What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Will we get this all sorted out one day? I somehow doubt any final resolution is on my horizon, but if my edges are good that's good enough for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That's pretty much where I'm at right now.
I can live quite easily with the edges I produce right now. Plus I have a small collection of stones that I can mix it up with if I get bored.
My edges are probably not up to a lot of peoples standard, but it's only me that's shaving with them. And I'm sure things will improve over time with practice.
Anything to avoid the JNat rabbit hole. :001_rolle

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I knew that definition, but it didn't fit very well.

Good grief, I am so sorry and embarrassed. I meant pastes.

Hey, happens to all of us. Not a problem.

balsa?.jpeg

I thought the issue was whether stropping either way...
  • on diamond or CBN on balsa
  • on diamond or CBN on leather
...is better or worse than the other.

Not that I know anything about either you understand.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I knew that definition, but it didn't fit very well.

Hey, happens to all of us. Not a problem.

View attachment 995657

I thought the issue was whether stropping either way...
  • on diamond or CBN on balsa
  • on diamond or CBN on leather
...is better or worse than the other.

Not that I know anything about either you understand.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So, would you agree? A 20K stone costs over $200. If I can do the same with a sheet of films or diamond, am I cheating in your opinion?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There's lot of ways to go about it. I have explored only several of them - not jnats, not Thuringians, not The Method (film), and not the UK stones

Sounds like you might need a long haul, Jim lol.

Well, you'd been surprised to find its pretty easy to get it sharper and smoother sooner than later. And, its not expensive. That said, I would invest in a folding Feather SS with Pro Guard blades to start because its a wonderful tool and secondly because it teaches you a lot about technique that you will need for straights.

I'm confident I can use one, and have, without drawing blood. Finding the edge I'd prefer on the other hand is the road I'd rather not go down. The other issue I'd have with a straight, or barber razor, is being unable to shave right>left and left>right on my neck.

Sometimes I agree with this advice, but Mike can already shave with a hunting knife and probably an axe.

My nephew has that knife now and I did suggest he strop it. Not sure if he's tried a shave with it or not haha.

My axe has never been, nor will ever be, sharp enough to even attempt it and I dont have the enthusiasm to sharpen a double bit axe to that point. Its bad enough I need to pull the lawnmower blade because its bending most of the grass over instead of cutting lol. Nope, not goin there either.

c4c367ada2f056aa6ecafcb630937fc8.gif

Excellent movie by the way Jim.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was good.

7-3-19.Herder76.Kit.640.JPG

I took the Herder 76 to the Chosera 1K to set a really good bevel. That was followed by considerable time on the soft side of the Double Convex Ark 8x3. The edge was finished with perhaps three hundred or so round trips on the hard side of the DCA.

The edge is finally acceptably sharp, comfortable, and smart!

Like all my edges (other than the Japanese razor recently mentioned) I suspect it could be sharper, and maybe I'll run it over the DCA finishing side sometime, or put it to some pastes or some-such. However, this is a perfectly nice edge. I see no reason (other than experimentation) to mess with it.

Nice! (shave meme).jpg

I used, in addition to what's pictured, GD Preshave and GD serum. Good shave. No complaints.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My 4th of July shave was good.

July4th.2019.Kit.Faon..JPG

This razor, a Faon, is the second Japanese razor I've used. Very nice it is. A tad shorter than most of my razors. I like the other Japanese razor I used the other day a little bit better I think, but this one is still quite impressive and very grand.

GD Preshave and Serum.

Nice stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Italian flag for 4th of July. Nice!! :)

My idea was to honor my father who fought in France and Germany. He would have appreciated and not been offended by the American soap with an Italian brush and a Japanese razor. He would have not appreciated a German razor I think.

I can't explain how he felt or why.

Had I been able to use 100% made in the USA kit I might have gone that route, but I felt a Stirling brush with a Chinese knot would be cheating.

Happy 4th,

Jim

My idea was to honor my father who fought in France and Germany. He would have appreciated and not been offended by the American soap with an Italian brush and a Japanese razor. He would have not appreciated a German razor I think.

I can't explain how he felt or why.

Had I been able to use 100% made in the USA kit I might have gone that route, but I felt a Stirling brush with a Chinese knot would be cheating.

Happy 4th,

Jim
My respects to your father. They brought freedom to Europe from the West part.

If I remember correctly USA troops entered from the island of Sicily.

Happy 4th!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was good.

7-5-19.Fredericks.Kit.640.JPG

This Fredericks is a very nice razor. Old, but good. Or, maybe I should say it's good because it's so old it was made the right way? Maybe made by a blacksmith? Really I'm not quite sure how old the razor is. The edge is off the DCA. Probably could be improved with pasted strops but it's already a very nice edge. I may improve it though.

GD Preshave and Serum. Maybe a splash in a little while.

upload_2019-7-5_11-45-48.png

Because Cal @Cal and I are counting.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was good.

7-6-19.Tanifuji.Red.Off-DCA+Pastes.Kit.640.JPG

This was my first shave with this or any other Tanifuji razor. Nice kit it is.

Good kit in general and good shave.

247.jpeg

Can I say this edge is as good as the edges on the Japanese razors honed by the vendor? No.

Can I say this is a very good edge? Yes.

Grooming Dept Preshave and Serum.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is what I was alluding to when I said to try one of the Japanese razors honed on your DCA. If you don't want to use any of the three that you have right now, then the one thats coming from Japan won't be shave ready. At least mine wasn't from the same vendor. So, you will have to hone it yourself.

I know that when I try to decide which of my razors to use to shave with, I find myself reaching for one of the Japanese ones. There is something about them the other razors can't match. It's not that the others are bad, far from it. Thats probably why, when I scour ebay for razors, I end up searching for Tanifuji.

RedTanijui.Off-DCA+Pastes.640.7-6-19.JPG

Even better...I have another Tanifuji to hone tomorrow if I decide to. It's another Silver Steel, but with a different model number, different scales, and a slightly different blade shape.

My third made by Tanifuji razor, a Spalding, is still in transit. It's got red scales like these.

H. Diamond. Vendor's Photo..jpg

I've ordered one more Japanese razor, an H. Diamond, and have a low ball bid on another Japanese razor. I will pretty soon have six good Japanese razors assuming all the razors are as good as I think they are, and seven if I win the auction.

I have one more with a wonky grind (it was a freebie from a vendor).

upload_2019-7-6_23-18-55.png

Not very long ago I didn't have any.

upload_2019-7-6_23-20-42.png

Great job of enabling.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom