What's new

Worst Wet Shaving Product You’ve Ever Bought?

For me anything from L'occitane that they think is good for shaving. Cade soap? Will not lather, actually it will lather like a beast but airy puffy lather that smells kidna nice and it burned my skin. Their after shave balm was no better...nice scent and pleasant texture but it burned so much I had to rinse it off if my have was anything but perfect. If I felt slightest tingle from alum on my face it was better for me to just skip that balm. Offtopic but only product from them that I didn?t get a reaction is their deodorant stick go figure.

I also made a mistake with Wilkinson soap in blue dish and their synthetic brush, both plain awful and should be made illegal

I did chew my face up with Erbe TTO razor, I found it in Müller, could be just user error because this thing has MASSIVE blade gap

I could not stand scent of Williams

Dr. Harris Marlborough cream would lather only if I took 10 min, didn't work my brush too fast or hard and first I needed like 5 min to make dry paste and then work DROP BY DROP of water in it

TOBS Rose cream would make only thin lather

Bottega Verde shave soap (italian cosmetics brand) smells nice but I suspect olive oil is keeping it from developing lather, I could not even wash my hands with it it was so hydrophobic, their synth brush OTOH is superb

I’m actually glad you guys posted this. As that is a pretty razor with some rave reviews

I’m given to understand that it works most effectively with Feather blades and isn’t too useful with anything else. Which makes sense for a couple of reasons, but IMO you hate to get locked into the manufacturer’s blade just to get any use from the razor.

I’m given to understand that it works most effectively with Feather blades and isn’t too useful with anything else. Which makes sense for a couple of reasons, but IMO you hate to get locked into the manufacturer’s blade just to get any use from the razor.
It comes with Feather blades. I’ll be hard pressed to ever use those again, too.

That would make a lot of sense. A more mild razor designed for the sharpness of feather blades

When cruising eBay or aliexpress, ever notice those small white pucks of shaving soap from China for about $2?
I ordered one. When I opened the wrapper, the sickeningly sweet scent (stench) was overpowering. I thought maybe it just needed lathering. Nope. Made it worse. I threw it outside in the trash. It did an excellent job of keeping the squirrels out of the trash. Matter of fact, most of the woodland critters and birds buggered off too. I think it was supposed to be bay rum scent.
I called the scent "Highschool Rum Vomit". Ahhh memories...

RazoRock XXX shave soap. The scent reminded me of the powdered hand soap you’d find in a high school bathroom. Just awful. It landed up in the bin.

This is the only soap I've had that collapsed in on itself and dissolved to mush. I IG'ed about it and Razorrock replied, saying I'd left the soap wet. Not so, I always dry out my soaps, having rinsed them with cold water after use.

I think the most disappointing item I ever bought was a Merkur Progress. This was my first adjustable and I really wanted to like it, as my Merkur 34C is one of my favourite razors. I tried it on several of its settings but could not get a good shave. The blade feel on the more aggressive settings was more evident than on my R41. I then made the terrible mistake of taking it apart to clean it.

"It's easy - just pull out the bottom clean it and refit it." I said to myself. Not a chance. Hours later and several bent tools I manage to get the handle back together. My efforts were not helped by my arthritis but still it was a complete nightmare. After all that, the shaves became even worse and I ended flinging it out, vowing never to buy another adjustable.

Rockwell R1 razor I found on sale at Winners for $10cdn. Cut the crap out of my face. I feel sorry for the guy I pifed it to - same results. Should have thrown it out.
Rockwell R1.jpg

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
For me in my opinion, the Van Der Hagen (Weishi) TTO razor, blades, and shaving soap were the worst I ever bought.

When cruising eBay or aliexpress, ever notice those small white pucks of shaving soap from China for about $2?
I ordered one. When I opened the wrapper, the sickeningly sweet scent (stench) was overpowering. I thought maybe it just needed lathering. Nope. Made it worse. I threw it outside in the trash. It did an excellent job of keeping the squirrels out of the trash. Matter of fact, most of the woodland critters and birds buggered off too. I think it was supposed to be bay rum scent.
I called the scent "Highschool Rum Vomit". Ahhh memories...
That’s pure comedy lol I love this Thread. It ages like fine wine 😂

I found a locally made puck of "shave soap" at Whole Foods. I was intrigued by the name (Loup Garou) and because it was made here in New Orleans. It was terrible. absolutely impossible to lather and then my skin reacted to it. Burned like hell.

I found a locally made puck of "shave soap" at Whole Foods. I was intrigued by the name (Loup Garou) and because it was made here in New Orleans. It was terrible. absolutely impossible to lather and then my skin reacted to it. Burned like hell.
Hopefully it wasn’t too expensive! Lol I’d be mad as hell

Top Bottom