What's new

Does this happen to the rest as well?

Hello guys

Just wanted to see if this happened to you when you started or is happening now and what are you guys doing about it.

I’ve basically been DE shaving for almost 1 month and a half BUT have only shaved 5 or 6 times! Unfortunately every single time I shave I get razor burns, razor bumps, and sometimes ingrown on my mustache and chin area. Because of this I always have to wait 3, 4 or even 5 days for my face to heal! which is really frustrating because even though it’s been almost two months I still feel like a complete rookie, like if it’s my first time shaving. I swear I’m trying everything you guys have told me with the pressure, blade angle, correct prep. I don’t think I’ve ever studied so much of something in my life to try and get the correct shave. I really try to enjoy every time I shave, doing all the prep, listening to some music, I even take around 40 to 50 min every single time. When I shave I even feel at that time that the whole technique is going great because it does feel smooth but once I’m done my face explodes with razor bumps, razor burns, and sometimes ingrown.

Unfortunately in my line of business I can’t keep appearing like if I’m going through puberty every time I shave.

So my question is, did you all have to go through this? Having to wait every single time you shave 3 to 5 days for the face to heal before shaving again? It’s frustrating because I feel I can’t keep practicing as much which makes me feel like my first shave every time.

Thanks guys

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention that I’m doing 2 WTG passes and 1 XTG pass. The XTG pass I only do on my cheeks because I don’t get any burn o bumps there ever. On my chin and mustache I’m only doing 2 WTG passes.

I had the customary nicks and small weepers, and until I learned not to apply pressure (or go over areas 4,5,6 times) I had my share of razor burn. I didn't get any outright bumps, though.

I had the customary nicks and small weepers, and until I learned not to apply pressure (or go over areas 4,5,6 times) I had my share of razor burn. I didn't get any outright bumps, though.

I’m definitely trying not to put pressure and definitely trying not to go over the same area per pass unless I relather. I’m even doing small strokes to try and have better technique and control.

As you've doubtless seen plenty of times before--because it's true--your mileage may vary. I am fortunate not to have sensitive skin, and my facial hair is pretty normal, not coarse, not fine. I shave every day because, well, now I actually enjoy it, and I like to feel neat and clean.

If your facial hair is being cut wonky (at odd angles) by the blade then perhaps your bumps are the end result of hairs getting trapped under your skin (ingrown hairs). Blade too harsh for your skin? Something in your soap or cream, perhaps?

I recently tried a soap that has basil in it. It has a great scent but I noticed the first time I used it my fae was red--a slight tingle, but no burning. It faded pretty quick post-shave. I chalked it up to the probablility of basil oil/essence since I've never had that reaction with anything else.

It's tough to say with any certainty what may be causing your issue because we're all so different. So many variables at play: razor, blade, soap, after shave, etc. My hunch, in your case, may lay between the razor and blade combination, but a really difficult thing to nail down.

As you've doubtless seen plenty of times before--because it's true--your mileage may vary. I am fortunate not to have sensitive skin, and my facial hair is pretty normal, not coarse, not fine. I shave every day because, well, now I actually enjoy it, and I like to feel neat and clean.

If your facial hair is being cut wonky (at odd angles) by the blade then perhaps your bumps are the end result of hairs getting trapped under your skin (ingrown hairs). Blade too harsh for your skin? Something in your soap or cream, perhaps?

I recently tried a soap that has basil in it. It has a great scent but I noticed the first time I used it my fae was red--a slight tingle, but no burning. It faded pretty quick post-shave. I chalked it up to the probablility of basil oil/essence since I've never had that reaction with anything else.

It's tough to say with any certainty what may be causing your issue because we're all so different. So many variables at play: razor, blade, soap, after shave, etc. My hunch, in your case, may lay between the razor and blade combination, but a really difficult thing to nail down.

Yea i definitely understand what you mean. Its one of the stressful parts i guess of being a rook at this...

There are so many options out there and to see what fits your face its stressful because its not like i can keep buying different types of razors or soaps, etc. Im actually from miami but right now because of work im living in South America. And everything ive ordered in the states my brother is helping me bringing that to me next week because here they 99% of the products are not available.

For example, i have right now the merkur 34c which i believe its a mild razon from what ive read. So they say to use an aggressive blade for that razor...But how does one know which blade is agressive and which blade is mild? I have look around the forum and know that for example the derby extra is a mild blade and the feather is an agressive blade.

But how does one know which blade goes with which razor?

Im about to get a sample pack of blades and also the vintage tech and fatip that @Laird awesomely sent me as a PIF. But then how to know which blades to use in all those razors??:a36::a36::a36:

Obviously im sure this type of problem for most of you its not. Either way if you do know of a post from before with this i would appreciate it because i am trying everything with what i have now to try and really get some good DFS. I dont even care to get or even try a BBS.

thanks guys

Paul

I don't have sensitive skin, and I learned to shave initially on a DE, but the prep for me is of utmost importance in a comfortable shave. Clean skin to begin with, followed by hydrated lather and a wet razor. The prep provides a lower friction for the shave and that helps prevent the burn. I've seen videos of people repeatedly passing over the same area after having removed the lather which provides the lubrication.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Im about to get a sample pack of blades and also the vintage tech and fatip that @Laird awesomely sent me as a PIF. But then how to know which blades to use in all those razors??:a36::a36::a36:

Patience. Your world very well may change drastically once you have the Tech and Fatip.

As far as blades go, try what you have. I'll bet you notice a considerable difference with them in the Tech and Fatip, but I'd avoid a Feather in the Fatip until you become use to it. Try a Derby Extra. ;)

I have sensitive skin too, along with coarse and dense growth. Its a handicap that can be overcome, but I dont shave everyday either. The plus side of that now is, I dont need too.

The razor/blade conundrum can make a newbie's head spin. I'm pretty new myself, and have limited myself right now to just one razor while I try a bunch of different blades (a 38C). I haven't tried Feather yet because some of the tales told are disturbing :001_07:

There are guys who will 'shim' their blades, with small washers or even another blade, to affect the blade's behavior, its exposure, rigidity, etc. I haven't tried that, but I may sometime down the road because it intrigues me.

I remember reading a post here not too long ago from someone who has very coarse stubble and he had to experiment going between different razors and blades to get the right combination before he got it dialed in. I know some don't like the baseplate on the Merkur we use because of the baseplate supports the blade. If blade rigidity (or lack thereof) is contributing to your woes then perhaps one of the other razors on their way to you may help.

Stick with it! We can sense your frustration, but there has to be a way to get you to that magical place we all aspire to.

Patience. Your world very well may change drastically once you have the Tech and Fatip.

As far as blades go, try what you have. I'll bet you notice a considerable difference with them in the Tech and Fatip, but I'd avoid a Feather in the Fatip until you become use to it. Try a Derby Extra. ;)

I have sensitive skin too, along with coarse and dense growth. Its a handicap that can be overcome, but I dont shave everyday either. The plus side of that now is, I dont need too.

Thanks Esox

Don’t know if may be I should stop shaving until my brother brings the tech and fatip?

Also do you think I should first try the tech?

The razor/blade conundrum can make a newbie's head spin. I'm pretty new myself, and have limited myself right now to just one razor while I try a bunch of different blades (a 38C). I haven't tried Feather yet because some of the tales told are disturbing :001_07:

There are guys who will 'shim' their blades, with small washers or even another blade, to affect the blade's behavior, its exposure, rigidity, etc. I haven't tried that, but I may sometime down the road because it intrigues me.

I remember reading a post here not too long ago from someone who has very coarse stubble and he had to experiment going between different razors and blades to get the right combination before he got it dialed in. I know some don't like the baseplate on the Merkur we use because of the baseplate supports the blade. If blade rigidity (or lack thereof) is contributing to your woes then perhaps one of the other razors on their way to you may help.

Stick with it! We can sense your frustration, but there has to be a way to get you to that magical place we all aspire to.

Thanks DEPenguin

What soap are you using? Since using SV I have had consistently good skin. Also Astra blades and feathers especially tend to irritate me .

What soap are you using? Since using SV I have had consistently good skin. Also Astra blades and feathers especially tend to irritate me .

Right now the only three creams I have are proraso green and white (which the fragrances are really strong for me). So strong that for some reason I start bleeding out of my nose. And the TOBS for sensitive skin, which is mainly what Ive been using.

Also have the astras sp, feather(which I’m scared as hell to use), and the derby extras.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks Esox

Don’t know if may be I should stop shaving until my brother brings the tech and fatip?

Also do you think I should first try the tech?

Shave if you think you should or feel like it, but dont shave aggressively. Let your skin heal as much as you can and focus on technique. The better you get with the 34C the easier the other two will be to use.

In the meantime, you could try a shim in your 34C. It will help smooth it out. Make the shim as wide as you can. You can trim an old blade with a decent pair of scissors. Be careful of the cut off pieces, they're sharp!

IMG_1304.JPG

Definitely try the Tech first. Its extremely user friendly and I think its the perfect beginners razors that only works better as technique improves. Miss the angle and it wont shave, get it right and it does. Its very hard to mess up with.

The Fatip on the other hand is very easy to use too, once the basics are well understood. Angle and pressure is far more critical with a Fatip than a Tech.

Shave if you think you should or feel like it, but dont shave aggressively. Let your skin heal as much as you can and focus on technique. The better you get with the 34C the easier the other two will be to use.

In the meantime, you could try a shim in your 34C. It will help smooth it out. Make the shim as wide as you can. You can trim an old blade with a decent pair of scissors. Be careful of the cut off pieces, they're sharp!

View attachment 965050

Definitely try the Tech first. Its extremely user friendly and I think its the perfect beginners razors that only works better as technique improves. Miss the angle and it wont shave, get it right and it does. Its very hard to mess up with.

The Fatip on the other hand is very easy to use too, once the basics are well understood. Angle and pressure is far more critical with a Fatip than a Tech.

Awesome thanks for the advice!! Which blade do you recommend I try with the tech?

This is the sample pack my brother is bringing:
proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
See if you can find some of this either locally at a drug store or online.

61tFBUpE6SL._SY679_.jpg

Its a very good cream with little scent and you dont need much of it for a shave. I buy it here in Canada for $3.49 on sale. $5.49 regular price.

Last edited:
I took Mantic’s advice. One pass WTG, then stop. Seriously. 1 pass. Don’t go over it again. Just accept what you get. It won’t be close. But that’s fine. All you’re working on is muscle memory. Do this for three weeks. After that, introduce an XTG stroke. 3 more weeks. After that, consider ATG. Or not.

I promise you, it will click. My neck was a horror show of razor burn, bumps, and weepers. It all cleared up.

I almost quit out of frustration, but I made myself “unlearn” all my bad habits. Grips and strokes that were awkward (even dangerous) become easier and natural. I have a way to go still, but my shaves have improved remarkably. After Shave doesn’t even sting!

Don’t let perfection be the enemy of good enough. I’ve followed your threads and I know the whole forum is rooting for you. Don’t give up!

Last edited:
See if you can find some of this either locally at a drug store or online.

View attachment 965051

Its a very good cream with little scent and you dont need much of it for a shave. I buy it on sale here in Canada for $3.49 on sale. $5.49 regular price.

I know the after shave one does exist here but haven’t really looked nor seen that shaving cream. I’ll definitely take a look.

Thanks!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Awesome thanks for the advice!! Which blade do you recommend I try with the tech?

This is the sample pack my brother is bringing:
proxy.php

I only use Feather blades in my Tech. Bic Chrome Platinum is another very sharp blade and smoother than Feather blades. Astra SP is a very nice blade too and most get along with them very well. I also like Voskhod. They're great on the first shave, a little harsh on the second, harsher again on the third then on the fourth they're smooth again. Shark Super Chrome I found similar to them.

GSB, Gillette Platinum and Treet Platinum are on my do not use list, but many really like them.

Polsilver is a hard blade to beat and one of my top 3. Derby Extra is too. You'll find out why when you load one in the Fatip. In a Tech you might find it lacking.

Top Bottom