What's new

How do you hold your brush!?!?

I remember as a young boy, back in the mid 60's, going with my father to the Italian barber shop, "Down Neck", around Independence Park, in "Nork", New Jersey.
For those uninitiated, "Down Neck" is the Ironbound section of Newark, NJ. Pronounced, "Nork"! Or If you lived there, "Freaking Nork!"
My point is, I remember ALL the Barbers holding the brushes NOT BY THE HANDLE BUT WITH THE HANDLE CRADLED IN THEIR PALM WITH THEIR FINGER TIPS HOLDING THE HAIRS THEMSELVES.
Their fingers would always get the lather on them and they would wipe it on the side of your face or on his towel and continue to fill my Pops face till he looked like Santa. All this, of course, after my Pop haD that hot steamy towel taken off to soften his beard.
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS!?
One of my points is, I see sooooooo many videos of guys lathering their faces while holding just the handle and then complaining or throwing criticisms on how the brush is to floppy or splays to much.
Ummmm, try holding the brush like old professional Italian barbers from Down Neck, Nork, NJ. and it may clear up that problem. It's the way my Grandfather, Pop and I hold it.
Just an old observation and habit to share.
Now go ahead and roast me. 😎

I guess it depends on the brush. If you feel you have to hold the brush by the hairs, either your brush is really old and is asking you let them retire (lol) or doesn't have a lot of backbone.

Either way, we do what we have to to get it done and that's what most of the old barbers did.

EDIT to correct spelling of which, I stink at.

I guess it depends on the brush. If you feel you have to hold the brush by the hairs, either your brush is really old and is asking you let them retire (lol) or doesn't have a lot of backbone.

Either way, we do what we have to to get it done and that's what most of the old barbers did.

EDIT to correct spelling of which, I stink at.
I hear you, shaving 20+ guys a day with the same brush, I'm thinking their technique was a way to give the brush it's longest life.

I use the handle, but I still get soap all over my fingers. Barbers might hold the bristles since they’re not applying to their own face and might backhand it when brushing across the customer‘s face. Otherwise he’d have to walk from one side to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would come down to a combination of the brush in question, and the individual gentleman in question (or gentlewoman, It’s 2020 after all). I’ve never shaved another man’s face, but I’m sure that would matter as well. When I‘m loading the brush I tend to use my thumb, pointer, and middle finger on my right hand. Just so I have a firm grip, and I can also maintain good control of the bristles just enough to load it properly. If I’m going for a face lather I tend to do the same as loading when I’m getting that scrub daddy action going on. Except, when I begin to “paint” my face. I’ll switch to a middle finger, and thumb grip (right hand). Sometimes I’ll subconsciously use my ring finger to assist, but I’ll never use my pointer finger when “painting”. It tends to work well for me. I have only dropped my brush 2-3 times in the last 5 years since I switched to wet shaving. But hey if that way of holding the brush works for that gentleman in question, or yourself, Who cares? As long as you enjoy your shave. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
I never paid attention to how I hold my brushes (I have several in various sizes). As long as I get a nice lather that's all that matters to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Barbers might hold the bristles since they’re not applying to their own face and might backhand it when brushing across the customer‘s face. Otherwise he’d have to walk from one side to the other.
That's similar to the technique that I used to shave my Dad when he was in the hospice. Standing on the right side of the bed, facing him, I could easily lather his left cheek with the brush (Omega 10066, sometimes a 10005) in my right hand with a standard grip (just fingers on the handle).

But I couldn't access the left side of the bed to lather his right cheek because that side was cluttered with IVs, monitors, and other gadgets. I tried to lean across and use the brush with my left hand, but it felt awkward. So, I stood by the head of the bed with my right arm above his head, resting on the pillow. I'd palm the handle, choke up on the knot with my fingers, and just rotate my wrist. That style of grip gave me more control with my arm extended out like that.

Interestingly, I could shave his right cheek with my left hand without any trouble. I suspect that using a Tech helped to keep any irritation at bay. Well, he never complained of any irritation. I think he was just happy to get a real shave.

That's similar to the technique that I used to shave my Dad when he was in the hospice. Standing on the right side of the bed, facing him, I could easily lather his left cheek with the brush (Omega 10066, sometimes a 10005) in my right hand with a standard grip (just fingers on the handle).

But I couldn't access the left side of the bed to lather his right cheek because that side was cluttered with IVs, monitors, and other gadgets. I tried to lean across and use the brush with my left hand, but it felt awkward. So, I stood by the head of the bed with my right arm above his head, resting on the pillow. I'd palm the handle, choke up on the knot with my fingers, and just rotate my wrist. That style of grip gave me more control with my arm extended out like that.

Interestingly, I could shave his right cheek with my left hand without any trouble. I suspect that using a Tech helped to keep any irritation at bay. Well, he never complained of any irritation. I think he was just happy to get a real shave.

You said it mich better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting question!

I have seen videos with barbers holding the bristles as you describe. The brushes look like boars with long loft. So holding the hairs together would provide better backbone and, likely more control.

I hold my brushes by the handles. But my brushes are generally badgers with good backbone!

At least that is how I put things together!

Interesting question!

I have seen videos with barbers holding the bristles as you describe. The brushes look like boars with long loft. So holding the hairs together would provide better backbone and, likely more control.

I hold my brushes by the handles. But my brushes are generally badgers with good backbone!

At least that is how I put things together!
Exactly my point! Especially when you're using the brush for multiple shaves per day. I'm curious to know how longThose old long loft boar brushes stayed in a professional environment rotation. I have no doubt that this technique will give the brush a longer life. That and more control of how the head of the knot is effectively used. Want it tighter? Choke up to the top, want more splay? Move down to the handle. Makes sense to me that it would increase the life of the brush, by how many shaves? I'm not sure.
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop!? YMMV.

No roasting from me.
A shaving brush has a knot and a handle. It is called a handle for a reason. Can you guess? :biggrin1:
There is no right or wrong, hold the brush so it’s comfortable in your hand. Different brushes/handles encourage different grips.

Do what works...
I never paid attention to how I hold my brushes (I have several in various sizes). As long as I get a nice lather that's all that matters to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Lemme guess, you missed my point. ☺
As you can see, most of us don't think about it

Grab it, hold it, use.

Don't overcomplicate it. It's just shaving.

Just sharing old observations watching professional barbers performing their craft.
All are free to use or disregard the information.
If one person can get another shave or 20 out of a brush they love my work is done.
Enjoy your brushes and shaves my brothers.

My mother got out of the Army after WW II and decided to move from Washington D.C. to New York. Well, the conductor said, "Next stop Nor ork" in Penn Station, and she got off the train. She found a job and a place to live before she found she was in the wrong city, so she stayed.

By the way, she was drafted into the Army. Her first name was Frances, and she got "greetings from the President," so she went and they took her.

Top Bottom