What's new

Anyone a one pass guy ?

I fine tuned my soap and water ratio. No way I am going to do single pass with all that goodness on the brush.
Technically, I could have had a good shave in one pass, acceptable for any occasion. But I like the process, so not going to deny myself this simple pleasure.

One pass if I am really rushed. I prefer to enjoy 3-passes most every day, and I try to make the time!

I've always been a one pass guy. If I do 3 passes, my face feels like it's on fire. So, I acquired the most efficient razor I could find (R41) and I do one ATG pass. BBS every time. And, my face feels ok afterwards cuz it was only one pass and I use top notch lather from B&M or other such artisan soaps.

I do one pass with touch up along the jaw line. That is whether I use a straight, shavette or DE. I have a lot of problems with ingrown hairs and this makes a big difference for me. I still get a great shave without the issues.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I was a one pass shaver this morning (time demanded it) Paired a new Feather blade with my Blackbird OC plate. DFS+++

I lather one time and shave ATG with as many strokes needed to achieve BBS. ATG for me is south to north in most areas, but also east/west and west/east in some areas. I only use razors that hold the blade extremely rigid. Rigidity makes all the difference! BBS is a must every shave for me.

I cannot stop without going until BBS, and the biggest reason for that is that in my submandibular triangle (ie, where the "double chin" would be, below the jaw but above the neck), my hair grows out of the skin at such a shallow angle that it's essentially coming out parallel to the skin. Couple that with the fact that I'm very fair skinned and that my facial hair is nearly black, if I don't go directly ATG in the submandibular triangle, it looks like I almost completely forgot to shave that area. Would be nice to be able to get away with just a one pass shave or finishing XTG once in a while there, but frankly it's not possible without looking very unkempt.

And here we find what I think is the real reason multiblade razors dominate the market, almost everyone can get by on one pass with them. When I was using one I could and did. I got what I thought was an acceptable result with acceptable comfort. Now that I wet shave with a DE, I always go three passes but always with a BBS result, the process is far smoother and more comfortable and measurably better post shave feel.
But for the general population quickness and convenience win out.
Canned foam over soap and brush
Multiblade over a DE or straight.

On work days, 1 pass face and head as that’s all I have time for. That’s the main reason I went with a slant. It keeps me within work requirements the 3 days I work, quickly and easily.

I still use the slant the rest of the week but do multiple passes for a wonderful BBS for my time with the Missus.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

And here we find what I think is the real reason multiblade razors dominate the market, almost everyone can get by on one pass with them. When I was using one I could and did. I got what I thought was an acceptable result with acceptable comfort. Now that I wet shave with a DE, I always go three passes but always with a BBS result, the process is far smoother and more comfortable and measurably better post shave feel.
But for the general population quickness and convenience win out.
Canned foam over soap and brush
Multiblade over a DE or straight.
I hear what you are saying, but for me it doesn't really work that way. One pass with a Mach 3 produces a fairly close, smooth shave that is definitely acceptable, but I can get the same results with one pass with my Colonial General or my Fatboy, for example.
When I switched to DE, I was no longer satisfied with the shave I got with one pass of a multiblade cartridge, so I started doing multiple passes, but not because one pass wouldn't suffice but because I was no longer happy unless I got CLOSER than what I got with one pass using a multibladed cartridge.
Now I've decided I should be happy with that, and have thus gone back to one pass. But I defy anybody to get a closer shave with one pass of a Mach 3 than I can get with one pass with the Colonial General or my Feather SS shavette.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I hear what you are saying, but for me it doesn't really work that way. One pass with a Mach 3 produces a fairly close, smooth shave that is definitely acceptable, but I can get the same results with one pass with my Colonial General or my Fatboy, for example.
When I switched to DE, I was no longer satisfied with the shave I got with one pass of a multiblade cartridge, so I started doing multiple passes, but not because one pass wouldn't suffice but because I was no longer happy unless I got CLOSER than what I got with one pass using a multibladed cartridge.
Now I've decided I should be happy with that, and have thus gone back to one pass. But I defy anybody to get a closer shave with one pass of a Mach 3 than I can get with one pass with the Colonial General or my Feather SS shavette.

It's many years since I used a cartridge razor, but I certainly got better results with DE too. It wasn't just the closeness of the first pass, but the fact I could actually take another pass without causing my face serious problems, either through post shave irritation or ingrown hair.

For me the answer is definitely NO.
My beard is coarse and there are always areas that just doing one pass on just doesn’t get all the stubble. My jawline always needs at least one more pass . I like and enjoy BBS shaves all the time! It’s just my habit.

I'm generally a one passer, using an ATT R1 baseplate, which is aggressive enough for me. When I used the M1 baseplate, I would do two passes. Either is enough for me to be just fine at work or elsewhere - I don't have much of a beard, and my skin is fairly sensitive. On my occasional uses of my Gillette Tech or Aristocrat, I still usually do just one pass, unless for a special occasion when I'll do two. Two passes gets me as close as I'll ever get to BBS.

With the razors I use I could be a one pass guy as they all leave me very close after the first pass. It’s hard to walk away at that point though and the shave doesn’t feel complete unless I do a second pass.

I know my face pretty well now and I can shave in 1 pass/lather if the soap is good, the razor is mild but efficient, and I shave daily. I just don’t do this often simply because I don’t shave every day. I aim for a DFS since BBS is nearly impossible for me to do without irritation.

Top Bottom