What's new

Buying mistakes, particularly new DE users

Starting out with an adjustable razor. It complicates the learning process and typically leads to the newbie thinking more gap is the key to a close shave rather than good technique.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My only buying mistake so far (3 months in) was the Parker 99R. I went in blindly without reading any reviews, gets me BBS but too much blade feel for my liking. Second buying mistake was the Rockwell 2C instead of the 6C. I still regret that to this day....

One mistake is continuing to use something that doesn’t work simply because of the price paid. Next is trying to push a blade beyond its useful life. I know this can be controversial but my considerable experience is that less is better. Finally is how making a well hydrated cushioned lather contributes to shave quality. It takes time and practice but usually involves more product and more water.

I've gotten closer shaves from a 2 year old disposable BIC razor I found in a bathroom than from other razors that Techs, DE89, 34C owners consider aggressive. Too many mild razors out there, considering we're far from teenagers in this hobby.
I still use my mild Tech, and Superspeeds. I just shim them and use a Feather, or other known sharp blade. They still give a comfortable smooth. Shave.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Biggest mistake was reading forums and thinking I could substitute knowledge for experience. Half the people on here haven't even used the product they're discussing, and the other half used it a few times in rotation with a couple dozen other products before pronouncing it "bad" and moving on.

I'm not saying research is worthless. Reading real reviews is helpful. But when an "enthusiast" tells you something is the best and only razor/brush/soap/blade/aftershave you should buy, you can bet they'll be buying something different six months from now.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
DE mistakes definitely include chrome razors, aluminum razors and everything else doesn't add up to the almost fatal error of the vegg!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
DE mistakes definitely include chrome razors, aluminum razors and everything else doesn't add up to the almost fatal error of the vegg!
I am afraid to try the veg for fear I will not be among the chosen. That, and my cats begin to spray me.

If I'm starting out today, I'll start with a cheap chinese razor like weishi or baili to learn the ropes.

Couple of years ago, most people started off with edwin jagger simply due to cheap razors not being widely available.

As for brushes, probably a cheap synthetic since they are easier to lather than animals.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
My problem was not learning how to use what I have and getting off a razor to soon then buying the same Razors over again . I have used over 150 razors, mostly vintage and not putting the time in and learning how to use it cost me time and money .
Not sticking with a setup for enough time. There is so much variety out there that noobs cannot get a baseline for what works, because nothing has been given enough time.

Pro tip: buy decent to begin with (razor, blades, cream/soap, splash/gel) and change nothing for three months (except blades, but even those should be evaluated by the five pack).

In the beginning the variable is you, so get that solid then play around.

More money does not mean a better shave. It will increase the experience, but same end results.

Learn to be patient. Give it a few tries before you decide it's not for you. This relates to software, razors, blades, brushes.

A more aggressive razor isn't upgrading. Mild razors perform as well. You just have to learn the technique. Each razor is different and requires different angles.

Biggest mistake was reading forums and thinking I could substitute knowledge for experience. Half the people on here haven't even used the product they're discussing, and the other half used it a few times in rotation with a couple dozen other products before pronouncing it "bad" and moving on.

I'm not saying research is worthless. Reading real reviews is helpful. But when an "enthusiast" tells you something is the best and only razor/brush/soap/blade/aftershave you should buy, you can bet they'll be buying something different six months from now.

Are you referring to a member who has only used a Fat Boy and decides it is the best razor ever produced? Or, were you referring to the members who say they need an aggressive razor only to find out they shave once a week?

If I told you that it does not matter which razor you have, you should be able to learn to get a good shave with beard mapping and technique, would you believe me?

What about the members who pontificates about how to shave and you find out they have a partial or full beard? :eek2:

There are some seasoned members here who I have come to rely on for evidenced based shaving recommendations. Pick out those guys and pay attention. :thumbsup:

Are you referring to a member who has only used a Fat Boy and decides it is the best razor ever produced? Or, were you referring to the members who say they need an aggressive razor only to find out they shave once a week?

If I told you that it does not matter which razor you have, you should be able to learn to get a good shave with beard mapping and technique, would you believe me?

What about the members who pontificates about how to shave and you find out they have a partial or full beard? :eek2:

There are some seasoned members here who I have come to rely on for evidenced based shaving recommendations. Pick out those guys and pay attention. :thumbsup:
I was more referring to member who has been shaving all of 2 years, yet has somehow tried 12 razors, 25 soaps, several boars, badgers, synthetics, and tells a newbie that they really shouldn't use (fill in the blank).

How the *** would they know how good something is when they don't use the same setup for more than 2 days in a row? Did they really give it a chance? Did they use it back when they weren't *so experienced* and had bad technique?

I totally agree on those other types of members. And it's not even that I dislike them participating in the forum. There is certainly room for everyone to give their opinion. It's just the way that some people will present themselves as some sort of shaving guru after 12 weeks and just as many setups.

Now you tell me you've gone through all those setups in 10 or 20 years, or you just give your 2 cents without bashing what works for someone else? Those are the people that I think we'd agree a newbie should pay attention to.

Last edited:
On a positive note, there was something I did right early on. I use this calculation to determine my cost/shave. It helps prevent addictions.

upload_2019-6-20_8-12-2.png

Recently, I gave away or threw away lathering products I don't want to use. There weren't many.

I'm one razor away from one razor, two blades, one brush, one soap.

Mistakes
1. Being afraid to ask questions about fair costs via PM
2. Avoiding "used" razors
3. Avoiding "vintage" razors
4. Trying to Keep up with the Jones
5. Not recognizing that many of the brush knots made my "artisans" come from the same place.
6. Not recognizing that many of the brush handles made my "artisans" come from the same place.
7. Pretty doesn't mean good

Remedies
1. Reach out to someone who will be frank about overall costs and values for razors & brushes. "Pricing is not discussed here," but here refers to the threads and posts, not PM's.
2. These are tools that are used to shave with. These instruments can be more than adequately sterilized and cleaned to a state that is most likely better than when they come out of the OEM packaging.
3. Newer and more modern does not equate as better. Vintage razors may lose some appeal does to cosmetics issues, but the gold wash is simply that-gold wash. It's going to come off, even with the lacquer finish. Make sure the alignment is good and the parts match. Too much metal wear(use and over polishing) can be a problem.
4. Be true to thyself. Know who you are or discover who you are. Be bold, but be smart. There are some folks who will drop a mint on gear because they can, but it doesn't mean you have to. We(shaving enthusiasts and collectors both) are evangelists trying to convince anyone who will listen that our way is superior. It is, at least for us, that is why we shave the way we do or collect the way we do.
5. Unless the knot is being hand-tied by a premium knot maker, 90% are all coming from the same place, so pay attention. Synthetic and Natural both.
6. See #5. I'll add that there are only a few professional handle turners out there, and @Rudy Vey is one of the best. Both his handles AND his knots are premium. For example he will walk you through the entire process of selecting a handle and knot. Many(not all) other "artisans" receive the knot and handle separately and assemble the brush before mailing to the buyer.
7. That razor that doesn't have any silver, gold, nickel, or chrome left on it might be perfect. Don't overlook it. By that same token, that razor that has been "revamped" or refinished will most likely shave with different tolerances because it has been stripped and refinished/resurfaced. Considering how the blade gap and blade exposure is measured, the gaps and exposure will be different. A refinished razor might look amazing, but that does mean it will shave amazingly. The razor without any finish left might look like a devil but shave like an angel and become your go-to for the rest of your DE shaving experiences.

For the sake of full disclosure, I am an avid, not quite rabid, Vintage shaving gear fan. I either collect what I use or use what I collect. So, with the exception of a handful of SE razors which I still have yet to try, I have used all of the razors on my shelf or in my study. Further, I tried the Merkur 34C hd, EJ 89DE, and VDH TTO a couple of time until I found the old Gillette razors.

Mistakes
1. Being afraid to ask questions about fair costs via PM
2. Avoiding "used" razors
3. Avoiding "vintage" razors
4. Trying to Keep up with the Jones
5. Not recognizing that many of the brush knots made my "artisans" come from the same place.
6. Not recognizing that many of the brush handles made my "artisans" come from the same place.
7. Pretty doesn't mean good

Remedies
1. Reach out to someone who will be frank about overall costs and values for razors & brushes. "Pricing is not discussed here," but here refers to the threads and posts, not PM's.
2. These are tools that are used to shave with. These instruments can be more than adequately sterilized and cleaned to a state that is most likely better than when they come out of the OEM packaging.
3. Newer and more modern does not equate as better. Vintage razors may lose some appeal does to cosmetics issues, but the gold wash is simply that-gold wash. It's going to come off, even with the lacquer finish. Make sure the alignment is good and the parts match. Too much metal wear(use and over polishing) can be a problem.
4. Be true to thyself. Know who you are or discover who you are. Be bold, but be smart. There are some folks who will drop a mint on gear because they can, but it doesn't mean you have to. We(shaving enthusiasts and collectors both) are evangelists trying to convince anyone who will listen that our way is superior. It is, at least for us, that is why we shave the way we do or collect the way we do.
5. Unless the knot is being hand-tied by a premium knot maker, 90% are all coming from the same place, so pay attention. Synthetic and Natural both.
6. See #5. I'll add that there are only a few professional handle turners out there, and @Rudy Vey is one of the best. Both his handles AND his knots are premium. For example he will walk you through the entire process of selecting a handle and knot. Many(not all) other "artisans" receive the knot and handle separately and assemble the brush before mailing to the buyer.
7. That razor that doesn't have any silver, gold, nickel, or chrome left on it might be perfect. Don't overlook it. By that same token, that razor that has been "revamped" or refinished will most likely shave with different tolerances because it has been stripped and refinished/resurfaced. Considering how the blade gap and blade exposure is measured, the gaps and exposure will be different. A refinished razor might look amazing, but that does mean it will shave amazingly. The razor without any finish left might look like a devil but shave like an angel and become your go-to for the rest of your DE shaving experiences.

For the sake of full disclosure, I am an avid, not quite rabid, Vintage shaving gear fan. I either collect what I use or use what I collect. So, with the exception of a handful of SE razors which I still have yet to try, I have used all of the razors on my shelf or in my study. Further, I tried the Merkur 34C hd, EJ 89DE, and VDH TTO a couple of time until I found the old Gillette razors.

Good post, sir!! :a50:

As for giving things a chance: sometimes you just know something is wrong, immediately. The fair chance gets to be unfair on you. :001_smile

As for beard wearers, (until recently) most people kept short ones and continued to shave their necks--the most difficult part. So, I don't think their shaving advice is worthless. :kyle1:

Top Bottom