What's new

Cartridge vs. DE Shaving

I returned to DE shaving last year. Until then, I used Mach 3 and Harry's carts. I thought they were good until I switched. Recently, I had to take a 3 week trip and decided to take a Mach 3, figuring TSA regulations and convenience outweighed my usual DE shaving routine.

I just don't get why anyone would prefer carts over DE. Not saying this to appeal to the crowd here, just interested in why anyone returns to it. The cart shaving felt like sandpaper, my post shave skin felt irritated and I could still feel the whiskers and had the 5 o'clock shadow.

While on my trip, I thought, maybe I was just being a little obsessed about my DE shaving routine. Maybe I am being too critical of cart shaving and that I am being too harsh. Being away for 3 weeks, you forget and adapt to your new situation.

When I returned home, I set up my Razorock 6C and shaved. It was awesome. Smooth, non-irritating, no tugging. Just felt great! Shaving became enjoyable again. Having a plethora of blades and razor settings is such a plus to the shaving experience.

My friends who cart. shave all hate shaving. I have to agree with them, using carts is just unappealing. What are your thoughts?

If your goal is simply the removal of facial hair in the easiest, most efficient means possible, then a cart is all you need consider.

That said, if you want to do the same in a manner that allows for a quality shave, smooth and supple skin, and a certain self satisfaction in accomplishing something "better", the traditional shaving, whether with a straight razor, or a safety razor is the way to go.

Some use carts and do Get a close irritation free shave,, but, the also use a brush and good soap. Using a brush and proper lather is ,I think, the most enjoyable part of shaving.

It takes me about 5 minutes to shave my face and head with a cartridge razor, one pass, socially acceptable shave. Some people are all about convenience. (as you mentioned, carts get through carry on luggage). I take time to shave these days, enjoying the scents, the closeness, the touch, and the styling of each razor and brush I own.

For me, there is a meditative quality to my process for shaving. I focus solely on the activity in order to maximize the quality of the result. That focus requires the removal of any extraneous thoughts (work, family, etc.). Shaving is truly a "me" thing, and I find it to be very helpful in taking me "out of" things I would rather not let weigh me down mentally. Even though those thoughts do eventually find their way back, it is not the same level of imposition (for lack of a better word) on my psyche.

Recently, I had to take a 3 week trip and decided to take a Mach 3, figuring TSA regulations and convenience outweighed my usual DE shaving routine.

I just don't get why anyone would prefer carts over DE.

I hear you, but to each his own. 10 months after I switched to DE, after 35 years of using carts, I took my favorite cart on vacation for "convenience". Upon shaving with that cart, I tossed it in the trash and didn't shave again until I got home to my DE.

While carts can be close and quick, I enjoy the relaxation of a DE shave and don't miss the cart's ingrown hairs. I have pulled fewer ingrown hairs in almost 10 years of DE shaving, than I used to pull in a week of cart shaves.

I used to use the Schick Quattro Titanium carts, and got pretty close shaves. The problem for me was the relentless tugging and pulling of whiskers, leading to facial irritation. I guess just like DE shaving, your results really depend on your beard and skin type. And there will always be a percentage of guys who just don’t want to fool with the ritualistic aspect of DE shaving.

I know a lot of guys who don't bother. They just want to remove their light growing facial and body hair, and they do that in the shower with a cart, using just shower gel instead of shaving gel, going one pass directly against the grain. They always look like a male Gillette commercial model.

I switched on and of manly because of massive ingrown hairs. I never will have skin like the guys I menntioned above. I didn't enjoy it that much, using the Palmolive stick or the old green Wilkinson soap, and a Gillette G1000 (Butterfly) or Wilkinson Classic with Wilkinson blades. Only later with better blades and these wonderful soaps and creams I started to enjoy shaving.

Most just haven't tried a safety razor, so just don't know any better. I get the ones who try safety razors and return to carts either have had a bad experience (cutting themselves up) or just don't get the pleasure out of it that I do.

I was gifted a custom-handled Mach 3 by Mrs. Dog Whiskerer. I couldn't even recall ever shaving with a three-bladed cart before now. But having done so for about 14 shaves over the past couple of months, I have to say that the shave experience has been fine. Close, no nicks, and no appreciable irritation if I don't overdo it. Does that mean I'm renouncing DE or SE shaving?

No.

But a Mach 3 cartridge razor is a tool that can be used and appreciated just like any other shaving implement.

I don't like carts, but the Trac II or Atra work pretty well for traveling.
I prefer the Atra because I can use the Vector carts they sell in the EU. They are smoother than the Trac II carts, and less expensive, too.

While I agree with you, some people, after learning different things while using DE razors, find that carts then provide them with adequate, comfortable shaves. Others find that DE didn't solve their shaving issues, took longer, and resulted in more nicks.

There's nothing wrong with cartridges and for a fast shave or for travel, they're great. I can get a great shave with a cartridge, but it doesn't last as long. Some days that's fine, but I like getting the best possible shave.

Wow! Lots of good responses. I agree carts can provide a reasonable shave, but my experience was that it was unpleasant compared to DE. I think that shaving soft and hard technology has changed so much from the days when I switched from DE in the 1970s, till now is amazing. There are so many choices of razors and blades now, that I believe all beard types would be satisfied. Want aggressive, get Open comb and/or sharp blade. New to DE shaving or want a mild shave, get closed comb razor, maybe an adjustable like the Rockwell and a duller blade. Mix and match options are something that carts can't provide. Want a fast shave, just use the same routine used for carts and shave with the DE. Anyway, that's my thoughts.

I use both and can’t say a DE gives me a better shave than a cartridge. No reason why a cartridge shave can’t be enjoyable. My only real reason for using a DE is no plastic pollution, most especially a disposable.

Cartridges?!... most efficient way of shaving?!...
You must be joking, right?

I understand that people here don’t like carts but i don’t get doubting their efficiency. Carts eliminate the need to do multiple passes. Having 2-5 blades simply mows down hair better than 1. With a DE it’s nearly a necessity to do more than one pass to get a close shave. With carts it’s one and done. The quality and comfort of the shave is a question of preference; efficiency is pretty hard to argue though. There’s a reason everyone switched over from DE when carts came out.

I understand that people here don’t like carts but i don’t get doubting their efficiency. Carts eliminate the need to do multiple passes. Having 2-5 blades simply mows down hair better than 1. With a DE it’s nearly a necessity to do more than one pass to get a close shave. With carts it’s one and done. The quality and comfort of the shave is a question of preference; efficiency is pretty hard to argue though. There’s a reason everyone switched over from DE when carts came out.
Indeed. If cartridges didn't greatly improve shaving for the average person, they would never have lasted this long. As I've said elsewhere, with good soap or cream, beard prep, and good shaving technique, cartridges can be every bit as capable and comfortable as a DE. YMMV, other restrictions may apply, yada yada...

I returned to DE shaving last year. Until then, I used Mach 3 and Harry's carts. I thought they were good until I switched. Recently, I had to take a 3 week trip and decided to take a Mach 3, figuring TSA regulations and convenience outweighed my usual DE shaving routine.

I just don't get why anyone would prefer carts over DE. Not saying this to appeal to the crowd here, just interested in why anyone returns to it. The cart shaving felt like sandpaper, my post shave skin felt irritated and I could still feel the whiskers and had the 5 o'clock shadow.

While on my trip, I thought, maybe I was just being a little obsessed about my DE shaving routine. Maybe I am being too critical of cart shaving and that I am being too harsh. Being away for 3 weeks, you forget and adapt to your new situation.

When I returned home, I set up my Razorock 6C and shaved. It was awesome. Smooth, non-irritating, no tugging. Just felt great! Shaving became enjoyable again. Having a plethora of blades and razor settings is such a plus to the shaving experience.

My friends who cart. shave all hate shaving. I have to agree with them, using carts is just unappealing. What are your thoughts?
If you were to open this can of
Worms over in the Modern shaving
Systems forum , I'd bet you dollars to
Dimes that you would get a boatload
Of theory and analysis complete with
Testimony and witnesses that says
You are completely wrong. So asking
Why anyone would prefer a cart?
The answer is definitely location
Dependent.

Top Bottom