What's new

Luc DE Blades Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have 5 blades that I used for a while in my rotation. They are Astra Superior Platinum (Russia), Lord Super Stainless (Egypt), Gillette 7 o'Clock Super Stainless (Russia), Derby Premium (Turkey), and Feather Hi-Stainless (Japan).

Recently, I asked which blades were your top blade as my stash of Astra SP is coming to an end. Astra is now made in India. Astra SP worked very well with all my razors so that's why I liked that one. Something like Feather works well too. It is best paired with my Gillette Tech.

I probably went overboard but I ordered a bunch of different blades that I will test with different razors (that I like) to see if I can find a few replacements.

Data -> Luc_DE_Blades_Review_Project - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Luc_DE_Blades_Review_Project
IMG_1901.JPG

So, since most blade packs come in a pack of 5, I will test 5 razors. I do a full face shave with 3 passes, every day. I will test the blades until I feel that they are done.

I will start with the Astra Superior Platinum (control group) made in Russia. I will then go directly to the Astra SP made in India.

I believe that I might have 2 duplicates (the Dorco ST-300 and the Dorco Titan (small head, big head)).

The razors are, from left to right:
  • Merkur 38c
  • Gillette Tech
  • Gillette 7 o'clock
  • Muhle DE86RC
  • Fendrhian MKII Scientist
IMG_1902.JPG

Titan is an excellent blade. I think it’s just packaging. I believe the blade itself is still the same (provided you have the Vietnamese version and not the Korean ones). The other Dorco’s are equally good (ST300HQ) - the far right package I haven’t seen before. Is that a paper tuck version of the ST301?

Nice thread Luc! It will be interesting to read about your experiences with these blades. Some overlap with my Blade Bonanza - fun to compare notes on.

Cheers and enjoy!

Guido

Ps: what happened to the KCG razor? I thought that was your go to recently?

Luc

Staff member
Titan is an excellent blade. I think it’s just packaging. I believe the blade itself is still the same (provided you have the Vietnamese version and not the Korean ones). The other Dorco’s are equally good (ST300HQ) - the far right package I haven’t seen before. Is that a paper tuck version of the ST301?

Nice thread Luc! It will be interesting to read about your experiences with these blades. Some overlap with my Blade Bonanza - fun to compare notes on.

Cheers and enjoy!

Guido

Ps: what happened to the KCG razor? I thought that was your go to recently?
The far-right Dorco (white and red) is the ST301 yes.

I never owned a King C Gillette razor. Merkur 38c is the normal go-to razor.

The far-right Dorco (white and red) is the ST301 yes.

I never owned a King C Gillette razor. Merkur 38c is the normal go-to razor.
Ah my mind is mixing everything up! Always nice…*sigh* And the tuck left to the ST301. What type is that?!

Luc

Staff member
Updated wiki page with Astra SP Control Group / Gillette Tech. I had to cut it short as I got a bit of irritation on the neck. So far, it's BBS shaves. I loaded the 7 o'clock head for tonight.

Dorco has said ST-300 and ST-301 are the same blade in different packaging, but I still think there is a difference as I find 301's a great shave and 300's rough.

Luc

Staff member
Dorco has said ST-300 and ST-301 are the same blade in different packaging, but I still think there is a difference as I find 301's a great shave and 300's rough.
Those were my observations with both ST-301 and ST-300 when they were made in Korea. Now that they are made in Vietnam, I have yet to try them. I cannot say if history will repeat itself at this stage.

Having said that, one is platinum, and the other one is stainless. Technically, they are different (maybe just a little).

Dorcos are among my favorite blades - Primes (STP301), then Titans (STL-300), then the 300s. The 300 and 301 are currently the same blade with the 301s in the plastic tuck. If I remember right, the Korean old equipment required 2 different lines but the new Vietnamese equipment uses one. My face suggests the old Korean 301 is the Vietmanese Titan (and improved smoothness). All are platinum and Teflon coated. The Titans and Primes have 2 Teflon coatings. I suspect the new Vietnamese equipment has much finer precision and control over the grinding process and the resulting bevels on the blades and differences among them.

I find all 3 better to the Astra SP. They are also the most consistent across my menagerie of razors.

I've not seen the blue yellow packaging before. Is there a product number on it?
20240318_093848.jpg
20240318_093816.jpg

Luc

Staff member
@Stikeyoda, which blue and yellow packaging are you referring to? See picture in post 1 (second-row #4 - Dorco ST-300 or third-row #2 - Titan small head)?

@Stikeyoda, which blue and yellow packaging are you referring to? See picture in post 1 (second-row #4 - Dorco ST-300 or third-row #2 - Titan small head)?
Sorry, the one the says "ultra sharp". I also haven't seen the small head titan before. I would assume that is just a packaging supplier mess up. Are the 2 titan product numbers different?

Luc

Staff member
Sorry, the one the says "ultra sharp". I also haven't seen the small head titan before. I would assume that is just a packaging supplier mess up. Are the 2 titan product numbers different?
The ultra sharp is on Row 2 - #4 => Dorco CO. LTD labeled New Platinum ST300. On the back:
As the newest cutting edge technology of DORCO KOREA, HQ TECHNOLOGY gives much better cutting force by improving 111% compared to the previous ST300 with ensuring a comfortable & safe shaving.

The code bar is: 8801038200019
The production number that I have on the side is: 1219820AP

Interestingly, they are marked Stainless Steel at the front but New Platinum at the back.

The other pack of Dorco (Row 2 - #3) has the same code bar and markings at the back of the tuck. I would say that they are the same. No production number on the tuck.

The Dorco Titan (small head - Row 3 - #2). The back is written in Vietnamese but the model would be: Dorco STL300-10P
The code bar is: 8801038570617

The Dorco Titan (big head - Row 3 - #1). Same code bar as Titan's small head.

I got those Dorco blades at Wet Shaving – Bolzano, Gillette, Personna Double Edge Razor Blades - https://www.razorbladesclub.com/ so I'm guessing they are both in production but must be for different markets.

The ultra sharp is on Row 2 - #4 => Dorco CO. LTD labeled New Platinum ST300. On the back:

The code bar is: 8801038200019
The production number that I have on the side is: 1219820AP

Interestingly, they are marked Stainless Steel at the front but New Platinum at the back.

The other pack of Dorco (Row 2 - #3) has the same code bar and markings at the back of the tuck. I would say that they are the same. No production number on the tuck.

The Dorco Titan (small head - Row 3 - #2). The back is written in Vietnamese but the model would be: Dorco STL300-10P
The code bar is: 8801038570617

The Dorco Titan (big head - Row 3 - #1). Same code bar as Titan's small head.

I got those Dorco blades at Wet Shaving – Bolzano, Gillette, Personna Double Edge Razor Blades - https://www.razorbladesclub.com/ so I'm guessing they are both in production but must be for different markets.
Most likely packaging for different markets. Colors in particular have different meanings in different cultures. It could also just be a second or third source packaging supplier screw up and rather than refuse the lots Dorco too a huge discount and used them.

Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
I'm still testing out a few things but a change is coming up in the data. It will affect the Wiki table as I will switch a few razors. Stay tuned... I will probably update mid-April. I need to finish my pack of Astra SP (Russia) first.

Some of the razors that I listed were collecting dust for a bit. I remember liking them but also, now they feel too much, so I will switch gears and put something that works better. I want to keep this a 5 razor rotation so that I can use the 5 blades that come in a tuck (I know, some are 10 blades and Winner is 11 (This is Spinal TAP!) but most are 5 blades).

I guess the few white hairs that I'm getting are making me more sensitive! :lol1:

Luc

Staff member
I need to stop asking questions and try to focus on what I have in the mail...

Since I started this thread, I bought more blades from different vendors to round up for free shipping. Some of my razors aren't what they are used to so, I bought a few razors (I am not prepared to disclose the exact number but it's over 5)... I will fix the line-up once I receive everything to test them.

I bought another package from RBC because I looked at the best-selling blades and I believe a few of them would be a good addition.

Then, I got the genius idea of looking for Tech clone since I love my Gillette Tech. I ended up buying a modern production Tech and a many few vintages....

I was all quiet last year, trying to finish my stash of soaps that I keep in the basement. I bought a big puck of Martin de Candre.

You guys are a bad influence but I only have myself to blame!

I should be in a position to finalize the lineup next week or in 2 weeks at the latest.

Luc

Staff member
I'm in the process of looking at the last 2 razors. Updated wiki with the Fendrihan MKII data.

I probably push my blades a bit too much. I understand that it's not a one-size-fits-all (i.e. I won't get 10 shaves out of each razor even if I shave the same surface with the same passes).

Once I get the last razor (eBay says next week), I should be able to post some pictures and the new line-up. The first blade to be tested will be the Astra SP made in India since the Astra SP (Russia) is fairly fresh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom