What's new

Corned Beef 2019

I may have trimmed off too much fat. Guess we will find out in a little over a week. I have a question, but first let me explain what I did. Alton Brown said to take 2 quarts of water (plus the spices), add 4 to 5 pounds of ice, then a 5 pound brisket, and put that in a 2 gallon bag. Knowing there was no way to fit all of that in the bag, I let the brine cool naturally (it was 36 in my garage that day) and skipped the ice. It took a while, but it cooled. Will this present any problems (ie overspiced)

Did you add any extra water at all? Or did you just put the brisket in the 2 quarts of brine? I also was wondering about what you said about Alton Brown saying to add 4 to 5 pounds of ice. My (Alton Brown) recipe calls for only 2 pounds of ice, but calls for a 4 to 5 pound brisket. If you put in 4 to 5 pounds of ice, or it's equivalent of water, it may be too underspiced....but it sounds like you didn't.

I don't know if there is a hard and fast water to spice ratio that needs to be adhered to.

Of note, on my earlier posts, the ONLY thing I did differently from Alton Brown was I did NOT add cloves. My wife HATES cloves. They are neither in my pumpkin pies or my corned beefs. I will also do one other thing differently after the brine is over. I read somewhere that the corned beef is at times too salty. So I will remove my corned beef from the bag, rinse it very good, then soak it in cold water for 3 hours. Doing this 3 times total. Then overnight, soak it in cold water again prior to cooking it. Anyone else heard of doing this?

A good long soak in plain water is a great plan Art.
I do at least 24 hours with several water changes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Did you add any extra water at all? Or did you just put the brisket in the 2 quarts of brine? I also was wondering about what you said about Alton Brown saying to add 4 to 5 pounds of ice. My (Alton Brown) recipe calls for only 2 pounds of ice, but calls for a 4 to 5 pound brisket. If you put in 4 to 5 pounds of ice, or it's equivalent of water, it may be too underspiced....but it sounds like you didn't.

I don't know if there is a hard and fast water to spice ratio that needs to be adhered to.

Of note, on my earlier posts, the ONLY thing I did differently from Alton Brown was I did NOT add cloves. My wife HATES cloves. They are neither in my pumpkin pies or my corned beefs. I will also do one other thing differently after the brine is over. I read somewhere that the corned beef is at times too salty. So I will remove my corned beef from the bag, rinse it very good, then soak it in cold water for 3 hours. Doing this 3 times total. Then overnight, soak it in cold water again prior to cooking it. Anyone else heard of doing this?
I misquoted the amount of ice. But even at 2 pounds, how do you get that, and meat, into a 2 gallon bag? I just but brine (once it cooled) and meat in the bag.

I misquoted the amount of ice. But even at 2 pounds, how do you get that, and meat, into a 2 gallon bag? I just but brine (once it cooled) and meat in the bag.
Ah, good to know. In all of my searching, I can't find a 2 gallon bag that I think will fit the brisket. I use this one, as you can see it's much bigger than 2 gallons.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

So in this interim "brine time," what is your preferred cooking method, ie, boil, bake, crock pot, etc .. and why?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

20180317_172212.jpg

Post soak I use a shallow pan with an inch of water/ beer and foil covered to gently braise the CB. 275 degrees for a few hours then 235 till very tender. No reason to boil the hell out of it.

Save some for cb hash.
20160724_071744.jpg

I use a inch or so of liquid total Owen, as the cb will loose quite a bit of liquid as it cooks.
If your foil is tight the steambath does the work. I often have a crowd so I use the roasting pan for 20 lbs raw which will cook down considerably. An oven proof pot as Doak mentioned is just as easy for a lesser amount.

Got my brisket today, should have made an effort earlier -- I keep forgetting about the local place up the way, don't go that way much anymore. A little more than I'd like to pay ($4.99 a pound) but nice beef. Get my fresh sides there too for bacon. Only drawback is the 20 min drive the opposite direction of everywhere else I go...

Will get it in the brine this afternoon when I get the kitchen cleaned up. Will use Penzy's corned beef spice mix this time as a starting point, smells wonderful.

Top Bottom