What's new

Cartridge vs. DE Shaving

See bolded. Multi blades may remove hair more "easily", but "better" is a subjective opinion. There is significant evidence to show a single blade, used properly will provide less irritation for the same level of hair removal as a multi-blade.

Probably has nothing to do with the manufacturers simply stopping the shipment of everything BUT cartridge razors to most of the world, right? Marketing is done for a reason, as we all know, and those shareholders are prickly about their ROI.
DE never left every where in the world, it was just relegated to the bottom dusty shelf because hardly anyone was buying it.

There are several reasons why carts are so popular, and they may not have to do with getting a comfortable and good shave. In the past, there was very little information available for DE shaving. When I was DE shaving before carts became available (pre 1972), I had nicks, and irritation had no idea on proper technique. Went to carts, due to easier shave.
However, at that time, the DE razor options and information were limited. I just picked up a DE razor and blades from supermarket or pharmacy. I bought the cheapest razor, blades and canned shaving cream. When I tried lathering, I bought a cheap brush and soap that came in a nice looking tub. I had no information on what to buy. The stuff I used was pitiful compared to current products and information availability.

Starting in the 70s, The Gillette company threw tons of marketing dollars into cartridges. They changed the perception of shaving. They made it easy, they made it cool. They also made it more difficult to find DE razors and blades, in contrast to carts which were readily available at all the stores. They created a paradigm shift.

If the profitability was there, Gillette and others would have thrown marketing dollars at electrics and that would have become the most popular shavers. They too are easy to use, are comfortable and require little technique. I believe the popularity of carts have more to do with marketing than any perceived improvement over DE.

Now due to greater availability and information due to forums, videos and better tech, DE is making a comeback. Now you can find options both online and in brick and mortar stores. What is occurring is a revival of DE shaving because it provides a better and more comfortable experience.

Hey, I'm a prime example, switching back to DE shaving last year.
There is no DE revival, go back to posts from 2008 and they were saying the same thing. A few artisan DE makers knocking 10000 razors a year is not a revival.

I have never used a modern razor in my life (cart or disposable) until the ridiculous TSA rules became standard (I fly a lot for work).
My remarks:

Modern razors are too SLOW,I need 5 minutes for a four pass DE shave and at least 7 minutes for a four pass cart shave,that is because modern razors clog and need constant rinsing.

Modern razors are ineffective,in order to remove the same stubble that I remove with a single DE pass I need to go over the same area three or four times with a modern razor.I
don't get irritation because of this but it is frustrating and again SLOW ( still I understand that someone with sensitive skin might get irritation because running a blade over your skin a thousand times surely isn't the best practice).

Modern razors look like tennis shoes,to damn ugly.

I....demand a FAST and effective daily BBS shave.

That's why I have been a DE /Canned foam shaver since 1980 (the year I started to shave)

Last edited:
...Multiblade cartridges reduce the number of passes needed! (Think that people agree on that?)
and on and on....
If we define "passes" as the number of times a blade is drawn across the skin, the multiblade cartridge cannot help but to increase passes.

I have never used a modern razor in my life (cart or disposable) until the ridiculous TSA rules became standard (I fly a lot for work).
My remarks:

Modern razors are too SLOW,I need 5 minutes for a four pass DE shave and at least 7 minutes for a four pass cart shave,that is because modern razors clog and need constant rinsing.

Modern razors are ineffective,in order to remove the same stubble that I remove with a single DE pass I need to go over the same area three or four times with a modern razor.I
don't get irritation because of this but it is frustrating and again SLOW ( still I understand that someone with sensitive skin might get irritation because running a blade over your skin a thousand times surely isn't the best practice).

Modern razors look like tennis shoes,to damn ugly.

I....demand a FAST and effective daily BBS shave.

That's why I have been a DE /Canned foam shaver since 1980 (the year I started to shave)
What modern cart do you use that clogs?

Had to return to a Mach 3 in addition to my travel Sensor Excel due to eye surgery, put away my DE and Feather Straight for a month. Guess what? I continued to get extremely close shaves with the Mach 3, using just a little varied technique. Took the same amount of time for shaves. For me, wet shaving is simply proper prep and proper technique, no matter what razor I use.

Had to return to a Mach 3 in addition to my travel Sensor Excel due to eye surgery, put away my DE and Feather Straight for a month. Guess what? I continued to get extremely close shaves with the Mach 3, using just a little varied technique. Took the same amount of time for shaves. For me, wet shaving is simply proper prep and proper technique, no matter what razor I use.
Well said.

If we define "passes" as the number of times a blade is drawn across the skin, the multiblade cartridge cannot help but to increase passes.
Thanks for proving my point lol.
So if you posted in a thread about doing a 3 pass shave you could be saying you did one manual pass with a 3 blade cartridge?

If the three blades aren't providing the shaver with the same effect as when they do a second and third pass with their single edge, they aren't going to agree with the multiblade efficiency argument.

As with many things in shaving, YMMV.

I can't speak for Razorcan, of course, but in my own experience: I never went higher than three blades, but I never used one that didn't clog. Gillette, Schick, and various lesser brands.
So which modern cart? I wouldn't call a cart designed in 1998 modern, as I wouldn't call a car from 1998 modern.

What modern cart do you use that clogs?

The one that I use when traveling is the BIC metal and it is the one the clogs the least.
I have tried a Mach 3 (disaster) and a Gillette Blue 2 (a bit better).

The BIC metal is at least more effective,I don't need to shave multiple times over the same area to remove stubble.

Both the Mach 3 and Gillette 2 are ineffective.

None of the above allow me to do a four pass shave of half of my face in 2 minutes without rinsing like my DE does.

Well said.
+1

One of the last times I tried a cartridge I think my lather was too thick. I'm so out of practice with them I would probably need a few more shaves to get the desired results.

The one that I use when traveling is the BIC metal and it is the one the clogs the least.
I have tried a Mach 3 (disaster) and a Gillette Blue 2 (a bit better).

The BIC metal is at least more effective,I don't need to shave multiple times over the same area to remove stubble.

Both the Mach 3 and Gillette 2 are ineffective.

None of the above allow me to do a four pass shave of half of my face in 2 minutes without rinsing like my DE does.
None of the above are in the slightest bit modern. The Bic Metal is from the early eighties or late seventies.

None of the above are in the slightest bit modern. The Bic Metal is from the early eighties or late seventies.

Anything that isn't a DE or SE and made of plastic is modern in my book.

I also tried a Fusion because they gave it to me in a supermarket for free.

Even more horrible as far as inefficiency and clogging.Not to mention that I could not shave under my nose because the thing was larger than my actual upper lip...

But the Bic metal is fine for traveling at least it is efficient ,cheap and fits under my nose.

Anything that isn't a DE or SE and made of plastic is modern in my book.

I also tried a Fusion because they gave it to me in a supermarket for free.

Even more horrible as far as inefficiency and clogging.Not to mention that I could not shave under my nose because the thing was larger than my actual upper lip...

But the Bic metal is fine for traveling at least it is efficient ,cheap and fits under my nose.
So what of DE and SE made of plastic?
The Gem Feather Weight and the Gillette Knack?

I used the original single-edged BIC disposables in high school, upgraded to a DE for college, then used the Atra "System" forever. The Atra cartridges weren't that bad, blade-wise: I think they were really fine twin blades. But I was ambivalent about the plastic head they were in that wobbled on the handle. The shaving results were good, if not particularly comfortable--I'd get a kind of quickly subsiding irritation.

And lube strips are just nasty. :001_unsur

I started DE shaving in 1989. Around that time, I used a DE, disposables, and cartridge razors, and I would use them all the same way. One pass, against the grain. I used a Gillette TTO DE that I bought new at the local drugstore, so it was very mild, and I also used to use the Gillette Good News disposables and the Gillette Sensor cartridge razors. Shaves took the same amount of time regardless of the razor I used. I ended up using the DE much more frequently because blades were cheaper and it delivered what I thought was the best quality results of the three razors.

More recently, I've tried the Gillette Fusion and the Schick Hydro, mostly because I got them for free. I still have the Hydro hanging around. Honestly, they are nowhere near as efficient for me as an efficient DE razor like an R41. The cartridges clog frequently and they all struggle with my coarse whiskers. I get a much better shave when I use a shallow blade angle, especially against the grain, and that isn't even adjustable with any cartridge I've ever used.

I used to hate shaving. These days, I still wouldn't say that I like it, but I certainly don't hate it. The improved results I get from an efficient DE razor make shaving much more worthwhile to me.

So what of DE and SE made of plastic?
The Gem Feather Weight and the Gillette Knack?

No idea ,I have only used three razors in my whole life.

The sixties Fatboy my father passed down to me when he taught how to shave from 1980-2000,a Merkur 34c that I brought in Berlin when I emigrated there,and forgot my Fatboy back home,from 2000-2017 and a Fatip picolo my wife bought me two years ago.

Top Bottom