What's new

Keep your DE blades sharp !

So...... what exactly is the payoff here? You extend the life of a ten cent blade from 4 to 8 days, thus saving you a nickle?

Hello Chris,

extending the life of a 50 ct Feather from 4 days to 2 weeks does save 2 whole bucks. I couldn't resist Phils sale of the Thaeter's , so I have to start saving somewhere :wink2::lol:

Last edited:
I made the world's smallest tinfoil hat for my razor. Works like a charm.

Not true- there is plenty of scientific proof regarding most forms of junk science.

Hi there ouch,

I'm not claiming to have any proof, I explicitly said so earlier. I described and shared an experience that everyone could verify himself, if curious enough. I count physics and magnetism not into junk science and as the blade is pulled to the magnet then obviously there is some interaction. What exactly is happening to the edge, I don't know but what I do know is that it does something positive to the sharpness of the blade, it simply extends the time (number of shaves) before the blade starts tugging.

Btw can you post a pic of your razor with the tinfoil hat:wink2:.

Having practiced medicine for 37 years I have seen many discoveries/inventions proffered with detailed explanations of the hard science behind it, all internally consistent and convincing, only to be disproven when more data comes in and, disturbingly, sometimes later proven "true" again!! What we need here is someone with a microscope, some blades, strong magnets, and two of the same razor. Shave with alternating strokes with alternating razors, inspect and if possible take photomicrographs (some members here have done this before) with one razor getting the magnet treatment and the other stored well away. You should have preliminary data in a week. and NO, I won't do this, just a suggestion to put the matter to rest and stop the bickering!

The most plausible idea that has popped up so far has been the formation of calcite deposits on the blade tip, stemming from the use of magnets to prevent scale formation in water pipes.

Are we talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment or something else? The authors of the wikipedia article seem skeptical: http://www.epjap.org/action/display...4680&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S1286004202000253 seems to be the only favorable study they cite, and there are several unfavorable citations. Here's part of the abstract from the favorable study:

If the magnetic force were strong to keep normal scale from forming, then the razor idea might be somewhat plausible under some circumstances. According to the study quoted at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/265310-electron-microscope-study-of-feather-blades the degradation in Feather blades after five shaves, visible under scanning electron microscope (SEM), was not from corrosion. Mechanical damage may not be the most important factor either, although it was observed.

The experimenter was not able to identify the source of the extra material on the blade edge, which increased the tip radius. I had guessed soap scum, but calcite deposits might be a reasonable candidate. If so, preventing calcite deposits might make the blade feel sharper through more shaves - but would not prevent nicks from surface roughening or edge damage. Also, water hardness seems to affect soap scum, and that might be involved.

Testing this would be best done by removing one razor from its packaging and leaving it, dipping one blade in water once a day and letting it air dry, wiping one blade on soap a day and rinsing it in water then letting it air dry, shaving with one razor every day, and then doing another one of each but leaving them on a magnet.
Unfortunately optical microscopes would probably not be much use, an SEM would be better. It would also be interesting to use EDX to try and pick up any sign of calcium on the surface.
This would identify whether the deposits observed in that microscopy study are from scale deposits, soap deposits, or various parts of the human body, as well as identifying whether the magnet does anything.

OK I thought this was quackery years ago, but I picked up a "Razor Mate" on a lark and used it for years (I think I got it in the late 80's or so). It really does work. I could literally get 2 or 3 months out of a typical cartridge. I get 4 shaves out of a typical DE, so it is not like I have super fine hair, or leather for skin. I know it is supposed to not do anything, but from my testing I will say that they work. I am not one to typically buy the snake oil thing either. Now I have not been using one for my DE as i figured it would only work on one side. I thought about trying to build something like it with 2 magnets to hit both sides, but I have actually been enjoying trying different blades and they are so cheap. I think I will pull my old razor mate out and see if it works on DEs. I also noted that my shave number 2+ was smoother after using the Razor mate but that may just have been normal as I notice that with some DE blades without any magnetic benefit.

Also for all the hate, if it works for the OP then who cares if it should work or not? It is not like he had to spend anything on it.

A little search after the recent post and I found two more commercial products :

Blade Master (distr. by shavemac and by classicshaving)
or
Magna Blade

These use the same technology but of course are more "professional" than my approch of using just a naked magnet itself.
Of course the more stylish design and packaging needs to be paid for :wink2:.
I guess if Mr. Blos is distributing such a product with his reputation for his brushes, than it's likely not only some snake oil effect.

Yes, the Razor Mate is where I think I first saw the concept. The advertising spiel reeks of junk science, junk sales pitch, junk product.
Despite this I can't help but think there is logical reason to think it might work.
A proper double-blind trial would answer the question. But AFAIK none has been done, and probably never will.

You have as much evidence of those who claim that chanting "sharpa sharpa sharpa" at their blades 3 times a day aids longevity, which is none.

Wow. I may have had my doubts before, but it's proven at this point. You are clearly able to remote-sense my shaving regimen, every day, because I use this very same technique for the "one blade in February" challenge. I've got eight shaves out of the same Iridium Super, so far.

This, like, totally freaks me out, too... not because you're psychic, but because if you're watching me shave, then you can see my half-moons!
-- Chet

Hi there,

although no third party verification as it comes from the blade master website...
here some electron microscope pictures of the blade edge (taken at University of Erlangen) original explanation text in German only :
http://www.blade-master.de/index.php?article_id=54&clang=0

proxy.php

New blade

proxy.php

No magnet treatment: blade shows wear, after 7 shaves the blade edge is damaged and not usable anymore

proxy.php

With magent treament hardly any difference to the new blade
Blade edge sharpended with magent after 7 shaves, no damage, fully usable

proxy.php

After 22 shaves, still no damage, almost looks like the new blade.
However there is a rounding effect on the edge after a certain period of time, so this is not going to last indefinatley.

Acc. to various press releases the inventor has a patent (DE 196 45 592) on this device and offered it to Gillette and Wilkinson who thankfully declined (no surprise here). They are obviously not interested in marketing something that cuts their turnover by 75%.

The website obviously is trying to market their product and in the FAQ's on the question if a regular magnet will do the job, too? The answer is "No, the special Blade Master magnet is "produced in secrecy" and a regular magnet will not have the sharpening effect" :w00t:.

LOL, anyone interested .. I call tell that's marketing BS and some commonly available "no hidden secrets magents" work as well.

Last edited:
The website obviously is trying to market their product
Indication #1 that you won't be able to believe their "science"
The answer is "No, the special Blade Master magnet is "produced in secrecy" and a regular magnet will not have the sharpening effect" .
Indication #2 that you won't be able to believe their "science"
LOL, anyone interested .. I call tell that's marketing BS and some commonly available "no hidden secrets magents" work as well.
Even though you can't tell the difference between the "untreated" edge of the blade that was pointed away from the magnet.

Hi there,although no third party verification as it comes from the blade master website...here some electron microscope pictures of the blade edge (taken at University of Erlangen) original explanation text in German only : http://www.blade-master.de/index.php?article_id=54&clang=0
proxy.php
New blade
proxy.php
No magnet treatment: blade shows wear, after 7 shaves the blade edge is damaged and not usable anymore
proxy.php
With magent treament hardly any difference to the new blade Blade edge sharpended with magent after 7 shaves, no damage, fully usable
proxy.php
After 22 shaves, still no damage, almost looks like the new blade.However there is a rounding effect on the edge after a certain period of time, so this is not going to last indefinatley.Acc. to various press releases the inventor has a patent (DE 196 45 592) on this device and offered it to Gillette and Wilkinson who thankfully declined (no surprise here). They are obviously not interested in marketing something that cuts their turnover by 75%.The website obviously is trying to market their product and in the FAQ's on the question if a regular magnet will do the job, too? The answer is "No, the special Blade Master magnet is "produced in secrecy" and a regular magnet will not have the sharpening effect" :w00t:.LOL, anyone interested .. I call tell that's marketing BS and some commonly available "no hidden secrets magents" work as well.
We have no way of knowing whether the damage to the untreated blade was confined entirely to one small point, and likewise we do not know whether similar patches of damage are present on the treated blade but not shown. These images are completely meaningless when presented to us in this way.

We have no way of knowing whether the damage to the untreated blade was confined entirely to one small point, and likewise we do not know whether similar patches of damage are present on the treated blade but not shown. These images are completely meaningless when presented to us in this way.
Icebear admitted that the whole thing was marketing BS.

Icebear admitted that the whole thing was marketing BS.

OK CB, as proven already, you will only read into it what fits your view. That's ok and you also use straights and will never try the magnet, also fine with me.

I did not admit the whole thing was marketing BS.
If you read again: What obviously is marketing BS, is the claim that ONLY their Blade master magnet will work and others NOT. The effect is there and you can get it with any horizontal pole magnet.

Even though you can't tell the difference between the "untreated" edge of the blade that was pointed away from the magnet.
Did you miss this detail?:
I change the blade edge that sits on the magnet everyday i.e. turning the razors so both edges get their fair share of magnet exposure.
And as mentioned, the inverse square rule means that the edge pointing away from the magnet will experience much lower forces.

Last edited:
Did you miss this detail?:

And as mentioned, the inverse square rule means that the edge pointing away from the magnet will experience much lower forces.
In the two photos at the beginning of the thread there are no marks or any other indication on the razors of which way is "up"

I'm still waiting for some scientific evidence not supplied by a marketing department.

At best, I'm not seeing it doing anything that a quick palm stropping wouldn't do.

Another thought... if the dulling of a razor blade is due to rounding of the edge, if that portion of the edge that is rounded is so soft that a magnet can "pull" it back into shape, the first hair that it hits after "treatment", being about as tough as a copper wire of the same diameter, would immediately bend that edge back over.

A blade looses it's edge in part due to corrosion, which is caused be electrolysis. A magnet may slow or stop the cossosion on the edge of the blade, thus extending the life of the blade. I doubt you could add more then a few shaves though. You still need some mechanical action to restore the edge.

Top Bottom