What's new

How do you hold your brush!?!?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Isn't it something to go to a barber for a shave, sit in the chair and have a wondrous experience of comfort, relaxation and joy!
And then read here that most believe they are cheap, inexpensive boar brushes.
What does that tell you my friends!?
I'm curious, I'd like to hear from all ages, especially those that went as children, with their fathers or grandfather's or anyone that can relate to what I'm saying.
Peace.
Last time I had a shave at the barber was about 25 years ago in Manhattan, and I still remember how awesome it was. Back then they were still using straight razors and a strop that hung on the barber chair, best shave ever. They also used the straight for your neck hair when you got a haircut back then. I can still remember the smells of the old time barber shop.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
The FIRST pro baseball game I ever saw was at Shea Stadium, 1970. I was 11 almost 12. Tom Seaver pitched the whole game against Pittsburgh, we had seats first deck up in right field, I watched the whole game staring at Ron Swobada and Roberto Clemente! Clemente was killed the next year with exactly 3000 hits. I'll never forget that game or being at Shea.
It's gone now. So is Yankee Stadium.
I used to go to Shea Stadium all the time in the 70's, great times. I was also there for the last Monday Night football game ever played there that ended with a riot! It was madness and wonderful at the same time. Lol

I remember as a young boy, back in the mid 60's, going with my father to the Italian barber shop, "Down Neck", around Independence Park, in "Nork", New Jersey.
For those uninitiated, "Down Neck" is the Ironbound section of Newark, NJ. Pronounced, "Nork"! Or If you lived there, "Freaking Nork!"
My point is, I remember ALL the Barbers holding the brushes NOT BY THE HANDLE BUT WITH THE HANDLE CRADLED IN THEIR PALM WITH THEIR FINGER TIPS HOLDING THE HAIRS THEMSELVES.
Their fingers would always get the lather on them and they would wipe it on the side of your face or on his towel and continue to fill my Pops face till he looked like Santa. All this, of course, after my Pop haD that hot steamy towel taken off to soften his beard.
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS!?
One of my points is, I see sooooooo many videos of guys lathering their faces while holding just the handle and then complaining or throwing criticisms on how the brush is to floppy or splays to much.
Ummmm, try holding the brush like old professional Italian barbers from Down Neck, Nork, NJ. and it may clear up that problem. It's the way my Grandfather, Pop and I hold it.
Just an old observation and habit to share.
Now go ahead and roast me. 😎
I believe it was an Italian barber that called it the barbers pinch. I use it on one of my brushes.

DB5A2801-CD84-437F-B310-B7640513BCBA.jpeg

no pinky no class.

...ALL the Barbers holding the brushes NOT BY THE HANDLE BUT WITH THE HANDLE CRADLED IN THEIR PALM WITH THEIR FINGER TIPS HOLDING THE HAIRS THEMSELVES... DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS!?

No, not ever. In Wyoming and Montana everyone of the barbers my Mom dragged me to in the 4 towns we lived used the big brushes for whisking away hair. That was it. Shorter brushes for distributing lather. All trimming was with the straight.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I never paid attention to how I hold my brushes (I have several in various sizes). As long as I get a nice lather that's all that matters to me.

The old timers held tall brushes that way, I think, because they had to choke up on them to reduce the inherent floppiness of the very tall "professional" boar knots.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

ItalianFlag.Proraso.640.4-18.JPG

Unless the knot is very tall it doesn't matter in my hand, but I have to choke up a bit on one or two. The Proraso Pro, on the right, is not one of these; mine has a reasonably low loft and a ton of backbone. I like the Italian Flag. The handle is way above the Omega norm. It's kinda fun to use, but it's floppy. Choking up helps a lot in my experience with it.

I've not been to New Jersey except traveling to Manhattan. My wife occasionally educates me and anybody interested in the pronunciation of various town and cities. One is yours, particularly as opposed to a spelled-the-same place in Delaware.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom