What's new

Keep your DE blades sharp !

I skimmed this thread briefly - my understanding of the OP is that playing a DE razor on a strong magnet helps to realign the microns-thin edge. Corrosion resistance via drying/alcohol would be a separate effect, I think.

My gut instinct questions whether even a strong magnet is strong enough to realign a blade edge, even if it is microns-thin. I would be curious if someone with a good microscope that is capable of examining blade edge and alignment would take 2 blades - 1 not exposed to a magnet and the other continuously exposed to a magnet, both being used for an equivalent amount of shaving after a week and then examining the edge to see if there is a difference. Better yet would be a daily microscopic examination.

That doesn't address the question if placing the razor on a magnet, or drying/alcohol swishing makes a difference. Frankly, for the cost of blades, the only type of treatment I would actually consider doing is a spritz of alcohol to help dry the blade to prevent micro-corrosion, and then only if it actually works (I don't know if that does anything or not).

proxy.php

Nooooooooooooo! I've just finished reading this thread, and was looking forward to the next update from AnakiMana. Last update he was still going strong with the experiment. Oh well, I'm guessing the conclusion was that this was bunk? Wonder if IceBear is still using his magnets. :crying:

Yeah, what was the final outcome AnakiMana? It's like a cliff hanger. He certainly was going longer than I would care to with I feather blade in a red tip.

I purchased a "Razor-Keeper" from Sharper Image while on vacation in Hawaii. I thought it was a joke but bought it anyway. Best decision I ever made. I'm on the 2nd to the last razor from the original pack of Mack-3's I purchased years ago, we're talking ~2k5. I honestly cannot recall when the last time I changed bladed; I moved to this apartment four and a half years ago as of this writing and still using the same blade. After I shave I just pat dry with my towel and put it in the Magnetic Keeper. I have to admit I only shave once a week, but that's still a lot of use to get out of one blade. Blah, Blah, Blah. I do believe magnets do have some sort of (+) effect on the character of the metal. I would gladly submit my razor blade to be tested by a metallurgist.

Fellow DE razor users, pardon if this is a very "old hat" here. I searched but couldn't find anything related ...

Anyway, I store my razors that are in my rotation and loaded with a blade sitting on a magnet. Just a regular office (ferrit) magnet will do, a stronger neodym magnet will do better. I get 3 to 5 shaves (2 passes) regular usage from a blade. With the magnets I easily extend this to 3 weeks. Sometimes I can't remember when I actually last time put a new blade in. There is no scientific proof of any kind just personal experience. You get yourself a magnet for 2 bucks, ok the neodyms are maybe $4-5 a piece and give it a try. I change the blade edge that sits on the magnet everyday i.e. turning the razors so both edges get their fair share of magnet exposure. Works for me and just wanted to share it here.

Here the Mergress on the neodym magnet:

full

And here a 37c on a ferrit magnet:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was a long time ago! The magnet really did work, despite me feeling that there must be some other explanation. I forgot about it until this thread just got resurrected. Anyway, in the end (I'll have to find my notes later) the blade started to get very rough. But it was seriously a long time and I only had the magnet to credit. I stopped using it because I liked my rotation, and haven't been able to keep a blade more than a week at best since then. Maybe I should try again. Now I have a microscope i can use to check the blade's deterioration.

Top Bottom