What's new

Cartridge vs. DE Shaving

I used a cart when all shaving meant to me was a daily necessity I wanted to complete in as little time possible. Now I shave to enjoy the experience, & to treat myself.

So which modern cart? I wouldn't call a cart designed in 1998 modern, as I wouldn't call a car from 1998 modern.
Clogging of multi-blade cartridges/disposables is an inconvenience I dealt with from about 1978 through 2016. Several times per shave, I would unclog with a thin-whittled toothpick and crack on. Whether you consider them modern or antique is your choice. If Gillettcetera have now solved the clogging problem, I congratulate them.

I didn't seek out alternatives to them because of clogging, I sought out alternatives because of the outrageous prices of cartridges and the absurdity of the proliferation of redundant blades.

I didn't think we were speaking historically, I was referring to contemporary shavers. I am sorry if that wasn't clear.

I started out shaving with a Gillette Slim in'63, (still use it) after I got my technique perfected I got great smooth irritation free shaves every morning. When a new Cartridge razor came out and tried them, weather it be a Gillette or Schick 2 to 5 blade razor I always got irritation, razor burn and ingrown hairs, mostly after the second or third shave (always cleaned cart after each shave) They may be easier and faster to use but not for me. I think I'll stay with my old way of shaving.

I checked out prices at Kroger today.

A five pack of Gillette Sensor blades came out to about $3 per cartridge!

My Personna Blue this morning was probably 19 cents.

There is no DE revival, go back to posts from 2008 and they were saying the same thing. A few artisan DE makers knocking 10000 razors a year is not a revival.

That is because Shave Jesus has not appeared yet. He will gather his disciples and make us fishers of men.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have used DE razors, SE razors and Cartridge razors and received great shaves from most of them. I used Cartridge razors for most of my life and now mainly use DE but will use Cartridge razors when I feel like it. Some of us like DE razors, some of us like SE razors, some of us like Cartridge razors and some of us like Straight Razors. Some of us like using all different types of razors. Lets just use what razors we like shaving with and enjoy the morning/evening ritual.

I have used DE razors, SE razors and Cartridge razors and received great shaves from most of them. I used Cartridge razors for most of my life and now mainly use DE but will use Cartridge razors when I feel like it. Some of us like DE razors, some of us like SE razors, some of us like Cartridge razors and some of us like Straight Razors. Some of us like using all different types of razors. Lets just use what razors we like shaving with and enjoy the morning/evening ritual.

Amen.

Shaved with a cart for the first time in 6 months the other day due to being in a hurry. Really made me realize how much I love my DE! Did it get the job done? Yes. Was it efficient? Yes. But it wasn't near as enjoyable. Shave wasn't as close, and there was much tugging.

Shaved with a cart for the first time in 6 months the other day due to being in a hurry. Really made me realize how much I love my DE! Did it get the job done? Yes. Was it efficient? Yes. But it wasn't near as enjoyable. Shave wasn't as close, and there was much tugging.
I really don't think any cart razor is designed with 6 months growth in mind :oops:...

Methinks Sabre is a cartridge shaver, which is fine. Seems like too much protestation, though.

As time has gone on, I've become more and more convinced that I should do what pleases me and not worry about what other people do. Grow a beard, shave with a cart, shave with an electric, shave with obsidian? Whatever. Suit yourself.

I use DEs, SEs, AC razors, cartridge razors, injectors, straight razors, and shavettes. Yes, all of the above. I enjoy the variety. Of all those modalities of shaving, I happen to dislike carts the most, but that's just me. I own two Atras and a Gillette Guard, and I use each of them occasionally, especially when travelling. Cartridge razors are not the devil. I just like other types of razors better.

Methinks Sabre is a cartridge shaver, which is fine. Seems like too much protestation, though.

As time has gone on, I've become more and more convinced that I should do what pleases me and not worry about what other people do. Grow a beard, shave with a cart, shave with an electric, shave with obsidian? Whatever. Suit yourself.

I use DEs, SEs, AC razors, cartridge razors, injectors, straight razors, and shavettes. Yes, all of the above. I enjoy the variety. Of all those modalities of shaving, I happen to dislike carts the most, but that's just me. I own two Atras and a Gillette Guard, and I use each of them occasionally, especially when travelling. Cartridge razors are not the devil. I just like other types of razors better.
Sabre uses everything from DE since 1991, Techmatics since Saturday, Feather AC disposable straights, sifters with cabinet blades, shavettes, Durham Duplex and Weck, injectors, Gems SE, modern SE including AC or Core, oh and carts...

I tried real straights and they were too much hard work...

Nailed it.

Was it efficient?

With multi-blade carts I suggest there is another consideration for efficiency.

The stubble that quickly collects under the blades, rendering the blades useless until rinsed out?

And how easy is it to rinse it out? Probably not very. I always had to tap cartridge razors on the edge of the sink to dislodge the crud. Vigorously.

My DEs? They rinse off easily with cold water.

Was it efficient?

With multi-blade carts I suggest there is another consideration for efficiency.

The stubble that quickly collects under the blades, rendering the blades useless until rinsed out?

And how easy is it to rinse it out? Probably not very. I always had to tap cartridge razors on the edge of the sink to dislodge the crud. Vigorously.

My DEs? They rinse off easily with cold water.
Again, I quoted this wrong. It was not 6 months growth I shaved off, only 2 days growth. I usually shave with a DE. But even with the 2 days growth, not very efficient. I could maybe get one stroke in before the blades became clogged and rendered useless. And yes, it is much more difficult to rinse out the lather and stubble. I needed to rinse it from both sides and hit it in the sink to properly clear it. With my DE, I can get much more shaved off and it rinses much easier.

Top Bottom