What's new

Can only handle one pass

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As long as you re-lather before the second pass... follow your face/whisker map... light pressure as you stated, you should be good, I would think. You aren't a novice so I'll bet your technique is good enough that you'll do fine.

The neck area can be tricky for some people... My trickiest area is around my chin and the chin itself... If I had a beard, they wouldn't be an issue.

Our youngest son does exactly what you do... He used barber razors, both half blade DEs and AC razors. And he uses a Mergress I gave him too... Cleans up his cheeks and neck as you do. Now, get this.. he shaves dry... I gave him a nice, small badger brush and a couple nice shaving soaps... but he hates the clean up so he shaves dry. I can't imagine doing that but he manages with no cuts, nicks or irritation.... Bless his little heart. <eg>

I was wondering if my second pass can be with the grain, or would that not be doing anything?
If you do that, keep it to yourself because if the shaving police find out they might arrest you.

Just kidding.

2xWTG with AS-D2 and Bic Chrome is what I do. For me, it definitely does something. After one pass I’m SAS, after 2 passes I’m CCS/DFS. And I get audible feedback there’s cutting going on.

And same as you if I go XTG or ATG, I get irritation everywhere except the cheeks.

Good morning! I've always been a one pass shaver, but have tried doing a second pass the past couple shaves, but always get irritation. i’ve tried across the grain and against the grain, both yielding irritation. I was wondering if my second pass can be with the grain, or would that not be doing anything?
Multi pass shaving isn't for everyone. I almost always do a one pass shave. I'll check afterwards to see if there are any high spots and I'll touch up but I rarely do the two/three pass thing. I tried it a couple of times when I first started DE shaving but it's not for me. I ended up with mildly irritated skin and there wasn't any advantage for me.

Multi pass shaving isn't for everyone. I almost always do a one pass shave. I'll check afterwards to see if there are any high spots and I'll touch up but I rarely do the two/three pass thing. I tried it a couple of times when I first started DE shaving but it's not for me. I ended up with mildly irritated skin and there wasn't any advantage for me.
Good to hear I'm not the only one. I see guys doing so many passes (and quickly) on YouTube, I thought I had to be doing something wrong.

Just used my Feather Artisan DX Shavette two days ago and got some irritation on my neck, but I suspect it was from the lather being a little too wet, my fault for not taking the time to build a better lather. I will try it again with a better lather, otherwise I think my best shave is the R41 with a feather for the neck, and then using the Feather Artisan DX for my cheeks (I have a short beard). I was able to get such a clean line on my cheeks with the shavette!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Just used my Feather Artisan DX Shavette two days ago and got some irritation on my neck, but I suspect it was from the lather being a little too wet, my fault for not taking the time to build a better lather. I will try it again with a better lather, otherwise I think my best shave is the R41 with a feather for the neck, and then using the Feather Artisan DX for my cheeks (I have a short beard). I was able to get such a clean line on my cheeks with the shavette!
I know I'm repeating myself, but our youngest son does that too... He trims the cheek line with a barber razor of some sort... He has half blade and AC blade barber razors... and in his case, he uses the Mergress XL I gave him a while back. He was using a Merkur 38C for his neck line, but he likes the Mergress a bit more.

He's the one who got me into wet shaving, but when I give him a new razor or other wet shaving gear, he looks at his wife and they both roll their eyes... LOL I guess he thinks he created a monster... and I guess he did.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Yeah I wait 3 to 5 days between shaves
I have to admit that I don't fully understand this. If you are essentially in need of a shave most of your week why do you need a second pass? I wonder if you wouldn't do better with a one pass daily shave with a milder razor - but my confusion is my problem and you should do what makes you happy.

I still think your razor/blade combination could be the reason you're having trouble with the second pass. You might want to try one shave with a milder razor where you don't actively try and remove all the hair, just keep the best razor angle you can and use very light pressure. Do the same thing on the second pass and see if you're happy with the results.

I'd interpret that as don't fully dry the skin, try to keep it wet, I'm guessing as to keep the skin prepped for another pass.

But the shaving cream/soap usually has stuff like Coconut oil/Shea butter/tallow/etc. that takes care of re-moisturizing the skin?

Also, would rinsing with cold water contribute to fully drying the skin? I was under the impression really hot water has that effect (of drying) but not cool/cold water.

I usually rinse between passes, which is why I'm asking. Of course, sometimes I rinse with cool water because of nicks and that helps.

But the shaving cream/soap usually has stuff like Coconut oil/Shea butter/tallow/etc. that takes care of re-moisturizing the skin?
Those oils, fats and waxes doesn't not remain as such after reaction with lye. There is only a small remnant left of them. This is why soaps can be drying. The maker of the soap can choose to leave more or less of the fats, but especially commercially made soap there is very little fats left. More is left over in artisan soaps normally.

You’re using an aggressive razor with the sharpest blade. First thing I’d do is ditch the Feather. Too sharp. Maybe try a Personna Lab Blue that works well on most faces. And I’d stay away from a shavette.

I’d use milder equipment and try an XTG pass and see how it goes.

Back in the day no one did more than a single WTG pass. It was socially acceptable then and, no doubt, would be so today.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Good morning! I've always been a one pass shaver, but have tried doing a second pass the past couple shaves, but always get irritation. i’ve tried across the grain and against the grain, both yielding irritation. I was wondering if my second pass can be with the grain, or would that not be doing anything?
A second WTG pass is definitely worth trying. It won't be a waste of time.

Those oils, fats and waxes doesn't not remain as such after reaction with lye. There is only a small remnant left of them. This is why soaps can be drying. The maker of the soap can choose to leave more or less of the fats, but especially commercially made soap there is very little fats left. More is left over in artisan soaps normally.

Thank you for the explanation! Much appreciated! :thumbup1:

Going forward, I will consider not fully rinsing unless I absolutely have to!

Yes! Definitely try a second WTG pass. You may actually find you can do an XTG pass after a second WTG pass.

You’re using an aggressive razor with the sharpest blade. First thing I’d do is ditch the Feather. Too sharp. Maybe try a Personna Lab Blue that works well on most faces. And I’d stay away from a shavette.

I’d use milder equipment and try an XTG pass and see how it goes.

Back in the day no one did more than a single WTG pass. It was socially acceptable then and, no doubt, would be so today.

So would you suggest a milder razor in addition to milder blade? I'm wondering if even a mild blade in an R41 is still too much?

Minimize the variables. Trying a whole bunch of razor/blade combos before mastering technique won't do you a whole lot of good. It took me about 6 months when I first started to get it down.

I suffered from RAD early on. It's not the razor.
Agreed, but I feel this is a little different. I have a DE89, which as I'm sure you know is on the mild side, especially compared to my R41 (which is a 2011 or 2013). Plus I use feather blades. I'm thinking of using the R41 for WTG and then try the DE89 XTG. If that doesn't feel good, I'll try a milder blade in the DE89. Any recommendations for a milder blade? Persona, Astra, etc?

Agreed, but I feel this is a little different. I have a DE89, which as I'm sure you know is on the mild side, especially compared to my R41 (which is a 2011 or 2013). Plus I use feather blades. I'm thinking of using the R41 for WTG and then try the DE89 XTG. If that doesn't feel good, I'll try a milder blade in the DE89. Any recommendations for a milder blade? Persona, Astra, etc?
Those are all good choices for blades. I personally like Shark Chrome and Polsilver Super Iridium.

A very mild blade would be Dorco and possibly Derby. I personally can't use either blade. Very rough shave. Try sticking to one blade for several shaves (preferably like a week). It'll help you dial in and see what works best for you. 1 pass is fine until you nail down the technique.

Last edited:
You can always get a blade sampler.

*Edit: was going to recommend tryablade but looks like they are no longer in business.

Several wetshaving websites offer blade samplers.

It'll aid in finding what works best for you.

Those are all good choices for blades. I personally like Shark Chrome and Polsilver Super Iridium.

A very mild blade would be Dorco and possibly Derby. I personally can't use either blade. Very rough shave. Try sticking to one blade for several shaves (preferably like a week). It'll help you dial in and see what works best for you. 1 pass is fine until you nail down the technique.
I've nailed down my technique with a very aggressive safety razor and sharp blade, as well as my Feather Artisan DX shavette with pro blade, but yes, I have a lot to learn in terms of XTG and especially ATG. But I guess I should take your advice and use a milder blade for the whole shave. Thank you, I will report back!

Top Bottom