What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

3748E90F-A67B-4FE1-BE56-87E4BBDC4A0B.jpeg

I got this brush from a spiffo supply earlier in the week. It’s great. Knot measures 31mm at the base. Nice gel tips crazy good brush.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
This butterscotch beauty crossed my path and I couldn't say no!

The reverse says "Best badger Made in England" while the obverse says "Made Expressly for Bloomingdales".
Chris! That is nice! Did you polish it or was it that way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Another beauty landed today! This is an Optimus (originally boar but reknotted in badger) with a mother of pearl base!

I'm almost afraid to use it... but that would be disrespectful of the brush.

KeenDogg

Another beauty landed today! This is an Optimus (originally boar but reknotted in badger) with a mother of pearl base!

I'm almost afraid to use it... but that would be disrespectful of the brush.
Sexy, sexy!

Found these today. The Ever Ready could use a new knot. The Fuller seems like a new badger knot.

Attachments

• 20190603_184945.jpg
    20190603_184945.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20190603_184950.jpg
    20190603_184950.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20190603_184955.jpg
    20190603_184955.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20190603_185004.jpg
    20190603_185004.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 25

KeenDogg

Graydog Horse! Thanks to @Graydog. Never tried this handle shape but I must say it is very comfortable to use.
proxy.php

8C3DB8C2-3121-4114-BC4B-72F47DA25F74.jpeg

Might not impress with its looks, but....

Due to the quantity of consumables now in the house I'm about ready to go on sabbatical, but it always bothered me a little that I only had one truly good trustworthy brush (my ivory handled EJ medium best badger that I bought at Duluth Trading back in 2011) and resolved that if I should run across another at a price I liked I'd grab it as a long term backup.

Happened to be cruising eBay the other night and was as lucky as I've ever been. This kit had a buy it now price on it, too low to be true but I grabbed it and it arrived today.

$10 plus $7 shipping for over $80 worth of product. The mug and soap will be used, but more importantly that's another medium best badger just like the one I paid $40 for back then. No SBAD here. I have what I like and between the two should be set for life.

I've got a few en route... but here's what I've got at the moment:

In the case, my collection of carved bone and ivory (and one sterling) brushes.

Most are very old, unknown makers:

Top 6 are all intricately carved bone (one or two maybe ivory. Not sure) (there's also a little one missing the knot underneath the leftmost)
Bottom are two of the tiny (10-11mm knot) ivory brushes from 18th-19th century gentlemens boxes (usually had a shaving mug, soap, brush, sometimes a comb, would have elaborate stitching in what appeared to usually be silk lined boxes often of a country or victorian scene... very effeminate by todays standards... likely were very expensive gifts back in the day).
Then what I believe is an ivory Simpson Major
Bone bottomed everready and a Bone version of the tiny gentlemen's kit brushes (inverted next to it)
Sterling silver case/turnback brush with original knot in great shape (I never used it, suspect it'd probably shed, as it's well over a century old)
Uk Bone handled badger/boar mix brush. Absolutely wonderful brush and knot... sadly these old bone brushes get cracks that spread from the knot swelling and shrinking if you actually use them. Real shame as I'd love to use this one regularly.

Other image, right to left:

Kent Barrel brush... Got it almost NOS except a hairline crack. Very dense and nice Pure knot.
Tiny little Kent. 100% NOS. I'd love to use it but it's staying that way for now.
Kent PJ shaped black boar brush. Really aggressive knot... hair like the big floppy barbers brushes (think the Rubberset 3 and 4's), but set up to bloom and use like a modern boar brush... VERY scrubby. A nice brush but definitely not an everyday one.
120 yr old Brooks Brothers Bone/Ivory brush. Polo style. Knot is as dense as a chubby, but loft is so insanely high, it's almost floppy. Absolute monster of a brush.
Keyhole 2
Chubby 2
M&F Blonde in horn (from the first run he released)
EverReady green marble bakelite bottom Restored with a M&F Blond knot
Custom from a maker who went by Bullseye? I think on the forums a decade ago. Has a Pinch at the top to make the knot not bloom at all... basically a Q-tip of badger hair for lathering with.
Rebranded Rooney Finest. Stubby shape, size 1 I believe I bought recently off BST... hair in the center worn down creating the Donut effect you sometimes see on very old brushes. Still a great little brush.
Rooney finest 1/3 iirc (can really only see how dense it is).
Custom Eagle handle by Mycarver with a Chubby Super knot in it.
Front row right to left:
Kent V14
Culmak 55
Semogue BC LE Boar
Semogue BC LE Mixed

Two recent arrives, a pretty new Everready with original knot, a Col Conk mixed knot
An old $1 brush I dug out of a cupboard a couple days ago

Not pictured are a few knots I've got without handles, and backups of the Semogue BCLE mixed, as well as a NOS Semogue BCLE badger

Attachments

• IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    796.6 KB · Views: 46
I've got a few en route... but here's what I've got at the moment:

In the case, my collection of carved bone and ivory (and one sterling) brushes.

Most are very old, unknown makers:

Top 6 are all intricately carved bone (one or two maybe ivory. Not sure) (there's also a little one missing the knot underneath the leftmost)
Bottom are two of the tiny (10-11mm knot) ivory brushes from 18th-19th century gentlemens boxes (usually had a shaving mug, soap, brush, sometimes a comb, would have elaborate stitching in what appeared to usually be silk lined boxes often of a country or victorian scene... very effeminate by todays standards... likely were very expensive gifts back in the day).
Then what I believe is an ivory Simpson Major
Bone bottomed everready and a Bone version of the tiny gentlemen's kit brushes (inverted next to it)
Sterling silver case/turnback brush with original knot in great shape (I never used it, suspect it'd probably shed, as it's well over a century old)
Uk Bone handled badger/boar mix brush. Absolutely wonderful brush and knot... sadly these old bone brushes get cracks that spread from the knot swelling and shrinking if you actually use them. Real shame as I'd love to use this one regularly.

Other image, right to left:

Kent Barrel brush... Got it almost NOS except a hairline crack. Very dense and nice Pure knot.
Tiny little Kent. 100% NOS. I'd love to use it but it's staying that way for now.
Kent PJ shaped black boar brush. Really aggressive knot... hair like the big floppy barbers brushes (think the Rubberset 3 and 4's), but set up to bloom and use like a modern boar brush... VERY scrubby. A nice brush but definitely not an everyday one.
120 yr old Brooks Brothers Bone/Ivory brush. Polo style. Knot is as dense as a chubby, but loft is so insanely high, it's almost floppy. Absolute monster of a brush.
Keyhole 2
Chubby 2
M&F Blonde in horn (from the first run he released)
EverReady green marble bakelite bottom Restored with a M&F Blond knot
Custom from a maker who went by Bullseye? I think on the forums a decade ago. Has a Pinch at the top to make the knot not bloom at all... basically a Q-tip of badger hair for lathering with.
Rebranded Rooney Finest. Stubby shape, size 1 I believe I bought recently off BST... hair in the center worn down creating the Donut effect you sometimes see on very old brushes. Still a great little brush.
Rooney finest 1/3 iirc (can really only see how dense it is).
Custom Eagle handle by Mycarver with a Chubby Super knot in it.
Front row right to left:
Kent V14
Culmak 55
Semogue BC LE Boar
Semogue BC LE Mixed

Two recent arrives, a pretty new Everready with original knot, a Col Conk mixed knot
An old $1 brush I dug out of a cupboard a couple days ago

Not pictured are a few knots I've got without handles, and backups of the Semogue BCLE mixed, as well as a NOS Semogue BCLE badger
Are those hones behind all the brushes

Been busy the last few days but I got this brush from @Graydog it is an amazing brush and has a horse knot in it. I've used it once and instantly feel in love with it. Hands down my favorite brush. Thank you @Graydog for this amazing brush. It is my favorite brush hands down. I love how the wood changes from light to dark depending how the light hits it. I know I'm going to be saving for his brushes he said he was getting ready for the auction.

20190617_202733.jpg
20190617_202728.jpg
20190617_202722.jpg
20190617_202716.jpg

Top Bottom