuguese restaurants in it. The Spanish Tavern and Fornos were among my favorites.

We had a couple of B&B meet-ups in Rutt's Hut - great rippers!! First time I met Jim and Ouch there, as well as BrianW and Dunedinranger...we should do this again this year!!

BTW, I hold my brush by the handle, thats why it is called handle....otherwise, you just would need a knot....But, I know some guys that cradle their brush and hold it pretty much by the hairs, having the handle inside their palm.

Top Bottom