What's new

Cartridge vs. DE Shaving

I had to whittle the end of a toothpick thin to get in there and de-crud cartridges.
That's why I favor the Vector two-blade cartridges that fit the Atra handle; there is a plastic thing you can push from behind to clear out anything that gets in between the blades. I remember this device being introduced somewhere around 1979 (at least in Japan, where I was living at the time). I don't know why they got rid of it in all the other cartridges, but it remains in the Vector. Also, the green lubrication strip of the Vector is 100 times better than all other lube strips before or since; it doesn't get slimy, it doesn't get gummy, it doesn't turn to powder and fall apart when it's dessicated.......it doesn't have any real downside at all. Additionally, the blades themselves are sharp and smooth. As cartridge razors go, the Vector is the absolute pinnacle, as far as I'm concerned.

If you like the Atra razor, I'd highly recommend looking into trying it with Vector cartridges, if you haven't already.

That's why I favor the Vector two-blade cartridges that fit the Atra handle; there is a plastic thing you can push from behind to clear out anything that gets in between the blades. I remember this device being introduced somewhere around 1979 (at least in Japan, where I was living at the time). I don't know why they got rid of it in all the other cartridges, but it remains in the Vector. Also, the green lubrication strip of the Vector is 100 times better than all other lube strips before or since; it doesn't get slimy, it doesn't get gummy, it doesn't turn to powder and fall apart when it's dessicated.......it doesn't have any real downside at all. Additionally, the blades themselves are sharp and smooth. As cartridge razors go, the Vector is the absolute pinnacle, as far as I'm concerned.

If you like the Atra razor, I'd highly recommend looking into trying it with Vector cartridges, if you haven't already.
I tried those when they first came out and got less than stellar results. Toothpick worked much better.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I never have used a cart . . . but Gillette Good News disposables sure do clog up quickly. Nonetheless, they are very convenient for air travel. (Bics not so much. Those things are grim.)

When I was using carts. i did try Harry's. It was the last cart. I tried before moving onto DE. It was the best cart. I had tired, and provided a close shave. But, it constantly clogged up. Also, it was not a comfortable shave. The Mach 3 was more comfortable but did not shave as close. I found shaving Nirvanna when I moved onto DE razors.

I never have used a cart . . . but Gillette Good News disposables sure do clog up quickly. Nonetheless, they are very convenient for air travel. (Bics not so much. Those things are grim.)

Interesting. I very first time I shaved (at 15) was with a Good News--a good rough scraping. I switched to BIC a week later: I could tolerate those until mature, overnight stubble got to be too much for them to handle (if shaving close enough) without irritation. I've tried Good News again, every now and then. My assessment at 15 was correct. :001_302:

I found shaving Nirvanna when I moved onto DE razors.

I did too, then lost it when the blades disappeared around 1990. It didn't occur to me that the internet could supply DE blades until about 10 years ago--then I got it back!

Reviving an old thread... I’m not new to wet shaving (I’m 48? Have been using carts for years) but only recently switched to SE (Supply) and now DE (trials with mild and slant razors). I can honestly saw that for my thick whiskers, SE was better. I’m having a rough time so far with DEs... lots of tugging and irritation with the Astra, despite shower and good lather. Today’s shave with the iKon X3 and a Rapira Swedish Supersteel was just awful, way too much tugging. I gave up on my third ATG pass and used the Mach 3 and felt good about the decision. It was smooth, effortless, painless. I’m not giving up yet; will try the iKon with a Feather blade and will purchase another SE razor (likely the Vector). All this to say, the Mach 3 works for me, and is a great backup shave.

Reviving an old thread... I’m not new to wet shaving (I’m 48? Have been using carts for years) but only recently switched to SE (Supply) and now DE (trials with mild and slant razors). I can honestly saw that for my thick whiskers, SE was better. I’m having a rough time so far with DEs... lots of tugging and irritation with the Astra, despite shower and good lather. Today’s shave with the iKon X3 and a Rapira Swedish Supersteel was just awful, way too much tugging. I gave up on my third ATG pass and used the Mach 3 and felt good about the decision. It was smooth, effortless, painless. I’m not giving up yet; will try the iKon with a Feather blade and will purchase another SE razor (likely the Vector). All this to say, the Mach 3 works for me, and is a great backup shave.
Mach 3 very smooth shave, if I were to stop using straight razors,I would most likely use a cartridge razor vs a de razor. Just my opinion

I’ll play in the zombie thread. I started out in the 90s on the old school white plastic bic disposables my father used. I didn’t know any better, so I used them. They were horrible! I kept scruff and only shave about twice a week due to discomfort from shaving. I tried my brother’s Trac II, and it was better but not by much. I finally found something semi comfortable in the Mach 3.

when I started DE shaving (primary goal was to save money over expensive Mach 3 carts), I quickly found that the shave was better, irritation was lower, and the experience was more enjoyable. In 2019, due to a military deployment, I again went back to carts for convenience. My face looked rough as heck the entire time. now? Give me a straight. After that, a good DE.

I cannot use Rapiras or Astras .If I want a smoother shave without irrritation and tugging I have to use Personna red ,Perma Sharp super (gold) German Wilkinson sword,Nacet loaded in a Rockwell 6s.Seems to me sharpness is everything.

When I started shaving, your choices were ,Straight, DE, or SE, there were no carts. But when they did come out, I did try them but always returned to DE/SE shaving after a few shaves with carts that caused Ingrowns, razor burn and irritation, it was the same result with 2 to 5 blade carts and the cost of using carts is much higher than traditional shaving. If we are minimalist with a 1 razor setup in the medicine cabinet, wet shaving in so much cheaper than a Cart shaving setup but if we are Hobbists with large shave dens then traditional wet shaving can get expensive. Until I joined B&B I was a minimalist and am slowly trying to go back. (I hope)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Many years ago, I also started out with cartridge/disposable razors. My neck suffered terribly. I hated to shave because of it and would shave every 3 to 4 days going as long as I could before my facial hair made me look unkempt. To be honest, I probably didn't know what I was doing with those back then either. But it's really only in the last three years that I've gotten into a groove with double edge wet shaving. And it's thanks to these forums that that happened. Now I enjoy the heck out of shaving in the AM. The results are generally superb and it's become something I find joy in. But I still remember the days when it was a hated chore and the results were bloody, painful and irritating.

Well carts might have 1 neuro-physiological technical improvement over DEs as pointed out in the ad of the Spishak cartridge razor*.
But on a more serious note, I can summarize the pros of each kind of razor:

carts
+ quick
+ hard to cut yourself
+ easily available

DEs
+ more control over shaving closedness. Need a BFS? Get a DE with good blade exposure and do multiple passes. Suffer from ingrowns? Get a mild DE and do 1 pass, see the WebMD article on shaving and sensitive skin for more info
+ better for allergic people - no gel and rubber strips (note all SS blades contain nickel, both DE and cart blades)
+ more luxurious offers
+ more ecological due to less (plastic) waste
+ most debatable: long-term savings. +1 of you have at most 1 shaving tool of each kind (razor, brush, etc)

*Mach 20 Razor - https://madtv.fandom.com/wiki/Mach_20_Razor

I cannot use Rapiras or Astras .If I want a smoother shave without irrritation and tugging I have to use Personna red ,Perma Sharp super (gold) German Wilkinson sword,Nacet loaded in a Rockwell 6s.Seems to me sharpness is everything.

Thank you for these suggestions. Are any of these sharper than the Feather New Hi-Stainless? It worked well on my iKon X3 slant today. Wondering whether I should “settle” or try these others?

Thank you for these suggestions. Are any of these sharper than the Feather New Hi-Stainless? It worked well on my iKon X3 slant today. Wondering whether I should “settle” or try these others?
Personna ,Nacet ,Perma sharp super and wilkinson sword are all sharp blades and for me as sharp as feather.I just think I have tough stubble and require a really sharp blade.The last time I used a Rapira lux it felt like it was not cutting and i dumped it and put a Personna in and finished off the shave ,night and day blades for me .Astra has the same effect.A few samples are cheap try some.

Carts are easy imho that is it. Make it high tech and man love it more.

For me carts are out, multi blades and lubra strips irritate my skin.

But a pivot se head is an easy peasy no brain involved shaver and I like my Broman, oneblade core and focus dynamic r48!

But I still enjoy a good de to keep proper technique and that closer zen shaving feeling.
And I know I will shave better with other razors by doing that.

Now would I try a single or double blade no lubra strip cart on a Gillette handle? Yes I would nice holiday shaver and tsa compliant.
Oh and jetlag hangover safe...

I’ll play in the zombie thread. I started out in the 90s on the old school white plastic bic disposables my father used. I didn’t know any better, so I used them. They were horrible! I kept scruff and only shave about twice a week due to discomfort from shaving. I tried my brother’s Trac II, and it was better but not by much. I finally found something semi comfortable in the Mach 3.

when I started DE shaving (primary goal was to save money over expensive Mach 3 carts), I quickly found that the shave was better, irritation was lower, and the experience was more enjoyable. In 2019, due to a military deployment, I again went back to carts for convenience. My face looked rough as heck the entire time. now? Give me a straight. After that, a good DE.
A straight, cartridge and de in that order, for me.

When I started shaving, your choices were ,Straight, DE, or SE, there were no carts. But when they did come out, I did try them but always returned to DE/SE shaving after a few shaves with carts that caused Ingrowns, razor burn and irritation, it was the same result with 2 to 5 blade carts and the cost of using carts is much higher than traditional shaving. If we are minimalist with a 1 razor setup in the medicine cabinet, wet shaving in so much cheaper than a Cart shaving setup but if we are Hobbists with large shave dens then traditional wet shaving can get expensive. Until I joined B&B I was a minimalist and am slowly trying to go back. (I hope)
Amen to that

Top Bottom