What's new

Keep your DE blades sharp !

$Cursed-Magnets.jpg

I'm <em> who claim that chanting "sharpa sharpa sharpa" at their blades 3 times a</em>

going the incantation route.

Please tell me how you properly aligned the magnet fields of the magnet with the blade of the razor, so that the blade is properly aligned instead of being further warped.

You are contributing to the dumbing down of society.

Post #1 has two pictures that tell it all, no further alignment necessary :biggrin1:.
Thinking about a problem has never made anybody dumber ...even when you are in disagreement.

Here is an useful illustration (see Fig. 3) from :

http://www.caseyspm.com/Knives.html

wPTepnaIweB1QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Maybe what's called the burr, is more appropriate than what I was calling the edge.
It's just the thinnest material on the outer edge of the blade, I can very well imagine that this thinner than a hair material can be aligned along the magnetic field.

I'm not sure about magnets, but I found that shaving while completely beardless will extend blade life significantly.

Last edited:
I put mine in the same room as the MRI machine at work. Funny the rad tech got a little pissed off when she saw razor blades flying all over the room...
Aaron

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Funny you should mention this. I have this really BIG electromagnet and I've been shaving on the same blade for 9 months!

$5K2010.jpg

I will try to take a picture of the edge of my chef's knife and see if I can work something out to explain it better. This thin edge is usually not worn but just bent and for a certain amount of time just putting it back in the upright position by honing on a sharpening steel will be sufficient to continue cutting. At some point you will need to grind a new edge.
And what direction do you hone on the steel?
Is it a "stropping" motion with the spine leading, or a "honing" motion with the blade leading?

All of the guys that I've seen at sushi bars are sharpening on their rods using a blade-leading motion.
That is not straightening a bent edge, it is removing that burr.

And on a razor, the edge is far, far, far thinner than even the finest kitchen cutlery... With the hardness of the blade, any attempt to "bend" an edge back will result in that edge breaking off.

Post #1 has two pictures that tell it all, no further alignment necessary :biggrin1:.
Thinking about a problem has never made anybody dumber ...even when you are in disagreement.
So even assuming that it actually works....

Does the magnetic pull not worsen the "bend" on the side of the blade that's pointing upward?

So even assuming that it actually works....

Does the magnetic pull not worsen the "bend" on the side of the blade that's pointing upward?

Good question. I guess the greater distance from the magnet (force weakens by square of distance?) is sufficient not have any negative effect on the other side. When using the razor in the morning I use both sides equally, not only the side that was resting on the magnet overnight and there's no significant difference to me.

And what direction do you hone on the steel?
Is it a "stropping" motion with the spine leading, or a "honing" motion with the blade leading?....

Ever since I started using the Japanese stones and following the "Chef's edge" instructions, I never used that honing steel even for my western style knifes but when I was still using it, I used a stropping motion with the spine leading.

Good question. I guess the greater distance from the magnet (force weakens by square of distance?) is sufficient not have any negative effect on the other side. When using the razor in the morning I use both sides equally, not only the side that was resting on the magnet overnight and there's no significant difference to me.
There ya go.

You said it right there.
There's no significant difference to the treated edge and the edge that is too far away from the magnet to be affected.

You do realize that its not the kid that looks dumb when an adult mocks his imaginary friend?

Ahh... but I bet you could shave that imaginary friend for a year on a single blade, and still have the blade just as sharp as a new one as long as you dipped the blade in alcohol, then mineral oil, then chanted sharpa sharpa sharpa 3 times at it, while placing it on a magnet inside of a pyramid that is properly aligned to the true celestial north-south poles of the universal cosmic consciousness. ;)

Ahh... but I bet you could shave that imaginary friend for a year on a single blade, and still have the blade just as sharp as a new one as long as you dipped the blade in alcohol, then mineral oil, then chanted sharpa sharpa sharpa 3 times at it, while placing it on a magnet inside of a pyramid that is properly aligned to the true celestial north-south poles of the universal cosmic consciousness. ;)

How did you know? :scared:

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

There ya go.

You said it right there.
There's no significant difference to the treated edge and the edge that is too far away from the magnet to be affected.

... you are going to read into it whatever you like anyway, so I'm not trying to explain the between the lines thing:wink2:.

If you really want to find out, just get yourself a magnet and try it for yourself. Maybe you can start a magnet PIF afterwards in case you are not convinced:lol::lol::lol:

Icebear, I'm not so good with my science facts but I believe nowadays they can fashion a magnet into any shape and size, so going by your theory... a magnetized blade would be the ultimate whisker-whackin' bristle-snapper or am I getting it all wrong again?

Last edited:
Top Bottom