What's new

Tabac is the best kept secret in shaving

Love the Tabac stick. Self container package and enjoy the smell. Use the stick to face lather with brush or hands. Alternate with LEA stick, but Tabac preferred.

I like MWF more than Tabac. I'm smitten how much I enjoy it. I thought it would be only slightly better than bathing soap. But wow...
Back in 2008 (when I truly went crazy with wet shaving) I had a seriously bad case of SAD. I bought every soap and/or cream I could lay my hands on. That did include a puck of The Fat. I did enjoy MWF quite a bit. Especially the post shave face feel. It was definitely a close contender when I was deciding on what soap I'd use for the next decade. But in the end, Tabac edged it out (even though at that time I found the smell repulsive). I travel for work, so the fact that Tabac comes in stick form was just the proverbial icing.

I actually found my 11 year old puck of MWF just a couple weeks ago. Lathered it up, and it shaved like a champ. Took a ton of water to convince it to finally give up the goods, but in the end it did. It did have a few rancid spots on it, though, so I did end up throwing the puck away when I was done. The smell wasn't the greatest, although when compared to Tabac, rancid MWF ain't too bad! ;)

But that's the nice thing about having soooo many brands and types of shaving soap to choose from nowadays... we can all find the one that fits us just perfectly. Well, most of the time, that is. I'm finally on a quest to find a soap that functions identically to Tabac with a different fragrance.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I simply like shaving with MWF more. I don't think performance is all that matters.
Oh, I totally agree! The best soap is the one that performs best for you. I didn't mean to imply that one is better than the other overall, just in terms of better for me. :) But yeah, I do love MWF. In fact, there's a lot of soaps that I really enjoy, and all for different reasons.

We are so lucky to have so many shaving soaps to choose from. I feel like a kid in an ice cream shop!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm finally on a quest to find a soap that functions identically to Tabac with a different fragrance.

Hm, Mr. Fine may have achieved that a couple years ago ... people agree his soaps are close to Tabac in compositional/function. Close.

AA

Hm, Mr. Fine may have achieved that a couple years ago ... people agree his soaps are close to Tabac in compositional/function. Close.

AA
Thanks for that! I haven't tried Mr. Fine soaps yet... I'll add that to the next order. Very much appreciated.

I bought samples of Tabac, MWF, and Cella in 2015 when I started making my own shave soap. Of the 3 samples I really loved the Tabac best...both scent and performance. I felt my shave soap was so similar to Tabac in performance that I never bothered to buy a puck of it and only pulled the sample out for a shave a couple of times after that.
I've used mine exclusively since then and until recently never considered buying shave soap mostly just because of cost alone. It pained me to think of paying what most soaps cost considering what it costs me to make it my own...but I'm loosening up a bit and they say that variety is the spice of life I guess, so......I just ordered a jar/puck and can't wait to alternate between my soap and the great classic Tabac.

I've made your shave soap, and I love it! Now that I think about it, I might have forgotten to post that in your thread...
Excellent!!! I'm looking forward to adding some lanolin to that recipe and seeing the result.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm one who loves everything about Tabac but I'm posting to give a shout out to M&W's other shave soap/scent that's no longer in production, Sir Irisch Moos. I've got a few of the sticks ( only way it came ) that I grated and " bowled" , aftershave and EdT. Love it too.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm one who loves everything about Tabac but I'm posting to give a shout out to M&W's other shave soap/scent that's no longer in production, Sir Irisch Moos. I've got a few of the sticks ( only way it came ) that I grated and " bowled" , aftershave and EdT. Love it too.
Are the AS and EdT still being made?

Top Bottom