What's new

Does this happen to the rest as well?

I took Mantic’s advice. One pass WTG, then stop. Seriously. 1 pass. Don’t go over it again. Just accept what you get. It won’t be close. But that’s fine. All you’re working on is muscle memory. Do this for three weeks. After that, introduce an XTG stroke. 3 more weeks. After that, consider ATG. Or not.

I promise you, it will click. My neck was a horror show of razor burn, bumps, and weepers. It all cleared up.

I almost quit out of frustration, but I made myself “unlearn” all my bad habits. Grips and strokes that were awkward (even dangerous) become easier and natural. I have a way to go still, but my shaved have improved remarkably. After Shave doesn’t even sting!

Don’t let perfection be the enemy of good enough. I’ve followed your threads and I know the whole forum is rooting for you. Don’t give up!

Thanks for the advice clark1109. I think it’s definitely something I will also do or at least try. Maybe this is definitely the way to go.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use Feather blades in my Tech. Bic Chrome Platinum is another very sharp blade and smoother than Feather blades. Astra SP is a very nice blade too and most get along with them very well. I also like Voskhod. They're great on the first shave, a little harsh on the second, harsher again on the third then on the fourth they're smooth again. Shark Super Chrome I found similar to them.

GSB, Gillette Platinum and Treet Platinum are on my do not use list, but many really like them.

Polsilver is a hard blade to beat and one of my top 3. Derby Extra is too. You'll find out why when you load one in the Fatip. In a Tech you might find it lacking.

Awesome tips.

Thanks again!

Great advice above!!

The main thing is that traditional wet shaving is a skill that takes a bit of time and effort. Well worth it in the end!! I also suggest that you read through the Wiki which has a ton of useful information!!

Stick with this for a bit and your results will improve dramatically!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great advice has been given already. If you can get some of the Nivea Sensitive Cream I can vouch that it is a great cream to use. Proraso White soap in the white tub is a great soap for sensitive skin. I use it every Monday morning when I start the week with a new razor/blade combination. I also fine that I sharp blade in a milder razor works well for me. So when you feel up to it, a Feather loaded in the Tech might work great for you as it does for me.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Great advice has been given already. If you can get some of the Nivea Sensitive Cream I can vouch that it is a great cream to use. Proraso White soap in the white tub is a great soap for sensitive skin. I use it every Monday morning when I start the week with a new razor/blade combination. I also fine that I sharp blade in a milder razor works well for me. So when you feel up to it, a Feather loaded in the Tech might work great for you as it does for me.
+1

I have also received great advice hear and a surprise PIF which included a Tech, a Slim, and a New Short Comb.
Forget about the horror stories you have heard about Feathers, I was scared of them at first. But when paired with a Tech, you won't feel the blade.

The Fatips get a lot of love here, I have one on order.
The New Short Comb is my favorite with an Astra SP it is bliss.
I have only been wet shaving 2 months, and just now I am starting to get comfortable.
Take Care and Happy Shaves
Doug

Welcome, as everyone else has said your miles may vary. If I were you though I’d definitely just use one blade type until you get the muscle memory down I started on astras, and eventually settled on to Crystals that sample pack your getting has a bunch of amazing blades in it I can definitely recommend the Polsilvers

As always, the members of B&B have provided worthwhile advice above. Just remember: this, too, shall pass. Suffering is a requisite to the human condition and your current trials will make you truly appreciative of your well-executed shaves.

Last edited:
Hello guys

Just wanted to see if this happened to you when you started or is happening now and what are you guys doing about it.

I’ve basically been DE shaving for almost 1 month and a half BUT have only shaved 5 or 6 times! Unfortunately every single time I shave I get razor burns, razor bumps, and sometimes ingrown on my mustache and chin area. Because of this I always have to wait 3, 4 or even 5 days for my face to heal! which is really frustrating because even though it’s been almost two months I still feel like a complete rookie, like if it’s my first time shaving. I swear I’m trying everything you guys have told me with the pressure, blade angle, correct prep. I don’t think I’ve ever studied so much of something in my life to try and get the correct shave. I really try to enjoy every time I shave, doing all the prep, listening to some music, I even take around 40 to 50 min every single time. When I shave I even feel at that time that the whole technique is going great because it does feel smooth but once I’m done my face explodes with razor bumps, razor burns, and sometimes ingrown.

Unfortunately in my line of business I can’t keep appearing like if I’m going through puberty every time I shave.

So my question is, did you all have to go through this? Having to wait every single time you shave 3 to 5 days for the face to heal before shaving again? It’s frustrating because I feel I can’t keep practicing as much which makes me feel like my first shave every time.

Thanks guys

Paul

Yes.

I shave daily, and have been since I was in my early 20s. My wife hates stubble, mine is especially rough & feels like a wire brush. I also have a very sensitive skin.

When I started DE shaving - only about two weeks ago - my first shave was a disaster. I did everything backwards, went at it as if I were using a cartridge, and ended up with major irritation, red bumps, and lots of cuts and weepers.

My few consecutive shaves did not go much better. I learned to be more careful but my technique still sucked. I also made a mistake of trying out different blades and razors even though I already knew what combination worked the best for me with least irritation. I had to switch to electric more than once to let my face heal.

My last seven or so daily shaves were great. No irritation, at most a couple very minor cuts, my face feels pampered.

Here's what I learned, hope this can help:

1) Take a hot shower just before shave, let the water hit your face for a while to soften the beard.
2) Only use the blade and razor combo that worked the best, don't experiment just for kicks. For me, it was the Baili 179 or 176 (both very mild razors) and Astra SP blades.
3) Lather, lather, lather, lather. Between each pass. Take your time.
4) Use the minimum amount of pressure - no hand pressure at all, just let the weight of the razor do the job. Do multiple passes over the same area if needed, it's the pressure that's causing irritation.
5) Wash your face with lukewarm water to get the soap off, then with ice cold water and use a lot of it - freeze that redness into submission. I would literally use ice cubes from the fridge if needed.
6) Apply calming treatment. Find something that works for you. For me, Eucerin Baby Eczema cream (oatmeal based) worked great in reducing itchiness.
7) Once a week means you have lots of stubble when you shave. Try doing it more often.

Yes.

I shave daily, and have been since I was in my early 20s. My wife hates stubble, mine is especially rough & feels like a wire brush. I also have a very sensitive skin.

When I started DE shaving - only about two weeks ago - my first shave was a disaster. I did everything backwards, went at it as if I were using a cartridge, and ended up with major irritation, red bumps, and lots of cuts and weepers.

My few consecutive shaves did not go much better. I learned to be more careful but my technique still sucked. I also made a mistake of trying out different blades and razors even though I already knew what combination worked the best for me with least irritation. I had to switch to electric more than once to let my face heal.

My last seven or so daily shaves were great. No irritation, at most a couple very minor cuts, my face feels pampered.

1) Take a hot shower just before shave, let the water hit your face for a while to soften the beard.
2) Only use the blade and razor combo that worked the best, don't experiment just for kicks. For me, it was the Baili 179 or 176 (both very mild razors) and Astra SP blades.
4) Use the minimum amount of pressure - no hand pressure at all, just let the weight of the razor do the job. Do multiple passes over the same area if needed, it's the pressure that's causing irritation.
5) Wash your face with lukewarm water to get the soap off, then with ice cold water and use a lot of it - freeze that redness into submission. I would literally use ice cubes from the fridge if needed.
6) Apply calming treatment. Find something that works for you. For me, Eucerin Baby Eczema cream (oatmeal based) worked great in reducing itchiness.
7) Once a week means you have lots of stubble when you shave. Try doing it more often.

All of this.

Most importantly for me out of this advice? Find the combo that works best for you.

We’ve all had that horror show/meat grinder experience.

I’m fortunate enough to have a shave buddy guru that has been doing this a long time and listened to what I was saying and then recommended to me what he thought would work. He was right and even though experimentation in this hobby is fun, I’m sticking to what I know works.

Being able to shave every day without even the minor irritation is worth it to me. Buying things to try out and ending up bloody and pissed off is not.

Have faith, you’ll get to where this is a fun and relaxing hobby you can enjoy every day.

Good luck man!

Yes.

Thanks for the suggestion! Interesting the part you say that it’s ok to do multiple passes over same area without lathering. That the pressure of it is what causes irritation. It does make sense what you say.

Top Bottom