What's new

Worst Wet Shaving Product You’ve Ever Bought?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I was very disappointed in Pinuad Classic shave soap. I believe they introduced it a few years ago for the very first time. The scent was weak and the soap quality was poor. It went straight in the trash.

I was the same with the Wilkinson sword stick worked great but felt sick using on the wife’s legs the stink is so strong

The Wilkie stick is still on my todo list. I'm glad to hear it performed well, but how would you describe the scent? Was it unpleasant in itself or just way too strong?

The AS-D2 works well for some people. It's very well-made. It's also very expensive considering you can achieve about the same or better shaving performance by mounting a vintage Gillette Tech pre-war head on a stainless or brass handle.

Here's my $16 AS-D2 equivalent -- a savings of $150 or so.

View attachment 1056696
Close, but no cigar.

Gotta use the POST-WAR head on a stainless handle. The post-war Tech head and the Feather AS-D2 head are almost identical. I experimented by putting the post-war Tech handle on the Feather handle and by putting the AS-D2 head on the fat-handle Tech handle. Shave was the same to me.

Pre-war Tech geometry is slightly different; more aggressive, less blade support. Feels different and shaves different.

I do agree, however, with the general idea that you can make what in essence is a Feather AS-D2 using a Tech head and a nice handle. Where we disagree is that I love the post-war Tech head AND the Feather AS-D2. I think both are fine shavers.

Close, but no cigar.

Gotta use the POST-WAR head on a stainless handle. The post-war Tech head and the Feather AS-D2 head are almost identical. I experimented by putting the post-war Tech handle on the Feather handle and by putting the AS-D2 head on the fat-handle Tech handle. Shave was the same to me.

Pre-war Tech geometry is slightly different; more aggressive, less blade support. Feels different and shaves different.

I do agree, however, with the general idea that you can make what in essence is a Feather AS-D2 using a Tech head and a nice handle. Where we disagree is that I love the post-war Tech head AND the Feather AS-D2. I think both are fine shavers.
Perhaps so, I'll have to try that combination using a post-war Tech. The pre-war Tech is what I have on hand ATM, and I really do like the way it shaves. I didn't actually set out to exactly duplicate an AS-D2. Experimenting with different handles is just for fun, but this combination seemed especially good.

The simplicity and low cost of the Tech are a big part of its appeal. They were manufactured in huge numbers, yet with good quality. That makes a very expensive razor that shaves the same seen somewhat ironic.

The Wilkie stick is still on my todo list. I'm glad to hear it performed well, but how would you describe the scent? Was it unpleasant in itself or just way too strong?
It smells like bath soap, with a marine scent. I would consider it unremarkable and artificial, not unpleasant. If you remove the foil wrapper and leave it out for a few days, the scent gets much less strong.

The performance is where this stick stands out. It is a tallow-based soap with extra glycerin plus lanolin. Imagine a shaving stick that combines some of the best qualities of MWF and Tabac, with a generic scent and an electric blue color.

Oh, and a Parker badger brush. It was a floppy shedder. Not my cup of tea. At all.

x2. I’ve bought a few cheap junky items that were just that and I got exactly what I PIF for with a few gems mixed in. I bought a Parker badger brush off Amazon that was by no means an expensive, high end brush, but priced to where I expected quality and longevity. It was neither.

I've been pretty much happy with everything I own except Viking Revolution sandalwood cream and my Parker pure badger brush. For $9.99 on Amazon I should of spent the extra $2 and have gotten TOBS sandalwood cream. The cream performs alright just the scent is horrible It smells like ancient old lady perfume. I much prefer Proraso sandalwood scent more masculine and rustic. My Parker badger brush lathers up creams and soaps like a boss but feels like it's made of needles when face lathering. I've relegated it to strictly bowl lathering and painting when I want a warm lather.
proxy.php

Sent from my 6062W using Tapatalk

SheaMoisture African Black Soap Men's Shave Butter Creme, 6 Ounce. I bought this on clearance from Walmart and used it once. It had the consistency of a paste and wouldn't lather. At least the plastic jar works well for using soap pucks.

I only used creams the first couple of years. My first soap was EJ Lime. Scent was good, but I couldn’t get it to lather to save my life. I finally used it in the shower. Several years later, I keep thinking it must have been me and I’ll toss in an EJ soap into my shopping cart one of these days. It can’t be that bad, can it?

You know that old man aftershave that isn’t old spice they all used it as some point it was that and it was so over powered like crazy.

In my short time as a wet shaver:
  • Gabel's Bay Rum because it doesn't last very long. It smells okay at first.
  • H&S Co. 24mm Barber Pole Synth brush -- it feels too large in my hand and on my face
  • Barberry Coast Bay Rum Pre-shave oil -- it burns my face a bit. Smells nice.
I'm still in the trial and error phase of things but those are the things I dislike at the moment.

a co worker gave me a puck of Baume.Be luckily I didn't pay for it, but it was the worst product I've ever used and I gave it back to him and let him know he needed to get his money back.

I also spent $1.87 on a puck of williams that I couldn't get to lather no matter what I did.

Top Bottom