What's new

Keep your DE blades sharp !

Not at all.
I'm all over new technology. No fear of it at all. I've gone through my entire life trying new things. Some I like, some I don't, and some I could take or leave.

But I like to see a logical basis and at least SOME evidence (from someone other than the guy selling it) that it works.

Right now, we're still at the point of the "pyramid power" claims from the late 70s and 80s.
Wife bought one of those pyramids to "charge her crystals". I stuck some blades in it. Didn't do anything.

Not at all.
I'm all over new technology. No fear of it at all. I've gone through my entire life trying new things. Some I like, some I don't, and some I could take or leave....

I didn't specificly mention anybody .. but hey since you picked it up. You seem to have a good sense of humor, too. Starting to like you actually:001_smile.

I totally admit that there is no real scientific explanation how it works or what's happening at all, deal. Even though I generally appreciate some common sense explanation, this "magnet stuff" just works. And since a magnet is as expense as a pack of blades or a shave stick, anyone could just gvie it a try. The commercial folks selling their special version give full money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. So I'm pretty sure this is at least commercial proof that not all people who fell for the expensive versions did sent it back. Otherwise all companies would be broke already.

How much was that pyramid you put your blades in ? :lol:

I didn't ask, but knowing what she paid for some other items, probably about 10x what I could have spent at Home Depot buildeing the same thing :biggrin:

As I spend from $0.10 to $0.45 per DE blade I am happy to get 3 or 4 great shaves from a blade then pop in a new one. I really can't see fussing to extend the life of a DE blade. If I was using a Mach3 or Fusion which are much more expensive, I might consider the fuss, but not for a DE blade.

Hmm, if blades corrode due to electrolytic exchange, then we need razors with sacrificial anodes installed to prevent this!

You could always find one of these old Gillette Blade Sharpeners. I tend to agree with the majority though, blades are cheap enough where I would rather just pop in a new blade. This is a pretty cool piece to have in a collection though. I've seen a couple (non of them still functioning), but they were pretty awesome
$225976d1256023766-anyone-here-into-wet-shaving-blade-sharpener.jpg

Remove the blade after every shave. Dry it using a hair drying, which prevents dulling the edge thru contact. Gently buff the blade in counter clockwise motions using 0000 steel wool. Apply 11to coats of bees wax, allowing one hour between coats.
After this process, store the blade in the freezer because of the low humidity.
This willing allow your blade to last substantially longer and certainly beats 9 cents for a new blade (lol).

You could always find one of these old Gillette Blade Sharpeners. I tend to agree with the majority though, blades are cheap enough where I would rather just pop in a new blade. This is a pretty cool piece to have in a collection though. I've seen a couple (non of them still functioning), but they were pretty awesome
View attachment 221342

mine still works.i had to turn the strop over but it still does a fine job

I'm gonna try it just for fun. It's hilarious to see so many people get so upset or uptight over this. Could it be that some folks worship a shave god and you're challenging their religious views? Wouldn't it be funny if it really worked, but those hippies with their pyramids created so much negativity on the subject of magnets that everyone wrote it off?

I have a few pairs of same model razors... might as well set up two identical razors with same blade and since I shave every morning, I could alternate and journal my results.

Razors I could use: Red Tip SuperSpeeds, Flare Tip SuperSpeeds, Slims, FatBoys, Fat Handle Techs, Ball End Techs
Blades I could use: Feather, Astra SP, Lord Platinum (i'm thinking Feathers)
Soap/Cream: I should use a brushless cream so it's consistent. Right?

... and just to be clear, I'm skeptical but open minded about it. I think if nothing else it'll be a fun project and provide some entertainment and best case scenario it really works and we might all benefit.

And scraping across your face doesn't?

yes it does.the object is to gain more shaves from a dulled blade,and the coating on modern blades is what makes them smooth.old carbon blades might come back to life with some stropping but will a coated blae after loosing it coating ever be smooth again?guess we'er about ot find out.ive get a kriss kross stropper with a good strop in it and ill try a duller blade in it and see.

I can confirm that the KrisKross (and the Twinplex) stropper bring back dull blades to a state where they will cut arm hair (when they struggled prior). I haven't had a chance to try shaving with one though to see if it has any impact on smoothness...it's on a long, long list of shaving todo's :). Maybe I'll try to bump up the priority of that experiment.

yes it does.the object is to gain more shaves from a dulled blade,and the coating on modern blades is what makes them smooth.old carbon blades might come back to life with some stropping but will a coated blae after loosing it coating ever be smooth again?guess we'er about ot find out.ive get a kriss kross stropper with a good strop in it and ill try a duller blade in it and see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom