What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

View attachment 996986

Even better...I have another Tanifuji to hone tomorrow if I decide to. It's another Silver Steel, but with a different model number, different scales, and a slightly different blade shape.

My third made by Tanifuji razor, a Spalding, is still in transit. It's got red scales like these.

View attachment 996993

I've ordered one more Japanese razor, an H. Diamond, and have a low ball bid on another Japanese razor. I will pretty soon have six good Japanese razors assuming all the razors are as good as I think they are, and seven if I win the auction.

I have one more with a wonky grind (it was a freebie from a vendor).

View attachment 996989

Not very long ago I didn't have any.

View attachment 996992

Great job of enabling.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
Glad your liking these wonderful razors Jim.
The H.Diamond is another on my list of "wanted" razors to get. But I don't think you can go wrong with most of the Japanese razors.
They seem to be of a very high quality and can take a really nice edge.
Just make sure you examine all the pictures before bidding, to avoid any unwanted Kamisori grinds. Although, now you have a few, maybe you'll want to try a kamisori.

Maybe you should have a Japanese month. You now have a reference razor, your challenge for the month is to get all your other Japanese razors close to the same standard.
Should be a fun thing to try.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Glad your liking these wonderful razors Jim.
The H.Diamond is another on my list of "wanted" razors to get. But I don't think you can go wrong with most of the Japanese razors.
They seem to be of a very high quality and can take a really nice edge.
Just make sure you examine all the pictures before bidding, to avoid any unwanted Kamisori grinds. Although, now you have a few, maybe you'll want to try a kamisori.

Maybe you should have a Japanese month. You now have a reference razor, your challenge for the month is to get all your other Japanese razors close to the same standard.
Should be a fun thing to try.

It might be too formal for me unless I just sort of back into it.

At the moment I feel like I have so many razors I don't know what to do with them.

This does not mean I need any help disposing of them. But thanks for thinking of how to help me.

I, too, offer that free service to other members on occasion.

Plus, I have a similar service for vacation apartments paid for but for some reason not able to be used off the coast of Scotland (and off the coast of South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida for that matter).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Plus, I have a similar service for vacation apartments paid for but for some reason not able to be used off the coast of Scotland (and off the coast of South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida for that matter).

Happy shaves,

Jim
Sorry Jim, this apartment off the coast of Scotland is not up for grabs.
DSC_0396.JPG

Believe it or not this is Calgary. Not the Canadian one though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My shave today was very late, but pretty good.

7-7-19.Tanifugi.Kit.JPG

I started playing around with my Plugable USB scope. I figured out a way to make it useful. That led to finding problems with the edge of this razor, problems which hadn't been visible looking at the edge with my LED lighted loupe. That was very surprising. Check out what I did and see the pictures here.

There was also a very tiny "frown" which showed up near the heel. It as barely barely visible at 10X and quite the problem at 200X. I took pictures of it, but can't find them (I'm not quite sure where the device puts photos; I found some of them but not all). Anyway, I devoted a lot of time and effort - if hours are a lot of time and effort - trying to remove the chip in the photo and trying to remove the little frown.

Change. Socrates..jpg

The chip is gone. The frown is not gone but it's decreased to a level where I'm okay with it and tired of chasing it. I used both the Chosera 1K and my SS 3K going after these problems. I finished on the Double Convex Ark, both sides. No pasted strops today.

The shave was not stellar but it was pretty good. I suspect I'll take this edge to the DCA for more finishing, but it's certainly an okay edge.

I was in a hurry when I shaved and don't want to complain about getting a pretty good shave when I hurried through it.

My kit included GD Preshave and Serum.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was very good.

7-8-19.Tanifuji.Red.Kit.JPG

The edge went back on the DCA for about a hundred round trips. Better it is.

Grooming Dept Preshave & Serum. Cremo Moisturizer and PAA Beach splash.

Nice stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was quite good.

7-9-19.136Torrey.Kit.640.Mixed.Laundry.JPG

I did a lot of work last night, link, getting this blade ready for today. All a direct result of seeing the edge better. My modified Plugable USB scope is finding a place in my arsenal (it's not so useful unless modified).

Today's edge was quite satisfactory. I am also getting much better at using my Double Convex Ark. A video I watched recently helped me get things to click into a better gear, concerning my X strokes.

PAA.Beach@Holden.480.2018 (2).JPG

My bottle of Beach is almost empty. This photo is from last summer's beach vacation. Another bottle or two are in transit.

Today's kit included Grooming Dept Preshave & Serum + Cremo Moisturizer.

Nice kit. Nice shave.

proxy.php

upload_2019-7-9_9-15-24.png

Still, my best straight shaves could be better.
  • I believe an even sharper edge (if that can be done) would help (that's not a knock on today's edge as it is quite sharp; I consider it as sharp as I know how to get it now).
  • Even more helpful would be technique improvements.
  • Learning to shave E-W on my neck would make a big difference, but I've not come close to figuring that one out.
  • In other words, I don't know if any of this is possible via deliberate effort. Maybe it will just happen over time.
Still, my SR shaves are Damn Comfortable Shaves. All of them. Very cool I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Tuesday my shave was quite good.

View attachment 997651

I did a lot of work last night, link, getting this blade ready for today. All a direct result of seeing the edge better. My modified Plugable USB scope is finding a place in my arsenal (it's not so useful unless modified).

Today's edge was quite satisfactory. I am also getting much better at using my Double Convex Ark. A video I watched recently helped me get things to click into a better gear, concerning my X strokes.

View attachment 997653

My bottle of Beach is almost empty. This photo is from last summer's beach vacation. Another bottle or two are in transit.

Today's kit included Grooming Dept Preshave & Serum + Cremo Moisturizer.

Nice kit. Nice shave.

proxy.php

View attachment 997659

Still, my best straight shaves could be better.
  • I believe an even sharper edge (if that can be done) would help (that's not a knock on today's edge as it is quite sharp; I consider it as sharp as I know how to get it now).
  • Even more helpful would be technique improvements.
  • Learning to shave E-W on my neck would make a big difference, but I've not come close to figuring that one out.
  • In other words, I don't know if any of this is possible via deliberate effort. Maybe it will just happen over time.
Still, my SR shaves are Damn Comfortable Shaves. All of them. Very cool I think.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Amazing getting to 250 straight shaves sir! Congratulations on the milestone.

This likely won't help you at all, but I couldn't shave with the General for a very long time remotely east to west on my neck. What I began doing was not a true E-W pattern but more a SE-NW pattern on one pass and the opposite on the next. This has replaced my true wtg passes on my neck with all of my razors. Granted, my neck whiskers make chevrons all the way across with their growth pattern, but this has seemed to do well for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom